Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some of the gurus chime in on why powder coating supposedly weakens the wheels? I keep hearing both sides of the story but wanted to see what's your opinion.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I can't say I've heard of the topic, but I do know that you have to bake PC on. Baking aluminum I would think changes the metallurgy when it's a forged rim like ours. heat and cold does this to all metals, that's why tempered steel is stronger than mild steel, and why nitrogen can shatter a hammer..

some metals are more fragile to these tempreature variation than others.

·
8s are the new 9s
4,147 Posts
I've read posts about this but they have all been opinion. The guy who powder coated my rims has a dragster that is entirely powder coated (and I mean everything). He powder coats many sets of wheels each week and has never had a problem. They powder coat a lot of high end harley stuff too. I suppose if you heat the wheels too much for too long you could theoretically cause a problem, I just haven't found anyone with first hand experience with a problem. Direct observation should trump opinion. I specifically asked him if he had ever seen any issues and he said no. Here is his website: http://www.rickspowdercoating.com/index.html

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've read posts about this but they have all been opinion. The guy who powder coated my rims has a dragster that is entirely powder coated (and I mean everything). He powder coats many sets of wheels each week and has never had a problem. They powder coat a lot of high end harley stuff too. I suppose if you heat the wheels too much for too long you could theoretically cause a problem, I just haven't found anyone with first hand experience with a problem. Direct observation should trump opinion. I specifically asked him if he had ever seen any issues and he said no. Here is his website: http://www.rickspowdercoating.com/index.html
Yep i used Ricks while i was in memphis...did a great job and i dont think there is a problem with the integrity.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
should not bother the wheels 1 bit...

·
8s are the new 9s
4,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Funny you should ask: http://www.ctsvowners.com/forum/sho...C5Z06-rears-powdercoated-gloss-black-to-match
I have a set for sale that have been widened by Eric Vaughn with matching C5 Zo6 drag wheels which might be sold. I have not heard back from the guy who wanted the drag pack wheels. PM me if you would like more info.
I saw you had those for sale. I'm probably just going to have my polished stockers coated gunmetal or black chrome. I have PlastiDip on them right now (just wanted to see if I liked the all black look). I have a guy that will do all four of them for $300. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

·
Coming Soon
1,045 Posts
i heard it hurts 2 and 3 piece wheels not 1 piece wheels and i think i heard that on camaro5 but im not 100% sure

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea my stockers are powdercoated Gunmetal. I was just wondering because some friends were in a dicussion on paint vs. powder coating. I read somewhere that in in order to shift the molecular structure of an aluminum wheel, temperatures need to be 1000* degrees. At 300-400* degrees for a couple of minutes, powder coating wouldn't cause any headaches.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Yea my stockers are powdercoated Gunmetal. I was just wondering because some friends were in a dicussion on paint vs. powder coating. I read somewhere that in in order to shift the molecular structure of an aluminum wheel, temperatures need to be 1000* degrees. At 300-400* degrees for a couple of minutes, powder coating wouldn't cause any headaches.
Got any pictures mini? I'm wanting to powdercoat mine gunmetal too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've had a V1 wheel crack 2 spokes a few months after PC'ing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts