Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, I'm relatively new here, but I have been using the search function religiously. The only problem is that most of the topics on Catch Cans are pretty old, like 5 years old. This gets a little long, so thanks in advance for reading.

I have a 2011 Coupe, 37,000 miles that I recently picked up. It has the Cunningham Motorsports stage 1 mods (D3 HX, pump and tank, 2.4 pulley, 1000cc injectors, isolator, idler, Throttle body, Airraid Intake, and what looks like a billyboat catback) and tune.

My last car was a Subaru, and our catch can market seemed to be more advanced. Many people have noticed the milkshake sludge in their can. We all know that is condensation build-up. Many of the can in the Subaru market tie into the cooling system too, in order to keep the can warm and eliminate the sludge. They also drain back into the oilpan, which I'm not sure is a good idea for our cars, but it is easier to manage than draining.

I have been looking into the cans that seem like a good design (MM, RX, Billet Tech) but its hard to find good information on these so far, other than a few of the really good threads that spell out the PCV system.

I normally wouldn't ask these questions, because I usually tell people to search, but here it goes anyway.

If you could do it again, from your experience, which can(s) would you use?

Would you reinforce your brick, or go straight to the ZL1 lid/brick swap and reinforcement? (Why did they go up in price by 500 bucks as time went on??) I took a look at my brick yesterday and it isn't caved in yet, but it does have a not so nice brown color now)

Also, i didn't know there was already a flyingv here, so sorry about that!

·
Super Moderator
20,538 Posts
Let me know if you want to change your username, and to what.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
I like the saikou michi dual cans for simplicity and function (I run them in series).

I haven't liked Rx since they started pushing check valves and open-air crank case breathers 5 years ago, and the owner always came off as a dick and customer service sucked.

MM is legit but I prefer the SM can as stated.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
I like the saikou michi dual cans for simplicity and function (I run them in series).

I haven't liked Rx since they started pushing check valves and open-air crank case breathers 5 years ago, and the owner always came off as a dick and customer service sucked.

Are there any downfalls to CC breather fittings besides the occasional smell at idle?

·
Premium Member
14,372 Posts
Are there any downfalls to CC breather fittings besides the occasional smell at idle?
Depending on the setup it can be a vacuum leak or unmetered air past the MAF, throwing off fuel trims.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I found a dual was not needed. The clean side never had oil in it for me. I find my Moroso can gets most the oil on the dirty side.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
In the end I mounted it on the plastic cover. I had a tank and had to move it, but after I took the tank out I left it where it is because it's easier to empty.
Where did you end up mounting your moroso?
Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
1,733 Posts
I found a dual was not needed. The clean side never had oil in it for me. I find my Moroso can gets most the oil on the dirty side.
same here, I have a dual SM and I disconnected the clean side.

·
Registered
319 Posts
In the end I mounted it on the plastic cover. I had a tank and had to move it, but after I took the tank out I left it where it is because it's easier to empty.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I might picked up a used one off fb.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mighty Mouse is best IMO but you can also run something lie a Radium if you can make your own mounting solution.
I've looked at the MM and I think that one had the breather? I think they are all blending together in my head now.

I also like the SM, but the wait concerns me. I hate waiting for anything, but it might be the route I take anyway.

Does the Moroso have a baffle system? If it does, then I wouldn't mind it. It has a nice mounting system.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I've looked at the MM and I think that one had the breather? I think they are all blending together in my head now.

I also like the SM, but the wait concerns me. I hate waiting for anything, but it might be the route I take anyway.

Does the Moroso have a baffle system? If it does, then I wouldn't mind it. It has a nice mounting system.
No baffle system. Basically a devited in and out with some thick steel wool to catch the oil. It does a good job and very little oil gets through.

What happens if the clean side one day was as dirty as the dirty side?
If the clean side decided to get dirty I would have bigger problems then some oil. The clean side is the valve cove side and shold never get dirtier without some bigger issue.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No baffle system. Basically a devited in and out with some thick steel wool to catch the oil. It does a good job and very little oil gets through.

If the clean side decided to get dirty I would have bigger problems then some oil. The clean side is the valve cove side and shold never get dirtier without some bigger issue.
Like what kind of issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Like what kind of issues?
The clean side provides backfill for air that is sucked out of the crankcase through the dirty side. If oil appears in the clean side, then there is either a restriction in the dirty side, or the crankcase is so highly pressurized, the suction through the dirty side can't keep up with the blow-by. The latter is not a good scenario.

·
Registered
374 Posts
So I bought this. I like it because it came with all fittings,has a dipstick so you can check the level,has various fittings for all configurations super easy to open and clean. In 15k miles it has not let me down. Downside is it's china made and the hose that comes with it sucks. I used std 3/8 oil hose. For 40 bux it's awesome.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've been looking at the Elite Catch Can pretty hard lately. Are people using the one way valve and the oil cap separator?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts