Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to do it myself a while back on all my stuff but have been out of it for a while. Its a pain in the ass, but I just cant justify spending 1k+ at a detail shop. With that said, can anyone recommend some decent products to use, not really looking for a ceramic product at this time as the car doesnt see the daily duties or much weather at all.

·
Super Moderator
17,042 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
ONR, microfiber mitts, and a couple of buckets for washes

303 for plastic and vinyl

Lexol for leather cleaning, leatherique for leather preservation/restoration

Sonax for suede/alcantara

3M/Megs for compounds/polishing

Cquartz for ceramics

Costco for microfibers - even professionals use them. Most just use them on paint when new and then use them for other tasks once washed properly.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts
I’m not even gonna waste time explaining. If you want a professional job, go to a professional.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I used to do it myself a while back on all my stuff but have been out of it for a while. Its a pain in the ass, but I just cant justify spending 1k+ at a detail shop. With that said, can anyone recommend some decent products to use, not really looking for a ceramic product at this time as the car doesnt see the daily duties or much weather at all.
Adam's Polishes makes good stuff for home / personal use.

I really like their Deep Wheel cleaner.

I think that there's a 10 or 15% off code for forum members

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
I’m not even gonna waste time explaining. If you want a professional job, go to a professional.
^^^^ everyone devalues others time value but thinks their time is priceless. I have found that auto detailing is a hell of a lot like performance upgrades and shops. You cheap out you get shit results, you use cheap products you may get decent results that don't last, you pick a cheap "professional" you get some hack with a rotary fucking you shit up.

I cheaped out initially with a PC DA and after going to the Rupes I now see why one is $120 and the other is $400. I'm not even close to your level but I've made strides and have some happy people out there.

Blows my mind people want someone to spend 6-12 hours (not counting ceramic coating) on their cars paint correcting and detailing but expect to pay $29.99 like they would at Autobell for their managers drive through special. I mean I'll wash a car with a dirty mit and spray some colored foam on the car for $30, that would be some good money LOL.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
^^^^ everyone devalues others time value but thinks their time is priceless. I have found that auto detailing is a hell of a lot like performance upgrades and shops. You cheap out you get shit results, you use cheap products you may get decent results that don't last, you pick a cheap "professional" you get some hack with a rotary fucking you shit up.

I cheaped out initially with a PC DA and after going to the Rupes I now see why one is $120 and the other is $400. I'm not even close to your level but I've made strides and have some happy people out there.

Blows my mind people want someone to spend 6-12 hours (not counting ceramic coating) on their cars paint correcting and detailing but expect to pay $29.99 like they would at Autobell for their managers drive through special. I mean I'll wash a car with a dirty mit and spray some colored foam on the car for $30, that would be some good money LOL.
What specifically do you not like with the Porter Cable DA polisher?

I just got one for my own use. Im not going to be using it professionally on anyone else's cars and it seems to do the trick for me.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

WCGW?

·
Super Moderator
17,042 Posts

I just got one for my own use. Im not going to be using it professionally on anyone else's cars and it seems to do the trick for me.
The PC works, it just takes longer.

The rupes is the gold standard and I got rid of my PC. The Adams swirl killer is a rupes knockoff and maybe 80% of the rupes. If I was a pro I would get the rupes no question. I picked up the Adams when it was first released for $175 and it’s significantly better than the PC.

The rupes pads and UHS one step works great on the gen 2 V paint.

Plan on 8-16 hours polishing the V with even the swirl killer, more with a PC.

I was never sold on the ceramic until I applied it. Won’t even go without it again.

It was recommended to use Gyeon Mohs from a pro, it’s about the best ceramic you can get that is DIY friendly.

Watch YouTube videos on how to apply.

I have since done my 23 foot wakeboat in IGL marine ceramic and it’s so nice, but takes some skill to apply. High end pro grade product.

With coaching from a pro, most can apply pro grade ceramics, I made a mistake or two but I corrected it and reapplied a couple small high spots on the boat.

The key is the polishing, to me, that is where a pro kicks the DIY guys ass.

Some of the new self healing ceramics are insanely cool, when the ceramic gets a mar or swirl, hit them with heat and they self heal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: subaru335i

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are three thousand dollar paint jobs and there are 20k paint jobs. For me, if you are happy with the 3k job then don't waist your money on a 20k job. With all the online video material available most people can achieve pretty good results on their own if they are willing to put in the time and correct their mistakes.
I started learning with Adam's and Meguiars products but it is expensive to get into and very time consuming, so I guess it really depends on what your time is worth.

·
Registered
532 Posts
~7-8 hours: All chemical guys products.

