Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About to order a blade refill for my drivers side wipe. Passenger side done last year. How effective are the stock wings at keepingthe wipers down at very high speeds? They work well under 140. Just wondering if I should just put new blades on when necessary. It's not like the old days when you could go into any auto parts store and grab a refill. My last order took 10 days. With the state of the supply chain who knows how long this time.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I had a G8 when these came out and we were all pissed at the bragging about wipers working at high speed when ours started chattering at 70.

Maybe check the classifieds and see if someone has a set for sale? Wink wink

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe check the classifieds and see if someone has a set for sale? Wink wink
"Someone" may want to check their part numbers which seem to be duplicates :rolleyes:

Reactions: wawazat

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had a 2010. They worked very well. The best I have ever on the many cars I have owned.

140 mph? In the rain? No way. Balls of steel. Typical guy brain. Hold my beer and watch this.

Of course, I would probably do it as well. Except I would accept 140 kph in very light rain with tread.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
At 140 MPH on a wet road in the rain, the tires aren't even touching the pavement anymore. They're so far past the point of hydroplaning even a thin sheen of water on the road is effectively hard as ice. So I'd argue that whether or not your wipers are staying on the window is the least of your worries. The bigger concern (regret) you should have is why you didn't decide to lift 70MPH ago while your tires still had some decent grip. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
I change out the blades and keep the frames with the wings. I also Scotch Bright the wings and frames and hit with satin black each year. Live in Las Vegas and the heat turns your black to gray from the sun.

·
Registered
116 Posts
At 140 MPH on a wet road in the rain, the tires aren't even touching the pavement anymore. They're so far past the point of hydroplaning even a thin sheen of water on the road is effectively hard as ice. So I'd argue that whether or not your wipers are staying on the window is the least of your worries. The bigger concern (regret) you should have is why you didn't decide to lift 70MPH ago while your tires still had some decent grip. :)
I was just being nice.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I wasn't explicit enough in the original post. I was thinking about entering a 1/2 mile or mile event. Other cars I've had the wipers started raising up from the docked position at high speeds in dry conditions. I was hoping the wings would keep the V wipers solidly in place and not moving around at very high speed events. The question was not meant for everyday driving.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
i dont recall anyone mentioning their wipers flying up at speed, plastics coming loose yes, but not the wipers
if you are nervous just take the arms off and wrap the end with a small rag and painters tape

·
Registered
123 Posts
I thought the wings on the wipers were to help plant the car in the rain, and help reduce hydroplaning? 🤣
Well yeah, they do that and reduce the drag coefficient of the car overall, this is common knowledge. But seriously as others have mentioned, just remove them during a "high speed" event. I have never seen a single drag race at any level of performance that the driver had his wipers going, pretty sure the best wipers in the world could not keep up at those speeds. If you are track racing in the rain, your tires will lose traction long before the wipers become a concern.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts