Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
305 is it. If you want wider, it will be an incorrect fit....not saying you can't do it, it's just not enough wheel width to properly fit a larger than 305.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
305 is already marginally too wide. I ran 305s on my Coupe and it definitely "unsettled" the car. Increased transient steering response. Made the car feel a little wobbly. I went back to the stock width pending new rims.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
305 is already marginally too wide. I ran 305s on my Coupe and it definitely "unsettled" the car. Increased transient steering response. Made the car feel a little wobbly. I went back to the stock width pending new rims.
The feel on my 295s feels pretty good. Your input about the 305s is why I didn't go bigger than 295.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
makes sense, thanks

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
They fit, but they're really too wide for the stock wheel. The profile of the sidewall wants to be angled "out", so that it's wider at the rim than at the tread. This geometry minimizes the amount of sidewall flex you get when the tire is side-loaded. With 305s, the sidewall looks great, all bulged out, but from a handling standpoint it is very sub-optimal.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
What about 295/35/19? I know its only half an inch wider but wouldn't that give a little more grip?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Sure. More rubber = more grip. But in this case you're talking 10/285=3.5% so it's not much. It's 1% bigger in diameter than stock, which will have make the speedo read low by that amount. 345s will fit with the right wheel. That's really the way to go...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sure. More rubber = more grip. But in this case you're talking 10/285=3.5% so it's not much. It's 1% bigger in diameter than stock, which will have make the speedo read low by that amount. 345s will fit with the right wheel. That's really the way to go...
345 on a V, never seen it.

·
Super Moderator
16,924 Posts
Putting a wider tire onto a rim that is too narrow actually makes less contact patch and also makes for a sloppy sidewall condition for lateral grip.

You will have more tire contact and lateral grip with a 285 than a 305 on the stock rim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts