Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Courtesy of some hard core guys running in the Cadillac Challenge, weaponX now carries their diff cooler setup. It is much less expensive than others on the market and has been put through extensive testing for about 4 months including 4 track days and sixteen 20-25 minute ten to twelve lap sessions. I can confirm this design and implementation works very well. The other rear differential cooler options available thus far have all been rear mounted solutions, most requiring fans. Not only are they aesthetically unattractive (unless you like seeing the HX and fan hang beneath your car), and somewhat heavy given the framework required to mount them, the airflow beneath the car is heated.

This solution takes into consideration the following goals; nothing visible beneath the car, no fan required, best quality purpose-built components, lightweight, and significantly increase the rear differential fluid capacity from OEM 50-55 ounces.

It started by mounting a Setrab 10 row oil cooler in the upper grill in front of the radiator. In addition to unobstructed ambient fresh air flow, this location utilizes the OEM radiator fans, eliminating that necessity. Next, a full size Turbowerx Exa pump (http://turbowerx.com/Scavenge_Pumps/Exa-Pump/Exa-Pump.html) was also mounted in the front of the car, directly behind the driver side head lamp. Passenger side locations are also available. With the major components in place behind the front clip, nothing is visible from the rear or front of the car. Running Aeroquip AN-10 line with push lock fittings from the differential to the inlet of the pump, the full size Turbowerx pump (2-3GPM/350* rated max temp, 50+ PSI continuous) easily handles the long 13ft. distance from the diff to the pump, through the HX, and 13ft. back to the diff. An Setrab inline filter is installed in the feed line near the banjo fitting out of the diff for easy cleaning when changing diff gear oil. From the pump going in to and out of the HX returning to the differential fill inlet Aeroquip AN-08 push lock fittings and lines are used. A Setrab thermal switch installed in the OEM location in the diff engages the pump when rear diff oil reaches 180* and disengages when temps drop to approximately 170*.

For testing and development purposes, an oil temperature gauge was installed in the return line immediately coming out of the grill mounted HX. Knowing the inbound oil temp was at least 180*, monitoring return oil temps measured the effectiveness of the HX and the overall design.

The results:

1. Rear differential oil capacity increased by over 100% from about 55-60 ounces to over 120 ounces - nearly 4 full quarts.

2. Under normal daily driving conditions in 60-70 ambients, diff oil temps rarely triggered the thermal switch unless 45 minute or more freeway speed runs (75-85MPH) took place. 30-45 minute commuter speed or local low speed traffic never reached 180*

3. With higher ambients and/or longer duration highway trips when the thermal would trigger the pump, the return oil temperatures averaged 130-135*. When the car was parked and engine shut down, when wired to direct 12V+ the pump would typically run another 2-4 minutes maximum before shutting itself down.

4. At Auto Club Speedway in Fontana in March, 2013, ambients were in the mid to high 80’s track temp estimated to be 95-100*. Auto Club Roval configuration is a 17 turn fast track with the front straight speeds hitting the 145-160MPH range. Two other WOT straights average 110-130MPH. During the hottest session of the day (ambient low 90*’s), in the pits immediately after a 20 minute 11 lap session, return oil temperature peaked at 166*; previous sessions were in the 145-155* range. Pump turned itself off within the same 2-4 minute window. At Willow Springs in April, similar results with my car and one other car running the same set-up, except return oil temps were lower given the lower 55-65* ambient temps. HavasuSteve installed the same setup on his car and ran it for about two months. Drove to and from TX and ran the TX Mile with zero diff overheats, leaks or any other diff related issues.

Overall very pleased with the results, effectiveness and aesthetics of the kit. Lines to and from the diff can be run tucked up along the frame rails or combined with the fuel line race for both feed and return lines. Exhaust was wrapped with header wrap beneath the diff to shield the diff from exhaust heat and shield the AN lines that cross over the exhaust. A self-adhesive heat shield tape on the short portion of AN line from the fittings to beyond the exhaust can also be applied as an extra measure as pictured. Someone smarter than the developer will likely come up with a line route that does not cross the exhaust. Once accomplished, please share with the rest of us.

Installation is fairly straight forward; HX can be mounted directly to the top of the bumper or a bracket can be made from straight aluminum stock (as pictured.) Pump typically installed on driver side radiator vertical support and clears the longer CAI implementations that utilize long down tubes and the 14” green filters. This location also provides easy access to pump. Front clip does need to be removed for install. A reasonably competent DIY can usually complete the install in about 5-6 hours. The most time consuming part of the install is usually running the lines. Except for the Turbowerx pump and the Autometer adapter to install the thermal switch in the differential, everything else is Setrab components, arguably the best in the business. Hose fittings are all push lock; Aeroquip and Setrab specifically recommend against using hose clamps on these fittings. Test car #1 has zero clamps and zero leaks or drips after 4 months and 4 full track days using rubber Aeroquip hose.
NOTE: the hose clamp pictured on the return line was used ONLY to secure the wire loom for the thermal switch. Did not want to risk melting a zip tie.

Kits are now being offered to the community and can be modified to use stainless lines and fittings if desired as well as larger HX’s to further increase oil capacity and cooling or smaller HX’s if space is an issue for those with oil coolers already in place.

Cost for the first 10 kits is $1099 SHIPPED! This is a great deal considering the quality of the components used and the complete kit, which includes wiring, relay, electrical connectors, installation instructions, etc. MSRP on the full size hardened bronze helical gear-driven Turbowerx pump alone is $399. If you want stainless lines and fittings as opposed to the Aeroquip rubber lines and fittings, add $100. A manual on/off toggle switch (not included) is also suggested to manually circulate the diff oil when thermal switch temps are not reached for a period of time, and it makes purging the old diff oil from the line loop and HX during a diff oil change much easier.

Auto part Vehicle Engine Automotive fuel system Car
Auto part Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle

Attachments

·
Premium Member
17,957 Posts
Good stuff! Nice to finally have a solid solution. Just a shame that after 5 years, GM never addressed this known problem with such a fine high performance car...hey, we got RainSense wipers in 2012 though!

·
Premium Member
2,617 Posts
I'm in.

Can I mount it like a lower intercooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Just installed this kit this past weekend. I really like the design. Double the fluid capacity with no need for a fan. Cooler mounted well in front of the radiator. I mounted mine off he cross braces under the hood latch.

Oh and did I mention the support????? Jim was on the phone with me many times while Ben was in Europe. Followed up every day over the weekend. I had to get some AN fittings for the filter so it took me two days. Then followed up after my track day on Monday. Fantastic customer support!

·
Vendor
1,743 Posts
Happy to help, Dave, and again my apologies about the missing and incorrect fittings. I've updated the parts list appropriately to include those AN fittings and added one extra 45* for the HX for those who elect to mount directly to the bumper as opposed to the cross brace mount location.

CJ, you most certainly can mount it in the lower grill if you prefer. There's plenty of air flow in either location.

Here's a couple additional pics of diff setup and frame rail line install.

Automotive exhaust Exhaust system Pipe Auto part Muffler Auto part Fuel line Engine Pipe Exhaust system

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jim has been great and on top of this thing since day 1! Chris, you can PayPal $ over and we'll get it going!

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
it's heating up out there... time to take care of those rear diffs so you can push these cars harder! no sense in running laps like you're driving granny to the grocery because you're worried about over heating!

·
I'm Your Pusher
11,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Who has some racing coming up?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.