Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I recently installed a new cam and switched my comp trunions out for the manton kit and thought it would be a good idea to recheck for pushrod length. Last time I went thru this process I used the comp 7702 checker and ordered rods from manton based on the numbers I got from the check tool. This time I'm still using the check tool but using a set of calipers to measure end to end as I believe I read the way comp and manton measure length are different. Starting to think maybe my initial measurements were a little light on the preload, as some of the measurements in getting a quite a bit different from before. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Premium Member
15,271 Posts
I use my hands. So I can show the girls at work that "my Pushrod is this (holding my hands in a baseball grip side by side) big."

That usually gets the job done, if you know what I'm sayin'

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its been a while since I've been here, but it appears the tech section is going down hill.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Not downhill, just always comes with a side of sarcasm. Keeps things interesting.

I'm sure someone will come along with an answer for you.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Manton does use overall end to end measurements. Determine Length – Manton Pushrods

Comp and trend use lengths between the gauge points further down the ball. Comp's pushrod checker where you measure turns is in the gauge point measurement. It's something like .012" difference between overall and gauge point to gauge point.

Reactions: SilverELEX

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Man. I would have expected more dick jokes in a thread with a title like this. Quite the let down. Not up to the usual standards. Disappointed.

Been a while since I've been here, but it looks like the tech section is going down hill.

:)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Rocket Sled

I saw this post and said - no way, just to easy so I left it alone.

OP, ask McMurry how to measure a pushrod.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Best way I found was to use comp checker but use tape to hold it so it doesn’t move. Then use a flat surface and lay caliper and checker down to measure. Then double or triple check measurements. Just went through this stroking a LS3 with Johnson short travel lifters.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
I have a comp cams pushrod checker (an adjustable pushrod). I put it in place like I would a normal pushrod, slightly shorter than I would need it to be.

• Ensure that cylinder is at TDC and at base cam circle.
  • Once I have the rocker in and torqued to 22ft lbs, I begin to unscrew the push rod by hand to make it taller until I achieve zero lash.
  • Carefully remove rocker arm to make sure I don't disturb the pushrod turns.
  • count how many turns it took for the pushrod to get there. Each full turn is .050.
  • add the desired pre-load to the push rod length you come up with.
Example:

push rod closed: 6.800"
10 full turns: .500"
6.800"+.500"= 7.300"
7.300"+.050" preload = 7.350" final pushrod length.

Reactions: random84
1 - 9 of 9 Posts