1. Wash car with snow foamer, 2 bucket method

2. Full clay bar (yellow) w/ synthetic luber

3. CG VSS (swirl remover), with DA polishing pad; foam, or microfiber

4. Black Light Hybrid Glaze

5. JetSeal Sealant

6. Pete's 53 Carnauba Wax

7. Hybrid V07 detailer doorjambs

Inside the car, pick you poison I never detail the insides just vacuum, clean windows with windex, and wipe interior components with a damp microfiber cloth.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: SilverELEX

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts

Porter Cable works but its not as powerful or as smooth as the Rupes. You literally cut your working time nearly in half with the Rupes vs the PC. I got mine for a steal as I bought 2 and sold one and it cost me a net of around $220. Now I couldn't go back after working with it a few times.

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts
this is like mechanics looking down on someone for having Husky or Craftsmen tools, you want a guy who may "correct" 2 or 3 cars in his lifetime to buy a $400 polisher- that just came out a few years ago mind you

before that everyone used PC polishers and thought nothing of it

I bought a Flex Kompact 3" polisher mainly because there just arent a lot of 3" polishers and I use it at my shop. I swear this thing is just a harbor freight polisher with a different tag on it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
The PC works, it just takes longer.

The rupes is the gold standard and I got rid of my PC. The Adams swirl killer is a rupes knockoff and maybe 80% of the rupes. If I was a pro I would get the rupes no question. I picked up the Adams when it was first released for $175 and it’s significantly better than the PC.

The rupes pads and UHS one step works great on the gen 2 V paint.

Plan on 8-16 hours polishing the V with even the swirl killer, more with a PC.

I was never sold on the ceramic until I applied it. Won’t even go without it again.

It was recommended to use Gyeon Mohs from a pro, it’s about the best ceramic you can get that is DIY friendly.

Watch YouTube videos on how to apply.

I have since done my 23 foot wakeboat in IGL marine ceramic and it’s so nice, but takes some skill to apply. High end pro grade product.

With coaching from a pro, most can apply pro grade ceramics, I made a mistake or two but I corrected it and reapplied a couple small high spots on the boat.

The key is the polishing, to me, that is where a pro kicks the DIY guys ass.

Some of the new self healing ceramics are insanely cool, when the ceramic gets a mar or swirl, hit them with heat and they self heal.

That makes sense and I guess Im fine with it taking a bit longer. I will only be doing personal cars on weekends so taking extra time isn't a huge deal. I would just be watching TV or fucking around on the internet anyway.

Mostly I just like doing things myself to get the satisfaction out of it and it is a pain to try to find someone local that I trust to do things right. I still change my own oil even though it doesn't save any money or time.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This question is up there with "what oil/filter to use" :eek:

Polisher: Rupes, Maxshine(prob same as Adam's polisher), Porter Cable, Griots
Compound/Polish: Meguiars, Griots, etc.
Wax/Sealant: Collinite, Jescar, Meguiar's, etc.

e.g. depending on your paint condition, Meguiar's/Griots fast correcting compound could be all you need followed by wax/sealant.

Pick a polisher, some products and have fun. See youtube for guidance.

Detailersdomain and Adams have mystery box - you pay and get a variety of products. Good way to try new products/old stock :)

·
Premium Member
7,110 Posts
this is like mechanics looking down on someone for having Husky or Craftsmen tools, you want a guy who may "correct" 2 or 3 cars in his lifetime to buy a $400 polisher- that just came out a few years ago mind you

before that everyone used PC polishers and thought nothing of it

I bought a Flex Kompact 3" polisher mainly because there just arent a lot of 3" polishers and I use it at my shop. I swear this thing is just a harbor freight polisher with a different tag on it.
It all depends on how you value your time. To me if a Rupes can do a better job in half the time its worth double the price as a one time investment.

·
Premium Member
12,812 Posts
going to call bullshit on HALF the time, the time using the actual machine is minimal compared to the hand wiping and moving onto the next panel, observing the surface, taking sick instagram pics checking how many likes you got etc

HALF- bullshit
the tool doesnt make the job the operator of the tool is what determines how well it will come out

·
Super Moderator
17,042 Posts
going to call bullshit on HALF the time, the time using the actual machine is minimal compared to the hand wiping and moving onto the next panel, observing the surface, taking sick instagram pics checking how many likes you got etc

HALF- bullshit
the tool doesnt make the job the operator of the tool is what determines how well it will come out
I dunno, even the knockoff rupes was so much faster than the PC. It’s not just the watts, it the 15” throw.

In fact, I ran the Adams on speed 4 and it corrected faster than WOT.

The rupes UHS is a time saver as well, 1 step better than 2.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts