Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
It's got 7" pistons!
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for new brake pads. I like the bite of the stock pads, don’t care for the lack of bite with the Hawk yellow (but do like the low dust)

So, the question is what pads give bite like OEM, but give less dust? If any?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I switched to the R1 Concepts OEP pads and are happy with them.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,364 Posts
EBC Red!

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
IME nice bite and low dust are basically mutually exclusive. Even super expensive carbon ceramic rotors that dont dust really don't work well until they are up to temp so they dont have that same nice initial bite as the stock brembo pads on iron rotors.

Most brake dust is actually made up of melted bits of the rotor itself not the pad material so it makes sense that the pads with more agressive bite is wearing more of the rotor away (more friction = more heat) which causes more dust.

You can find a balance that has lower dust and almost the same feeling but as far as I know its a tradeoff.

There are cool new brakes on Porsche's that are steel rotors but coated with tungsten carbide and I have heard those have low dust and still really good feel but they are also exclusive to Porsche and very expensive lol. But maybe the tech will trickle down eventually.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
In my experience, you lose 10-15% braking on this car by going to EBC. Brembos, with their shitty dust, are just that much more impressive. I'm not racing so I'm ok with it for now, but I'm going back to Brembos after I ruin these EBCs.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,364 Posts
In my experience, you lose 10-15% braking on this car by going to EBC. Brembos, with their shitty dust, are just that much more impressive. I'm not racing so I'm ok with it for now, but I'm going back to Brembos after I ruin these EBCs.
Which version of EBC pads are you unhappy with?

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
Which version of EBC pads are you unhappy with?
Not unhappy with them, rather it's just a performance trade that you make for less dusting. No brake pad is going to stop you as well as the stock Brembos. NONE. I believe the ones I have are yellow.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,364 Posts
I like the EBC Red (installed with all new rotors); they seem equal to the old Brembos on the old rotors... but I don’t have a direct apple to apples comparison.
does anyone know of any actual documented testing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my 2017 V with 4K miles on the clock. The brake dust was totally unacceptable. I bought and installed a set of ceramic pads from brakeworld.com and have never looked back. Although I don't race the car, the ceramics do a great job at stopping the car (even when cold), and the brake dust has been reduced by 90%. It has been a no-brainer for me.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
2,364 Posts
Ages ago I was in the auto parts business specializing in parts for imports. i carried many products from "ITM REPCO", an Aussie firm that is well known down under with a long racing history (Look up the Brabham racing and the Repco v8) Repco sold brake pads in a good/better/best product line and their BEST line was Repco Metal Master pads. I LOVED the damned things as they made very little dust and performed very well. I haven't looked to see if they still have a presence in the States. Once the US part of the company became part of ITM, the Repco name was on the way out. I don't know where they stand now as far as stateside availability but if I find them, I'll sure give 'em a shot on the V. A quick online look reveals that they no longer market the Metal Master brand, tho they do still make Repco pads

1 - 17 of 17 Posts