Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my V almost a year ago. It has slick pilot sport somethings on there. I bought two new ones thinking they must be good for the car. I kept them on for a week and ended up buying two r888's for the rear. The pilot sports didnt hold traction very well. The new r888's were a lot better. Unfortunately they only lasted about five months and I don't daily drive my car. They're really slick and I'm scared to drive my car now till I get them replaced. Ive ordered two new Nitto 555rII's. They had great reviews and I used to run the older nitto 555r's on my supra before I went to the Mickey Thompson ET streets. I don't really want to go this route on my V because I love driving it and don't want to fear getting caught out in the rain with the ET streets. They do not perform well in the rain. The new Nitto's however, are designed to perform well in the rain and still give you great traction. I"m just curious what you 600 and above guys run on your car that performs well on 40 or 60 mph launches. Thanks, Jay

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
PS4s all the way...but I do have widened rears with 19" 325s in back

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Continental extreme contacts here. Pretty good all around imo
Same here. Great traction when warm and good mileage. I got close to 20k on my last set.

Reactions: Ctarb1

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
Let us know how you like those 555RII's. Currently run NT05R's in the back, they still spin a bit from a dig on the street but hold down quickly. I'm somewhere between 600-620rwhp. I previously ran the Bridgestone RE-11's in the back and they couldn't hold down at anything below 60mph.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Continental Extreme Contacts in summer and Blizzaks in winter. The Continentals will spin on the street at 700 rwhp. They handle 620 rwhp pretty good, but can easily do a burnout.

·
Registered
2012 Wagon A6
65 Posts
I bought my V almost a year ago. It has slick pilot sport somethings on there. I bought two new ones thinking they must be good for the car. I kept them on for a week and ended up buying two r888's for the rear. The pilot sports didnt hold traction very well. The new r888's were a lot better. Unfortunately they only lasted about five months and I don't daily drive my car. They're really slick and I'm scared to drive my car now till I get them replaced. Ive ordered two new Nitto 555rII's. They had great reviews and I used to run the older nitto 555r's on my supra before I went to the Mickey Thompson ET streets. I don't really want to go this route on my V because I love driving it and don't want to fear getting caught out in the rain with the ET streets. They do not perform well in the rain. The new Nitto's however, are designed to perform well in the rain and still give you great traction. I"m just curious what you 600 and above guys run on your car that performs well on 40 or 60 mph launches. Thanks, Jay
I had R888R 315/30/20 on my last car (GT500) that had 700 wheel and 3.73 gears and it performed amazing and lasted a year and 13,000 miles.
Was thinking about them for my Wagon but if they wore out that quick on your coupe, I’m gonna pass on them. I’ve been leaning towards the 555r2 as well.

Reactions: suprahero

·
Premium Member
2011 V Coupe
4 Posts
I recently got the R888s for the first time and found them to be loud, really loud! Sounds kinda like a mud tire on a truck! Did you guys experience the same? Just curious to see if it's common or maybe they weren't mounted correctly as I have nothing to compare them to aside from factory tires.

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
2,714 Posts
I only have 510 rwhp, and I could get the PS4 to spin on demand on a warm summer day. I’m not sure how your bigger boys and girls get them to work, other than really feathering the go fast peddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ctarb, Those continentals are almost half what the Nitto's are. I'm glad they work for you. I'm running 603rwhp right now, but will probably be at least 650-675 in a month. I wonder how they'd do at that power level.

Blades, I was hitting traction control about 65-70 mph when I first got the car and they had the PS4's on there. I thought the tune was bad and it was hitting boost cut or something till I happened to see the TC light up one time.

Jim, what horsepower are you making? dbguru, stated at 700, they spin on the street. I'm going to be close to that. Hopefully the Nitto's are going to work great for me.

Papi, I ran the original 555r's on my supra and they worked very well on the street at 640ish rwhp. I did have to adjust the boost controller a little so it didn't hit real hard all at once. My 6466 is really responsive and comes on like a light switch.

zjohnsie, I really liked the performance of the r88's, but I hated the wear. I got almost 8000 miles on them. A little more than I first thought. I had to check my paper work to see what was on the odometer when I bought them.

jcs.....what you said.

swimpleton, I too found them loud. Not obnoxiously loud, but louder than you would want them to be.

Simply Dreamin, that's what I was experiencing with them. When I first got my car, it was making 525 and it would still spin the ps4's on a third gear pull.

I will let everyone know how the Nitto's perform once I get them mounted. Tuesday can't get here soon enough. I haven't drove my car in over a week and a half due to the low thread pattern left on the 888's. They basically look like slicks atm. Thanks for everyone's opinion and two cents worth. If you're going to want a set of the 555rII's, either start saving up or pray for a government bail out....lol

·
Registered
2012 Wagon A6
65 Posts
I recently got the R888s for the first time and found them to be loud, really loud! Sounds kinda like a mud tire on a truck! Did you guys experience the same? Just curious to see if it's common or maybe they weren't mounted correctly as I have nothing to compare them to aside from factory tires.
My exhuast was louder than the tires. Plus I had poly bushings everywhere so I had more noise than normal. Handled like it was on rails though! haha

Reactions: swimpleton

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I"m just curious what you 600 and above guys run on your car that performs well on 40 or 60 mph launches. Thanks, Jay
Blades, I was hitting traction control about 65-70 mph when I first got the car and they had the PS4's on there. I thought the tune was bad and it was hitting boost cut or something till I happened to see the TC light up one time.

Jim, what horsepower are you making? dbguru, stated at 700, they spin on the street. I'm going to be close to that. Hopefully the Nitto's are going to work great for me.
I think we need more information on how you drive. Manual or auto? If auto, do you manually downshift before you launch? Do you launch with regular traction control on? During spirited driving I turn traction control to performance mode. How do you define spin? Are you expecting to dead hook on the street? A slight spin on a mid speed launch is easily controllable and less intrusive than a TC intrusion. At the track with drag radials I got minimal spin depending on track prep for a 1.60 60' when I was at 618 rwhp. Haven't been to a decently prepped track since E85 (700hp) as my local track was shut this year. My V is a daily driver and I won't drive around on drag radials.

Reactions: SimplyDreamin

·
Premium Member
1,343 Posts
Suprahero,

I'm at 775whp.

I leave traction control on and don't hammer the throttle at lower speeds.

Reactions: Ctarb1

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think we need more information on how you drive. Manual or auto? If auto, do you manually downshift before you launch? Do you launch with regular traction control on? During spirited driving I turn traction control to performance mode. How do you define spin? Are you expecting to dead hook on the street? A slight spin on a mid speed launch is easily controllable and less intrusive than a TC intrusion. At the track with drag radials I got minimal spin depending on track prep for a 1.60 60' when I was at 618 rwhp. Haven't been to a decently prepped track since E85 (700hp) as my local track was shut this year. My V is a daily driver and I won't drive around on drag radials.
First of all, if they're are any cops reading this. I always drive the speed limit and rarely even pass anyone. When I first got my car, it would hit spin and the traction control would literally stop the acceleration and then have to start again. I do have an auto that I drive in manu mode when it looks like I may have a victim. I have never launched my car from a dead stop. I have turned my TC completely off before but haven't ever put it in performance mode. Can you tell me how to do this? If not, I have no problem reading about it. I didn't even know I had that option. I thought it was either on or off.

Jim, I've never hammered throttle at low speeds either. I've raced three times, and all three was at fifty to sixty in third. I have taken my father n law for a ride and punched it in second at about thirty mph. Slight wheel spin in second, and maybe spun one revolution in third when I shifted. I hope to be at 650-700 by the middle of next month.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Copied from 2011 owners manual:

Competitive Driving Mode
To select this optional
handling mode, press the
TCS/StabiliTrak button quickly
two times and STABILITRAK
COMPETITIVE MODE displays in
the Driver Information Center (DIC).
While in the StabiliTrak Competitive
Mode, the TCS/StabiliTrak warning
light comes on, TCS does not limit
wheel spin, and more effort is
required to turn the steering wheel.
Adjust your driving accordingly.
Press the TCS/StabiliTrak button
again, or turn the ignition to
ACC/ACCESSORY and restart the
vehicle, to turn TCS back on and
turn the TCS/StabiliTrak warning
light off.
Notice: When traction control is
turned off, or Competitive Driving
Mode is active, it is possible
to lose traction. If you attempt
to shift with the drive wheels
spinning with a loss of traction, it
is possible to cause damage to
the transmission. Do not attempt
to shift when the drive wheels do
not have traction. Damage caused
by misuse of the vehicle is not
covered. See the warranty book
for additional information.

Reactions: swimpleton

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks, I will try it after while. I hope to get my new tires installed later this afternooon.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts