Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

Ported blower only

42K views 138 replies 37 participants last post by  Jokerz 
#1 · (Edited)
Cliff Notes:
Port only swap: +23 / +17
another 3/4 lb of boost on the high end
No added timing - 22* was the most it would take, but approx 2.5% more fuel.

It had just stopped raining before the final pull.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setup:
Ok, baseline is in - 612 / 580. We're down about 40 / 50 from the exhaust swap in March. Of course, it was 40 degrees and dry then - 83-91 degrees and humid/drizzling today. However, the power curves are pretty similar so I will blame this on the weather, a hot car (and a conservative street tune!). So, ladies and gentlemen, THIS is why we do baselines!

Today's baseline (red line) vs best pull from 03-19-15. AFR just about the same at 11.25-11.45 but 1-2 degrees less timing from March:

I am sweating as I type this while sitting in an air-conditioned shop. Yes, it's hot and a bad day for glory numbers! I am logging every dyno pull to check for KR or other issues and will post those up later. I completed 4 baseline pulls to make sure fuel and timing were in-line, with NO timing changes inbetween the Before/After runs. Approximately 2.5% fuel was added in total, with AFR of 11.5.

Final before / after:

Datalogs of the Baseline Run (NOTE: Wideband is not accurate!)

Datalog of the AFTER Run. Timing is unchanged, however I am pulling more boost and get a touch of KR at the top of the AFTER pull (it did not appear to affect peak numbers much). Again, very hot, very humid and not ideal for a blower-car glory run:

Boost Curve Delta:

Spreadsheet Deltas:

Thoughts:
* I think ~25/20 is a realistic expectation for typical ported blower gains. Clearly, the 90+ heat and humidity can crush your dyno-dreams on a blower car! * Also, My S/C was over-ported in the intake area relative to the stock heads intake runners, possibly contributing to a small amount of power loss - how much is debatable. However, every ported S/C I've seen does this so I mention it only as an FYI to Brett and others to be sure to clarify what heads you're intending to use the S/C on.
* Boost is up across the board, which implies gains from the snout and transition porting. I think the ideal setup is how my S/C is ported pre-rotor, with only smoothing to the post-rotor intake runner area without hogging it out. I expect boost (pre-rotor S/C efficiency) would increase further if I had a 90mm or 102mm throttle body and appropriate CAI.
* The greatest gains were 6K and up - the baseline pull definitely flattens off, whereas the AFTER run has a more natural curve to it in spite of 0.4* KR at 6200 RPM. IMHO, this suggests the unported casting is starting to struggle to support enough airflow at the higher end of the curve - whereas the ported unit has less restriction and more efficiency.
* I baselined with a conservative street-orientated tune in timing and desired AFR (11.5 or less). Peak power numbers could be increased with a leaner AFR; however that was not my goal. Dynos are always optimistic without the full load, heat soak and dynamics of pulling hard on the street.
* Although there were a few miscommunications between Jokerz and I, I think the quality of his porting is as good as anyone and he strikes me as an honest, honorable guy to work with. He went out of his way to fix those little things that pop up when you're working on a timeline, at his cost and without argument. I am really impressed with his character and dedication to making a name for himself here on the board.

Recommendations:
* Make sure your porter knows if you're running stock LSA heads, ported LSA heads or aftermarket.
* Colder, more dense air in the spring / fall could theoretically support up to a 40 RWHP gain IMHO given the boost, timing and power levels. I might dyno again if cooler weather comes in soon, just to see what happens!
* After handling a competitor's product last year and posting photos of the porting, I prefer Jokerz' product and have the highest level of trust in his competency. My opinion is that I will buy his services again; the competitor's I would not.
* I personally suspect there will be little to no reproducible power difference between the various S/C porting options - I think the bread and butter of opening these things up is in the snout and case transition; everything else is for looks. Simply put, I personally would recommend Brett / Jokerz over any presently-available supercharger porting service without question, even though some competitors have more aggressive porting in some less-critical areas.

--------------------------- UPDATE -----------------------------------

ETA: A second ported supercharger comparison was completed 08/28/15 to test a different snout and runner configuration. That variance only netted +4-5 RWHP with no change in peak torque. However, I wanted to update this post to show that a re-dyno of the same original Jokerz ported supercharger picked up another 15 RWHP when dynoed in more forgiving dry, 70* weather!

This is the overlay of the final 6/12/2015 dyno run with Jokerz ported supercharger (90+ degree temps while raining) vs the SAME supercharger - with NO hardware changes other than some fueling and timing tweaks - on the SAME dyno 6 weeks later on 08/28/2015 (70 degree temps and dry):

Delta: +14 RWHP due to temperature changes.

NOTE: Timing was pulled on the street, which is likely why peak torque is actually DOWN in the second, cooler run. But I have to keep it safe for my daily driving, so no glory runs here. Sorry.

See less See more
#5 ·
Once I get everything completed I'll edit my first post, but JUST comparing today's baseline:

IAT2 is ~34 degrees hotter than 03/19 the entire run

Timing is off -1.5 to 2 degrees from 5800 up due to my conservative tuning on the street.

K/PA is +3 to +4 across the board higher than baseline.

ECT was exactly the same (192 deg)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#10 ·
^ that, I think all we want to see is the delta.

Also curious to see the if the IATs drop at all. I recall seeing somewhere that ported blower should keep IATs lower and faster recovery times.
Well you Cunts are in luck - because I should not have to make ANY changes to the tune whatsoever for this afternoon. We're waiting on some blower oil to fill up the case and then see what happens! Probably about another hour.

Once the "final" numbers are done, I plan on adding back in that lost timing from the March dyno and see how much (if any) gain I get from the additional timing. I don't think it will hold up on the street, but it will be interesting to see if that "20 RWHP per degree" rule holds true. Fun times!

#9 ·
As long as you baseline and do the runs in the same day/conditions...that's all that really matters. We are not in glory pull dyno season right now. That is for sure.

#11 ·
Hurry up already!

Reactions: MarkRacerX
#13 ·
In for results

#14 ·
Old:

New:

#15 ·
They're a lot shinier, that's for sure! Lol

Reactions: random84
#17 · (Edited)
I preferenced the non-mirror polish, so that's just smooth and clean. Still getting the top end back together.

Just started raining - a little extra humidity should help boost the numbers! [emoji79]

Wagon is done - waiting on the dyno.

#18 · (Edited)
Damn this is getting exciting!! :cool:
I'm really glad to see this post as it really puts my reslults in perspective. My car was dynoed almost exact same weather conditions per NWS airport conditions, I felt like the car would make a little bit more, can't wait to dyno in decent weather, also can't wait to get to the drag strip. Looking forward to seeing your results!!

#23 · (Edited)
Taking 4% more fuel give or take...

Next time I'll live stream, and you can be bored out of your minds. Been here 7 hours now having dyno difficulty...

#27 · (Edited)
What??? NO HAPPY ENDING YET?!?!?!

Also, why so much oil in the case? You're still running a can, aren't you?

#28 ·
Just a couple of comments:

It takes approximately 1.5 cfm to generate 1.0 Hp.
So to make more HP one needs to feed more air
to the engine so that one can add more fuel and
therefore increase the 'Mass Charge'.

If the 'Peak' torque increases at about the same RPM as logged
with the 'Base Line' test, then the Dynamic Compression Ratio
which is equal to the Trapped Compression ratio + Volumetric Efficiency
has been increased / improved at that RPM.

With the above in mind;
The Dynamic Compression Ratio will then be increased 'Only' at those
RPM points where the Torque has been Increased.

The above statement then makes a point that the DCR can be 'Higher'
than the Static / Geometric compression ratio when Volumetric Efficiency
is added into the equation.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Random,
You do a great job helping to quantify modifications and I believe you should be
promoted to 'Head Beta Tester' for this site--:cool:

Cheers,
The Duck

#29 · (Edited)
Cliff notes: 2% total fuel with 11.5 AFR.
+23 / 16 from this morning with the worst dyno conditions (90 degrees and very humid) - so I'll say that's the minimum gains to expect!

I could not add any timing. Just fuel. Pics and graphs etc all coming.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.