Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

D3 springs easier to install than Eibachs!

12K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  random84 
#1 · (Edited)
Because they around 1/2" shorter uncompressed! I'll have to report back on ride height after a few days of driving (and replacing a sheared bolt! ), but initially it looks to be about the same on the road.

Fronts:

Rears:

In both photos, the bottom coils were laid even with perspective focused on the tops.

--------------------------------------------------------
Due to multiple PM's asking my opinions on the springs, I wanted to update the OP so it's easier to understand:

The car is clearly more firm and responsive with the D3 springs - which are definitely more stiff. Obviously less "nose dive" on braking (touring mode), which was pretty egregious with the Eibachs (more than stock, IMHO). The Eibachs were slightly more spongy feeling than OEM all around, but I'm a guy that hits "Sport" on the mag ride every time I start the car. The overall ride height is within a 1/8" of the Eibachs as best I can tell.

I'd say D3 Comps in Touring mode is similar to, if not slightly more firm, than Eibachs in Sport mode as a rough comparison.

Along with the increase in stiffness, there is definitely more feedback from the road both good and bad. You feel more bumps (harshness) but also have more confidence and feedback when turning. It's more Corvette-like, which I was after. However 80% of you would hate it. It is veering away from that Caddy Comfort that the Eibachs preserved pretty well - which is why I think so many people love them: a lower car with OEM-like ride quality.

FWIW: D3 "Ride Height Adjustment Rods" are ~4 5/16" long. I did not install these and have had zero issues - perhaps the Wagon just thinks I've gained a few pounds, have a passenger and will compensate. :D

Comparison Summary:
* D3 says their comp springs are 50% more stiff (progressive rate) than stock. I believe it, but it "feels" more like 30-40% more stiff (in a good way). Eibach says their springs are also progressive and ~10% more stiff than stock - they feel 10% softer than stock; but it may have to due with the progressive nature of the spring rates defying my butt-meter.

* If your goal is to drive excessively fast while maintaining crisp control of your 4400lb luxury vehicle, lower the center of gravity for better performance and occasionally power-slide through on-ramps on your way to Willow Springs, then the D3 Comps (or possibly RED lowering springs) are for you.

* If your goal is to lower the vehicle while retaining that Cadillac Comfort ride, then Eibachs are hands-down the best choice.

* If you don't know, stay with the Eibachs - it's the safe choice for someone who just wants "Oh hey, look! My car is lowered!" You'll still be able to take the Wife out to dinner and she probably won't notice a difference.

* I believe BOTH sets will lower the car approximately the same amount. There are plenty of photos, and plenty of people will cut a few inches of coil off to lower the car further - but I do not recommend this unless you know what you're doing.

IMHO, the D3 are the best choice hands-down for me, but I have a "5DR ZR1" license plate and don't like driving a nicely-equipped waterbed to work. FWIW I have returned to hitting the "Comp Mode" suspension setting button on every key start again now that I've gotten accustom to the ride. I also hate going back to factory 19" wheels because of the slushy ride! But that's me.

See less See more
#2 ·
Why did you switch?

#4 ·
I wanted a more firm spring than the Eibachs. I didn't want to spend twice as much, so I picked up the D3's used when they came along.

Due to shearing a bolt during the switch (ugh) it will be a week or so for the review. Initially, I feel more of the road - what many might describe as harshness - relative to the Eibachs, which is expected.

I personally feel the Eibachs were slightly less firm than OEM though the specs suggest otherwise. I'm the kind of guy that leaves the suspension on "sport" 24-7 FWIW!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Will follow your review on handling and ride quality comparison. Keep us posted

#5 ·
Interesting info, I will watch for your update.

Personally, I have the Eibachs. I like the Eibachs because they only added about 25% "harshness" when compared to the stock ride comfort (I wouldn't want any harsher, which the D3 may be), but gave the car the .8" drop or so I was after. I will be curious to see where your car levels out now. Did you take measurements?

#6 ·
Tentative update:

I'm not pushing the car yet (broken bolt in suspension); but the car is clearly more firm. Obviously less "nose dive" on braking (touring mode), which was pretty obvious with the Eibachs. IMHO the Eibachs were slightly more spongy feeling than OEM, but I'm a guy that hits "Sport" on the mag ride every time I start the car. The overall ride height is within a 1/8" of the Eibachs but I'll measure after a few days of settling.

I'd say D3 Comps in Touring mode is similar to, if not slightly more firm, than Eibachs in Sport mode as a rough comparison.

Along with the increase in stiffness, there is definitely more feedback from the road both good and bad. You feel more bumps (harshness) but also have more confidence and feedback when turning. It's more Corvette-like, which I was after. However 80% of you would hate it. It is veering away from that Caddy Comfort that the Eibachs preserved pretty well.

Summary:
* If your goal is to drive excessively fast while maintaining crisp control of your 4400lb luxury vehicle, lower the center of gravity for better performance and occasionally power-slide through on-ramps on your way to Willow Springs, then the D3 Comps are for you.
* If your goal is to lower the vehicle, have a marginal improvement in responsiveness while retaining that Cadillac Comfort ride, then Eibachs are hands-down the best choice.
* If you don't know, stay with the Eibachs - no question.

#7 ·
Sounds like I might need to swap out my Eibachs for D3's...

#10 ·
I feel we have relatively high quality roads and highways here in SW Ohio. Compared to Chicago or something that could make a huge difference also, but IMHO I'm going to be happier with the D3 units. Swaybars are the next obvious improvement.

But yeah, I personally like the trade-off.

#11 ·
Did you install the rods to retain the magna-ride inputs?

#12 ·
No, I did not. The way I figure it, the shorter rods just trick the car into thinking it's at normal ride height. As it is now, the car thinks it's lower, with 4 people in it due to the compression. If the mag-ride input is linear then this should help firm things up more. if the mag-ride input is parabolic then it should firm up even more than that. :)

Honestly, I don't know enough about the mag-ride parameters to know what is changed, other than the car thinking it's carrying more mass (and thus sitting lower). The relative rate of change in cornering and braking is still preserved either way.

Thoughts?

#18 ·
Ride is excellent. I don't even switch to "sport" anymore - and that's saying something since I've literally been doing that for 18 months.

Much more confident feeling, definitely what I was after and I'm glad I switched.

#19 ·
Does anyone know the lengths of the stock mag-ride rods and the shorter ones? I bought my car already lowered so don't know if they did the rods. I get the damn "service stabilitrac" every time I drive the car now and am hoping the shorter rods remedy this. I used to only get it with passengers, but after the sub install, it's all the time, so it has to be related to ride height

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 on Tapatalk

#20 ·
I can measure the d3 rods tomorrow (didn't install them and no codes). You might want to make sure the sensors are seated properly on the front shocks, or that something wasn't damaged during install?

Just checking in again to say how much I like the stiffer springs. Expected Compromise on rough roads... but absolutely dreamy on "regular" roads and highways!

#21 ·
I can measure the d3 rods tomorrow (didn't install them and no codes). You might want to make sure the sensors are seated properly on the front shocks, or that something wasn't damaged during install?

Just checking in again to say how much I like the stiffer springs. Expected Compromise on rough roads... but absolutely dreamy on "regular" roads and highways!

How much of a compromise and would you say that there is more of a compromise due to running 20" wheels as well.

#26 ·
Glad the d3 fit the bill for you! But gotta agree that the d3 psychobabble on the rods and blown shocks is a farce

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Random,

Thank you for the great comparison. This exactly what I was looking for.

#34 ·
May be having to order the RED lowering springs.

As long as nobody else had real issues with needing those rods Ill be doing those. I am coming from a 2012 C63 AMG which only has FIRM. No adjustable suspension. Always feel everything on the road and bumps/holes/ruts are jarring. So Ill be alright

#36 ·
I think I'm 40k miles in on the D3. They're great and I think they've softened a bit. It's really not harsh - if I were to do it over I might just go straight coil overs and sell off the mag ride to offset costs... [emoji1]

But with that said I have been very pleased with them and I stand by my original review. The only way it could be better is if we could get a reasonably priced swaybar to go with them!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.