Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an HX/Intercooler loop very small leak that I can't find. I can smell it in the morning or after being shutdown for a while, when I first start up.

I've pulled the lid before and didn't see any coolant in the top of the blower.

Is there a way to pressurize the IC/HX loop, like can be done with radiator system? With my under hood tank, I'd like pressurize the loop.

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts
Does your under hood tank have a drain that you could install a nipple in to in order to add the pressure? You shouldn't need more than a few psi to hopefully find the leak.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There are coolant system pressure tester tools, hopefully one would have a fitting for the HX cap?
Harbor Freight's kit (SKU 63862 or 63893) has three universal adapters on the right side of the pic below. If needed, I can take a picture of how to set it up on the test tube.

Do not overpressurize the HX look unless you know the brick won’t be the piece that blows a leak.
And make sure you stay below 5 psi as stated on the test tube lid.

·
Registered
224 Posts
+1 for the Harbor Freight tool. I bought this one from harbor freight for my radiator coolant system and used it with my air compressor, but it might be a little too much pressure for the HX system. Still a great way to build pressure in the coolant system and suck in fresh coolant to eliminate air bubbles. Hopefully you figure it out bro!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The brick can be leaking with no coolant in there. Consider that most of the time your car is operating there is a vacuum being pulled under that lid, sometimes as low as 20kpa or less. It would. These bricks are known to leak. I took mine out, pumped about 10psi of air in there with a mittyvac and put in a bucket of water and sure enough it was leaking, The loop going to the heat exchanger is not complicated and you can test similarly by pulling both hoses and pulling a vacuum on the loop and watching for a leak.

If you don't want to take the brick out I'd disconnect the hoses, but a cork in one of the inlets and pull a 8 psi vacuum. This is comparable to the force on the brick with stock boost. Then see if the pressure drops.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Are you smelling coolant? I chased a coolant smell for months without having to add any.
That small clip-on fitting at the front of intake under throttle body had a hairline crack. It didn't leak and quit smelling after warming up
Its the small coolant line that runs from drivers fender across where air filter box was

1 - 10 of 10 Posts