Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am currently sitting on the side of the road at 3:45 a.m. with a blown left rear tire and I went to put the spare on but the wheel hits the caliper. What's the point of having a spare if it doesn't fit? Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Sucks, I think 17" Spare need a spacer but the 18" Spares don't, I carry a 18" 2008-2014 CTS Spare ... I have spacers but have never thought of carrying one, maybe I should throw one in the trunk just to be safe ...

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I remember random did a write up on the spare tire for his wagon.

I followed his instruction for my coupe, and it worked out for me.

Attachments

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
2,751 Posts
3:45am in the morning and your posting on here? Hope you got it figured out and got home safely. In Houston, if you’re on the shoulder too long, your bound to get nailed from behind by some dumb drunk.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
Spare? I assume you added this to your car. All I have it a subwoofer and it's not going to get me too far if I try to put that on the hub

Reactions: Ketzer and Sommer86

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
$70k+ for a car it should come with a spare and xtra rotors and pads.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spare? I assume you added this to your car. All I have it a subwoofer and it's not going to get me too far if I try to put that on the hub
The spare came with the car. It was in my owners manual and everything because while I was setting on the side of the road, I read through it to make sure there wasn't a spacer hidden somewhere. It showed all of the other parts that I have but didn't say anything about a spacer so I just ordered one online to throw in the back for next time. I ended up having to get my girlfriend to make a 2 hour round trip to take me back home and pick up my drag radials so it was a rough night lol.

·
Super Moderator
17,096 Posts
The spare came with the car. It was in my owners manual and everything because while I was setting on the side of the road, I read through it to make sure there wasn't a spacer hidden somewhere. It showed all of the other parts that I have but didn't say anything about a spacer so I just ordered one online to throw in the back for next time. I ended up having to get my girlfriend to make a 2 hour round trip to take me back home and pick up my drag radials so it was a rough night lol.
For the record no V comes with a spare nor would it be described in the owners manual.

Fix a flat kit with air compressor is all you get with a V.

Some have cobbled up makeshift spare tire kits , but variable and not factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,865 Posts
My wife’s 6cyl 2012 coupe didn’t come with one either.
I don’t think I have had a car with a factory spare in over 12 years besides the Jeep Wrangler we got last year

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
For the record no V comes with a spare nor would it be described in the owners manual.

Fix a flat kit with air compressor is all you get with a V.

Some have cobbled up makeshift spare tire kits , but variable and not factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
+1

Whatever the OP has did not come with the car. Prior owner probably ordered or swapped a spare from the base model or one of the aftermarket variants and never gave it another thought.

You can walk into any tire store and have them order an 18" wheel and low profile tire to act as a spare for around $300. The only challenge is making sure it fits in the back. I do have a thread here somewhere... as I also had to do it twice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Your Owner's Manual serves a dual purpose as it is written for both the CTS and the CTS-V.

My regular CTS wagon did not come with the spare, although after driving many many loaners due to Cadillac's incompetency in fixing my transmission I now have a spare tire in my car. I would never consider using it on my V, however due to the reasons you have experienced.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Your Owner's Manual serves a dual purpose as it is written for both the CTS and the CTS-V.

My regular CTS wagon did not come with the spare, although after driving many many loaners due to Cadillac's incompetency in fixing my transmission I now have a spare tire in my car. I would never consider using it on my V, however due to the reasons you have experienced.
Did you buy your base CTS new or used? Perhaps yours was used or removed before you took ownership? We had a used CTS Wagon (base model) at one time that did have a jack and spare with it that appeared to be original issue; and my understanding is that the base models DID get spares in the trunk as it was a more traditional size. I think I still have the scissor jack from it in the garage....

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Mine was a two year old used Performance Package. She (the original owner with whom I had a conversation) did not order the spare tire extra cost option.

Reactions: random84

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm honestly not sure. The manual said wagon spare tire changing instructions and had full photo references and all of the parts were original equipment. The tire and subwoofer, jack, lug wrench, flat tire retaining straps and the foam piece that keeps it all organized matched the owner's manual exactly. Whether the first owner pulled it out of the base model or not is unknown to me. I always assumed it came with the car because the subwoofer fits inside of the tire perfectly and everything appeared original. I ordered a spacer to throw in the rear for next time I run into this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
The spare kit was an option that could be ordered from the dealer for the base model. It's not a spacer you need however, it's an inch and a half thick adapter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts