Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
3641 - 3658 of 3658 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto Sunroof
414 Posts
What is the best leather conditioner?
Listen, I’m sure there are some great leather conditioners out there including chemical guys that people speak of quite often, but I have to say, I have a 2008 Ram truck with leather seats that I’ve used Meguiars on since I bought it, and my seats are in really good shape! I won’t deny there’s one spot where I slide out(where the leather usually starts wearing) that’s starting to wear down. All in all, Meguiars has been very solid, and I’m convinced that if you use leather conditioner regularly, that any quality conditioner will work well. I’ve just been sold on Meguiars. Wish I was near my truck so I could snap a pic.

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Auto Sunroof
414 Posts
Thank you! As a fellow OCD sufferer, and speaking for others of our ilk, thank you. These are the things that drive us crazy.

It's not as offensive as, say, homemade racing stripes that somehow don't align with the car or decals on windows that are alMOST centered, but it's nonetheless unacceptable.
No shit! 🤣😂 OCD sucks sometimes bc it can drive ya nutz! However, at least we keep a mean and clean CTS V!

Reactions: JonQwest

·
Registered
48 Posts
Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper

Checked the gap on the old plugs and never realized TR7s come close to .035-.038. Probably explains my rougher idle. Gapped down to around .028 and idles MUCH smoother.

Reactions: jcs003

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,344 Posts
The Surly Coupe got new clear coat on the hood to repair someone’s previous screw up.
At some point in its history, someone repainted (or possibly just cleared) this hood along with the tops of the fenders. When I bought it, the hood was fogged, clearly needed to be compounded. I have now compounded it three times(!) It looks great for a couple of weeks then starts fogging.
Ive come to the conclusion that whoever cleared this, used the cheap-assed clear that the auto paint stores sell alongside the good stuff. The cheap crap costs a third as much but has NO UV protection component.
There are rock chips on the hood and this isn’t a fix for them but just a move to get the gloss back. I did touch up the chips a bit before spraying.
This is fresh-sprayed; tomorrow i’ll be buffing it.

Wet-Sanded with 1500

Sprayed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,344 Posts
Because it’s Black Diamond, just fixing the chips or small dings really isn’t possible because it’s just about impossible to spot-match the color and flake.
The car has a couple of tiny spots (including one a deer made on the ROOF!)that will be addressed once I get to the point of respraying the whole car..... someday.
Just in case you were curious, The quote for a QUART of BDT base coat/tint coat/ clear and associated reducers/hardeners was $675. A gallon was 1700.

No WONDER it looks so sexy!

• Wow
Reactions: SilverSurfer

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,344 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Because it’s Black Diamond, just fixing the chips or small dings really isn’t possible because it’s just about impossible to spot-match the color and flake.
The car has a couple of tiny spots (including one a deer made on the ROOF!)that will be addressed once I get to the point of respraying the whole car..... someday.
Just in case you were curious, The quote for a QUART of BDT base coat/tint coat/ clear and associated reducers/hardeners was $675. A gallon was 1700.

No WONDER it looks so sexy!

Wrap that section black until you can find a shit ton of cash and a competent painter to match it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Since this bitch is completely dead and I am waiting for a new fuse box to arrive, I put Black Betty up on some dollies to move it around.

View attachment 155177
How in the world did you get two bad fuse boxes??? Not possible. You have an inherent electrical issue that might be fuse box associated. I will always suppose a grounding short I. A situation like this. But keep in mind I'm a mechanical engineer and have no clue what I am talking about.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,344 Posts
I completely FORGOT how much freaking WORK this crap is.
No paint booth, therefore, lots of dust and crap in my clear coat. I didn’t count but many many many.
So, before doing the cut&buff I started with 1200, 1500, then 2000 grit trying to sand a jillion specs out of the clear.
I also screwed up by putting the last coat on far too wet, causing a couple of sags and edge buildup.
I have spent this entire day hand sanding the damned thing chasing specks and dips.
Far too much trouble!
anyway, I finally got it to “good enough” and compounded it. Tomorrow I will do the final polish with the grey pad but right now it looks soooooo much better than before. It’s not perfect but It looks like I no longer will be embarrassed by a cloudy hood!

This after the sanded clear was then compounded. The various glitches that I didn’t sand out are below the clear and you really can’t do much with them short of a strip and repaint. I did fill the deep ones with touch up paint and then sand them so they should be less noticeable.

Edge Buildup (and specks)

specks EVERYWHERE! Will need a huge amount of sanding.

Making a sanding block

Helluva lot cheaper than Dura Block and more pliable.

3641 - 3658 of 3658 Posts