Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Are there any dash logo alternatives that do not require anything being plugged into the USB port?

I’ve been using my dash logic for 3 years and it has worked flawlessly. I primarily use it to monitor my IAT temps and my ethanol content.

Very recently I upgraded my infotainment system to a wireless CarPlay or Android Pioneer Nex unit with a 10.1 screen that completely eliminated the factory stereo and the clock. The stereo resolution is fantastic and the audio clarity and quality from the speakers are significantly improved with this upgrade.

All of this is great, except that my dash logic now has a hard time connecting and displaying. When it does connect it eventually causes the audio signal on my stereo to stop playing through the speakers while still displaying the audio track or whatever I’m playing on the screen.

The stereo has been uninstalled and reinstalled 3 x by the audio radio shop and they concluded that the Dash logic might be the culprit. So I tested this theory for the last few days and the stereo audio did not fail. As soon as I plugged that dash logic in it would cause the audio to fail within 5-10 minutes.

So I now have a dilemma because I need to monitor my temps and ethanol, but I do not want to go back to the factory stereo again.

Any dash logic alternatives recommendations are welcome and the clock location is no longer an option for me.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
That's a big screen!

You could always add a gauge near the A-pillar using the 3d printed pod that mounts into the defroster vent.

If the setup you have were Windows based, you could connect HP Tuners to it for monitoring but that typically uses the entire screen. Someone needs to come up with an app for HP Tuners vcm scanner that could run like a picture-in-picture to display only the few things you really want to keep an eye on while maintaining the rest of the screen for other functions. Probably already exists but I know nothing about it....

Reactions: Hotsoss

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Are there any dash logo alternatives that do not require anything being plugged into the USB port?

I’ve been using my dash logic for 3 years and it has worked flawlessly. I primarily use it to monitor my IAT temps and my ethanol content.

Very recently I upgraded my infotainment system to a wireless CarPlay or Android Pioneer Nex unit with a 10.1 screen that completely eliminated the factory stereo and the clock. The stereo looks resolution is fantastic and the audio clarity and quality from the speakers are significantly improved with this upgrade.

All of this is great, except that my dash logic now has a hard time connecting and displaying. When it does connect it eventually causes the audio signal on my stereo to stop playing through the speakers while still displaying the audio track or whatever I’m playing on the screen.

The stereo has been uninstalled and reinstalled 3 x by the audio radio shop and they concluded that the Dash logic might be the culprit. So I tested this theory for the last few days and the stereo audio did not fail. As soon as I plugged that dash logic in it would cause the audio to fail within 5-10 minutes.

So I now have a dilemma because I need to monitor my temps and ethanol, but I do not want to go back to the factory stereo again.

Any dash logic alternatives recommendations are welcome and the clock location is no longer an option for me.

Thanks!

View attachment 152725

View attachment 152727

View attachment 152728
Is this a double or single DIN set up from Pioneer?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's a big screen!

You could always add a gauge near the A-pillar using the 3d printed pod that mounts into the defroster vent.

If the setup you have were Windows based, you could connect HP Tuners to it for monitoring but that typically uses the entire screen. Someone needs to come up with an app for HP Tuners vcm scanner that could run like a picture-in-picture to display only the few things you really want to keep an eye on while maintaining the rest of the screen for other functions. Probably already exists but I know nothing about it....
Yeah, it is a big screen but the pictures make it appear a little bigger than what it actually is. In person it looks just right with a modern OEM look. I was thinking about the A-pillar as a possible location.

I agree with you regarding the stereo displaying certain car functions and I think there is a plug-in device that is compatible with this stereo, but it will probably dominate the entire screen.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
You could also mount an aeroforce in the coin cubby

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could also mount an aeroforce in the coin cubby
I forgot to mention that they installed a USB port connection in that location that can be used to charge the phone or connect directly (thus eliminating the optional wireless feature) to CarPlay like it’s done in most vehicles.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
I forgot to mention that they installed a USB port connection in that location that can be used to charge the phone or connect directly (thus eliminating the optional wireless feature) to CarPlay like it’s done in most vehicles.
not quite following, but the power port would be unaffected
it was a while ago, but you basically need enough to slide the gauge almost halfway down.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I meant to say OBD2 port. Is there device out there that can display this information without connecting to the OBD2?

Gear shift Vehicle Car Steering wheel Motor vehicle

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but there are times I'd like my phone be independent of the entertainment system. Seems all them want the phone to be the center piece of the system.

Many times, I wanted the radio to play car apps to play, then talk on the phone using a blue tooth device in my ear.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you can find a Ngauge anywhere, those connect to obd2 port.
I looked at some leftover Ngauges out there, but I'm not sure if I will run into the same issues as

I believe my issue has something to do with the dash Logic and Pioneer radio both accessing the canbus simultaneously causing the audio to glitch from time to time.

I'm not sure if the Nguage would work as that would need to connect to the obd2 port as well. Are there any devices that can display the same information without connecting through the obd2 port?

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
the n gauge is even bigger and discontinued
you say OBD2 but the picture you provided is a USB port?
the usb port can be moved over to the 12v receptacle or you can get the cubby mount set up someone here sells

you can also get pass through OBD2 and splitters

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the n gauge is even bigger and discontinued
you say OBD2 but the picture you provided is a USB port?
the usb port can be moved over to the 12v receptacle or you can get the cubby mount set up someone here sells

you can also get pass through OBD2 and splitters
Yeah, I was just showing you that area is currently occupied with the Pioneer USB port now, but I understand what you are saying now.

How do I get pass the OBD2? What are splitters?

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
the radio would be better if they made it with a OBD2 passthrough , like the aem wideband has.
you cant add a pass through

amazon or wherever for the obd2 splitter

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay, thanks.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What about using this. I’ve seen this in a Camaro and this information appears on your dash where mpg, oil pressure and other stuff is.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What about using this. I’ve seen this in a Camaro and this information appears on your dash where mpg, oil pressure and other stuff is.

Thanks, this is what I currently have. My dash logic does device does not work well with my new stereo because I believe they are both drawing data from the Canbus causing a conflict.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The problem is either that the Dashcontrol or Pioneer has a code bug that only causes a problem when both devices are connected to the bus, or more likely IMO, the combined electrical load the two devices is placing on the CANBUS is reducing the signal to noise ratio, increasing the error rate on the bus, resulting in dropped packets. If it's the former, there's nothing you can do about it. If it's the latter, an "active" passthrough might fix the problem.

The Dashcontrol likely pulls a fair amount of power compared to a generic OBD dongle. And because the Dashcontrol has to talk to the DIC, it generates a lot of traffic on the OBD bus that isn't present in a "normal" car. I would bet that a generic OBD bluetooth or wifi adapter would coexist with the Pioneer just fine, because it's mostly just "listening" not "transmitting" on the CANBUS.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts