Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who live in Socal, What are your thoughts on windshield tint? I know its illegal out here but so is my exhaust. I moved out to Riverside and it is super hot on the daily. My prior job had underground parking so after work was not bad getting in and going. Meaning the heat in the car was nothing to complain about. NOW, I don't have covered parking and when I get in the car it is super hot, to the point where I rather stand outside in the heat and wait until the AC cools it off. (I do remote start it before I clock out)Even then, the AC takes awhile to cool the car off. When I get in and drive, I can feel the heat coming through the windshield hitting my chest, which in turn still make the car hot inside.

I do have and use a Weather Tech sun shade but I feel it only deflects heat minimal. I was looking at the Carbon Ceramic tint for the windshield and possible the sunroof. Reading up on it it blocks a lot of heat from getting in the car and UV protection plus a few other pros. I am going between 50% and 70%. The 70% is like having no visible tint and the 50% has tint to it. Driving around town, I see at least 8 cars with within a two block radius with 50% or less tint. I think to myself, "if all these ppl have windshield tint, maybe I can get the 50% and blend in with the crowd".

The 50% just looks cool while the 70% is stock looking but safe(I.E. not getting pulled over) I feel if your going to put tint might as well get it a little darker for the cool and sleek look.....but I don't know, this is why I wanted to get some of your thoughts about going 50% or 70%. The V currently has 25% all around minus the obvious windshield and sunroof.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Go as dark as you want. I live in San Diego and had 28% on the front windshield and 2 layers on the rest of the car (10% and 5%) for about 4 years. I got pulled over once for it. Another time I got pulled over for speeding and the cop made a comment about the tint and I just told him that I already had a pending ticket and he didn’t say anything else. I ended up removing the windshield tint and one layer off the front windows for two reasons. First, because I go to TJ a lot and the customs made a big stink about it because it wasn’t SENTRI compliant and second because it was a little difficult to see at night. I miss how it looks but I got used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
320 Posts
I’m not in CA but I’ve got 15% on my truck and wife’s 4Runner. None on V yet cause I don’t have the time currently. We have a paper here that makes it legal. 15 is a bit dark on a black truck but the white 4Runner looks good. I’d probably do 20 on the V. All other windows are 5%. Also super bright headlights are needed lol. It cools inside better than anything and during the day it’s not hard to see at all.
good luck.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@alex.a I heard the fix it ticket is pretty pricy. 28% plus your other tint is pretty dark, I'm sure you had to roll down your window at night when making turns haha. I really feel police out here really don't bother if your driving cool and not acting like a idiot. I heard that the Ceramic tint looks very clear from the inside of the vehicle and is in no way a challenge to see out of it at night, from what I read, it actually enhances the night visibility.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m not in CA but I’ve got 15% on my truck and wife’s 4Runner. None on V yet cause I don’t have the time currently. We have a paper here that makes it legal. 15 is a bit dark on a black truck but the white 4Runner looks good. I’d probably do 20 on the V. All other windows are 5%. Also super bright headlights are needed lol. It cools inside better than anything and during the day it’s not hard to see at all.
good luck.
I need that paper!!!! I didn't want to go any darker then 50% for that exact reason, I wanted to be able to see out with no issues and not have to upgrade the headlights, they are pretty bright stock. The 50% gives a nice shadow tint while the 70% is like having nothing there but still provides the same protection as the 50%.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess my real question is how many of you with windshield tint have been pulled over for having "windshield tint", If it is a lot of you then i'll stick with the 70% if its a few, I may go with the 50% and call it done. I do know I can go to my Optometrist and complain how my eyes have been very sensitive to the sun and blah blah. Maybe I can get a new pair of glasses and a note making it legal. I know i'm reaching but it doesn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I need that paper!!!! I didn't want to go any darker then 50% for that exact reason, I wanted to be able to see out with no issues and not have to upgrade the headlights, they are pretty bright stock. The 50% gives a nice shadow tint while the 70% is like having nothing there but still provides the same protection as the 50%.
I have been pulled over multiple times. They always shit when they see the paper though. State troopers and local fuzz, city cops and sheriffs don’t give a damn though. It’s worth it IMO. I do wear glasses that cut down on glare for work. I know back in the day they’d say ticket or peel off the tint on the spot, but like I said I never been to CA.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been pulled over multiple times. They always shit when they see the paper though. State troopers and local fuzz, city cops and sheriffs don’t give a damn though. It’s worth it IMO. I do wear glasses that cut down on glare for work. I know back in the day they’d say ticket or peel off the tint on the spot, but like I said I never been to CA.
I am leaning towards the 50%, I feel if I have not got pulled over for my 25% tint and no front Lic. plate for the past three years, I should be ok. But I am going to see if I can get a note making it legal. The 70% is safe but.......not cool haha

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,611 Posts
I’m in the Pacific Northwest and have 50% on the windshield, I believe.
If you do get pulled over, I would roll down both front windows and turn on the map lights. That would make the windshield look less tinted.

·
Premium Member
2,963 Posts
I got 10% back window and rear passenger windows, 30% driver and pass windows and 80% windshield. All ceramic. Haven't had any problems for 7 years now.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got 10% back window and rear passenger windows, 30% driver and pass windows and 80% windshield. All ceramic. Haven't had any problems for 7 years now.
That is what I am thinking. I have tint on my other car and its been on there for 14 years without any trouble, and now the V for three years and still no trouble. I think I should be good with windshield tint. It was been beyond hot out here.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m in the Pacific Northwest and have 50% on the windshield, I believe.
If you do get pulled over, I would roll down both front windows and turn on the map lights. That would make the windshield look less tinted.

Haha, Funny you mention that. that is what i have been doing for the longest time. when ever I see the Law, I roll the windows down real quick......Even if it is 110 outside

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
They have a clear film that cuts out UV which soaks into the dash heating it up.

Reactions: Prime Time

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have ceramic 70% on my truck and car. Its not very noticeable but keeps tons of heat out. If you lay your hand on the dash or wheel it doesn't burn on hot days. I think most people don't even notice the windshield tint from how light it is, but the cabin feels a lot cooler with it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks @Blades1_99 and @Black_V21 I just made a appointment for next Thursday to get the 50% done. He is charging me $160 to do it. From looking around it seems its between $150-$170. I called one place and he said $400......I just hung up.

Thank you everyone for chiming in and giving your input. I will get some pics up and report back.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Got it on, 55% Ceramic. What I difference! The car is much cooler when I get in, the AC kicks in quicker. I can hover my hand on the dash and feel minimal heat coming through. Looking out from the inside is just like stock. I can see out perfect and its clear. If anything, everything looks a little sharper. Great investment for those who park outside. I may go back and get the pano tinted with the 70%. I will try and get better pics in the sunshine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts