Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 326 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was recently speaking with two members here on the forums about the car not feeling safe upon wot at high speeds. My car almost feels as its floating and wandering to the left. Didn’t feel as secure as I hoped a 100k CTSV would feel. Yes I have added about 250whp to the vehicle and understand that. I googled this and the ZL1’s seem to be having an issue also and no one knows exactly what is causing this just a lot of maybes. Ideas at to what is can be range from:

-Alignment
-Suspension bushings
-Tires
-Road
-Tramlining
-Elsd

Nothing is consistent except the complaint. I’ve spoken to V2 owners and they don’t feel what our platform feels so it has to be something with the platform the V3/ZL1 was built on.

Highly doubt these cars should feel like this. I’m curious to hear what you guys think or have felt.

I am on 100% stock suspension, never touched, alignment performed, front tires brand new, has done it with different rear tires. Car has 13k I doubt the bushings are bad. It’s done it on different roads. I’m looking into the elsd. And the whole idea of tramlining on a vehicle of this caliber get me angry to no end especially with the tires that a corvette has and they don’t complain about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
What is the mileage difference between the front and rear tires? Same type of tire? What kind?

I ordered some Toyo R888R's a while ago, had to order fronts from a different place than rears due to availability. Fronts came in first and I swapped them out before driving from Houston to Austin. That was a terrifying trip. Rears were the original Super Sports, had 10k miles, fronts were new. Every time I went WOT at freeway speeds, the car felt squirrely as hell. It was like the rears were getting loose while the fronts were grabbing hard, which may have been the case. Put the rears on as soon as they came in and the problem went away. Car is stock. Not saying it's the same issue as what you're having, just relaying my experience. Good luck.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the same issue on my stock 2017 with factory tires that measure 7/32. Even if I'm at around 50% throttle and I go to pass someone it feels like the car starts to float and fight me. All the lane departure stuff is disabled.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What is the mileage difference between the front and rear tires? Same type of tire? What kind?

I ordered some Toyo R888R's a while ago, had to order fronts from a different place than rears due to availability. Fronts came in first and I swapped them out before driving from Houston to Austin. That was a terrifying trip. Rears were the original Super Sports, had 10k miles, fronts were new. Every time I went WOT at freeway speeds, the car felt squirrely as hell. It was like the rears were getting loose while the fronts were grabbing hard, which may have been the case. Put the rears on as soon as they came in and the problem went away. Car is stock. Not saying it's the same issue as what you're having, just relaying my experience. Good luck.
Stock Michelin Super Sports. Fronts are brand new only a couple of months. Rears are 2.5 years old with 13k. I’ll be swapping out the rears in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the same issue on my stock 2017 with factory tires that measure 7/32. Even if I'm at around 50% throttle and I go to pass someone it feels like the car starts to float and fight me. All the lane departure stuff is disabled.
That’s sucks. Shouldn’t be this way.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Corvettes for sure tram. Physics is physics.
I drove my uncles 19 ZR1 and it was the most stable car I’ve ever felt at 150mph. Rock solid and no wandering at all. Manual and I only had one hand on the wheel. My V requires both hands. I wanted to throw my V in the trash, but then I remembered I can’t afford a ZR1

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I drove my uncles 19 ZR1 and it was the most stable car I’ve ever felt at 150mph. Rock solid and no wandering at all. Manual and I only had one hand on the wheel. My V requires both hands. I wanted to throw my V in the trash, but then I remembered I can’t afford a ZR1

My 2001 C5 trammed bad, even with the Baer bump steer kit on it. Wide tires up front do what they do.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My 2001 C5 trammed bad, even with the Baer bump steer kit on it. Wide tires up front do what they do.
That sucks. I heard from a member here that skinnies make it better but it’s still bad.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
My car has 7k miles and has felt horrible from day 1 with the wandering issue. Stock tires from factory are like brand new. Car has been to 3 or 4 shops getting alignment and every time they say its spot on.

If I switch to my drag wheels it does get a little better but not enough to make you feel safe. Car is super scary at the track. Like struggling to keep in lane. I'm doing coil overs now to try and see if that changes anything and then a true 17" or 18" skinny instead of the Weld 20's up front.

I've had other people make an attempt down the track and they let out half track and come back and say they will never drive it again.

·
Premium Member
2,878 Posts
Fuck, this isn’t what I like to hear! Aren’t you running 140+ in the quarter flnt? That would be scary! I wonder if that Procharged V has the same problem, he’s running in the 8’s I think...

Reactions: Lt4Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been up to 160 and solid as a rock. I also have it aligned every 6 months.

These things require a four wheel alignment and it is ALWAYS off, if you drive anywhere with ANY type of shitty roads it is likely your cause. They don't hold an alignment well and can get knocked off easy.

It would be the first thing I would check.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Was recently speaking with two members here on the forums about the car not feeling safe upon wot at high speeds. My car almost feels as its floating and wandering to the left. Didn’t feel as secure as I hoped a 100k CTSV would feel. Yes I have added about 250whp to the vehicle and understand that. I googled this and the ZL1’s seem to be having an issue also and no one knows exactly what is causing this just a lot of maybes. Ideas at to what is can be range from:

-Alignment
-Suspension bushings
-Tires
-Road
-Tramlining
-Elsd

Nothing is consistent except the complaint. I’ve spoken to V2 owners and they don’t feel what our platform feels so it has to be something with the platform the V3/ZL1 was built on.

Highly doubt these cars should feel like this. I’m curious to hear what you guys think or have felt.

I am on 100% stock suspension, never touched, alignment performed, front tires brand new, has done it with different rear tires. Car has 13k I doubt the bushings are bad. It’s done it on different roads. I’m looking into the elsd. And the whole idea of tramlining on a vehicle of this caliber get me angry to no end especially with the tires that a corvette has and they don’t complain about this.

Also, what mods have you done to gain 250?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, what mods have you done to gain 250?
226whp but I rounded up .

Intake, Longtubes, Exhaust, 10” Lower, Camshaft, e85, Meth, Low side Fuel Kit, New style blower lid and Vengeance Racing Tune. Thinknk that’s everything. Dynod 550/550 stock and after 776/796.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been up to 160 and solid as a rock. I also have it aligned every 6 months.

These things require a four wheel alignment and it is ALWAYS off, if you drive anywhere with ANY type of shitty roads it is likely your cause. They don't hold an alignment well and can get knocked off easy.

It would be the first thing I would check.
Also alignment was performed at a very reputable alignment shop in Miami, Fl and not much of a difference. I should feel secure and I don’t

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have noticed the same issue when I've run my car at the track. The car seems to drift around making you very focused with both hands on the steering wheel. Car is all stock except when I have run 17" Welds with Mickey ET streets. Car traps between 119 and 121 depending mainly on weather. It almost gets to the point where you think you might lose it. Rear tire swap does not change the issue. Glad to see someone else has brought this up.

This doesn't seem like a problem that you could go to the dealer for under warranty but maybe I am wrong...

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have noticed the same issue when I've run my car at the track. The car seems to drift around making you very focused with both hands on the steering wheel. Car is all stock except when I have run 17" Welds with Mickey ET streets. Car traps between 119 and 121 depending mainly on weather. It almost gets to the point where you think you might lose it. Rear tire swap does not change the issue. Glad to see someone else has brought this up.

This doesn't seem like a problem that you could go to the dealer for under warranty but maybe I am wrong...
Being a GM technician, I’d have to say going to the dealer would be a no go. Due to the fact that I can’t get on the highway and go 120 mph to duplicate the concern. Some way we need to get to the bottom of this or I’ll just sell the car. I want to enjoy my car not be scared to race it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm about 554hp over stock but I personally haven't driven it yet. But when car was 750hp it was scary running 10.25.

When car was stock I could feel it "floating" over 100. Even though they are modded they shouldn't feel like that.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Fuck, this isn’t what I like to hear! Aren’t you running 140+ in the quarter flnt? That would be scary! I wonder if that Procharged V has the same problem, he’s running in the 8’s I think...
It was real close to that in the 1/4.

1 - 20 of 326 Posts