Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody, so I just had my motor rebuilt and I'm getting ready to put the car back together. I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer to my question. Can anyone tell me for sure if I need to upgrade my fuel pump before tuning?

Below is what's been done, I'm assuming I'll be around 750 to 800 rwhp more or less give or take:

Forged pistons
Forged rods
Stock crank
BTR stage 2 cam
Speed engineering headers
2.55" top pulley
9.55" lower with balancer w/ green belt
ID 1050x injectors
K&N cold air intake
ARP Head studs
E85 flex fuel
Melling 10355HV High Volume oil pump
NGK TR7IX
160 Degree Thermostat
(Still trying to decide on a heat exchanger)

So with these mods, and what I have done do I need to upgrade the fuel pump?
Or can I get by with the stock pump?

·
Registered
443 Posts
You will need ALOT MORE pump! The stock fuel system barely supports enough for the stock boost levels as it is. Now you are gonna run E85, which requires 3x more volume of fuel.....the stock pump isnt going to cut it anywhere near close.

·
Registered
78 Posts
may need bigger injectors for that power level also on ethanol unless u run them at a higher pressure and fuel reg referenced to manifold

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm thinking mid 600s.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Hey everybody, so I just had my motor rebuilt and I'm getting ready to put the car back together. I'm having a hard time finding a definite answer to my question. Can anyone tell me for sure if I need to upgrade my fuel pump before tuning?

Below is what's been done, I'm assuming I'll be around 750 to 800 rwhp more or less give or take:

Forged pistons
Forged rods
Stock crank
BTR stage 2 cam
Speed engineering headers
2.55" top pulley
9.55" lower with balancer w/ green belt
ID 1050x injectors
K&N cold air intake
ARP Head studs
E85 flex fuel
Melling 10355HV High Volume oil pump
NGK TR7IX
160 Degree Thermostat
(Still trying to decide on a heat exchanger)

So with these mods, and what I have done do I need to upgrade the fuel pump?
Or can I get by with the stock pump?
I'm guessing this is in the wrong section? Should be CTS-V ??
So IMO, I would say at a min you need to upgrade the in-tank pumps, and when you do that get the new fuel hat from @adam112 it's a very nice piece, and if you plan to go more power, say 700+ you would want his hat that has the separate/extra fitting and sock so you can use the Aux fuel system without tapping your tank. I'd say without head work (porting) on your build you will be high 680-700ish, and the 1050s are great, and you can get good power as long as it's warm out. Once it get cold you duty cycle on E85 will go up and you will be short fuel/injector.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
You will need ALOT MORE pump! The stock fuel system barely supports enough for the stock boost levels as it is. Now you are gonna run E85, which requires 3x more volume of fuel.....the stock pump isnt going to cut it anywhere near close.
Quick correction, E85 only needs like 30-35% more flow for the same power. If it was 3x that would be insane.
Maybe you are thinking methanol? lol

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I appreciate the responses!
I'm guessing this is in the wrong section? Should be CTS-V ??
So IMO, I would say at a min you need to upgrade the in-tank pumps, and when you do that get the new fuel hat from @adam112 it's a very nice piece, and if you plan to go more power, say 700+ you would want his hat that has the separate/extra fitting and sock so you can use the Aux fuel system without tapping your tank. I'd say without head work (porting) on your build you will be high 680-700ish, and the 1050s are great, and you can get good power as long as it's warm out. Once it get cold you duty cycle on E85 will go up and you will be short fuel/injector.
Good Luck.
Oh dam, sorry about that! And thank you for your response, I think I'm following. I'll have to research that. Haven't had anybody suggest that to me.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I appreciate the responses. I've seen people get 700rwhp with less.
Also I've had this suggested to me by somebody > DSX - Auxiliary Pump Fuel System 09-15 CTS-V... It's another $1000 that I really didn't want to spend...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Its possible to do 700 on pump gas with the right parts but you run out earlier on E
Maybe I'll hold off on installing the E85 senor. Just got one so I could always return it. Just feel like with the E85 I'd prob gain a good amount of power.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Where do you live? Is your V a daily driver? You will need more fuel if you drive in cold weather. At a little over 600 my tuner told me I was fine, but to not go full throttle in cold weather and that was before E85. When I went E85 I added the aux fuel pump you mentioned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where do you live? Is your V a daily driver? You will need more fuel if you drive in cold weather. At a little over 600 my tuner told me I was fine, but to not go full throttle in cold weather and that was before E85. When I went E85 I added the aux fuel pump you mentioned.
Thanks for your response, I split my time between NY and FL. I have duel residency. Probably in NY I'd say a little more, down in Long Island.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I appreciate the responses. I've seen people get 700rwhp with less.
Also I've had this suggested to me by somebody > DSX - Auxiliary Pump Fuel System 09-15 CTS-V... It's another $1000 that I really didn't want to spend...
The DSX aux pump works well, and the reason I suggested going with @adam112 (ALM Performance and Design on FB) hat is, the Aux system has you drill and tap your fuel tank, and yes it has worked well for many people. My own personal preference would be to have the Fuel hat that has the capability to expand to the Aux system later, and since the smart money to start with for your build, is to swap pumps to AEM or DW to give you more of a safety margin in regards to avail psi/flow, you would want the hat that has the port for the Aux system down the road.. (you know that the MO POWA bug will hit again)!!! It has for Everyone!! lol

Reactions: subaru335i
1 - 20 of 28 Posts