Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Part is being 3D scanned this week. Gabe says fit is very good, this will be one of the best pieces they've done!
Still working on pricing for the group buy based on 10 units or 20 units. I'm paying for the scan out of pocket to get us an image of what we are buying...but we are all sharing the cost of production equally, thats how the GB works...

I'm really counting on you guys to spread the word and step up for the group buy.

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
15,260 Posts
If you need a test Wagon to verify fitment, let me know. I am interested pending final product and price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
If you need a test Wagon to verify fitment, let me know. I am interested pending final product and price.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
I sent them a tail panel with my wing mounted to it, so proper fit is guaranteed.
I'm working back and forth with them trying to keep the cost down as much as we can... trying to keep it in line with the ATS-V rear wing they offer (this is a little more complex than the ATS wing and will cost a little more) the biggest factor is how many actually commit to the GB.
There is talk of offering a choice when ordering of gloss or matte finish on the carbon, with matte being slightly cheaper.

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Ok everybody, its LIVE!!! ....and we've already got one participant! (me)
I'm also going to reach out to each one of you by PM so you can reply with anything you don't want public.
PLEASE, PLEASE repost on your social media stuff and tell your wagon buddies so we can get the numbers to make the GB work!

The GB is pretty self explanatory but I'm happy to answer any questions I can...
Jeff-

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you for your effort, this offering!

Couple of question, please excuse me if they have already been answered:

how does it look when you turn on the brake lights.

Any full car profile pictures (rear and sides)?

"require drilling 4 holes on the rear mounting surface" -- where exactly; so its nonreversible ?

Thx.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thank you for your effort, this offering!

Couple of question, please excuse me if they have already been answered:

how does it look when you turn on the brake lights.

Any full car profile pictures (rear and sides)?

"require drilling 4 holes on the rear mounting surface" -- where exactly; so its nonreversible ?

Thx.
I'm happy to answer any questions I can!

The brake light is still very easy to see with the spoiler on, I think even more so because the spoiler and rear glass create a tunnel effect and reflect the light more.

The only pics I have are the ones shown on the group buy page of my early prototype. I tried distance shots, but with a phone camera the resolution didnt really show the spoiler.

We looked at trying to make the spoiler attach with sticky tape...this was an absolute no-go. The size of the spoiler and the amount of downforce are too much to risk your $600 spoiler coming off at speed and damaging your vehicle or someone else's. The factory piece that the third brake light is in will have to be removed (very easy to do, I will post a video of step by step) and four small holes drilled along the lower edge. Template will be provided.
I wouldn't say nonreversible... the holes are small and could easily be filled and the panel is removable so it could be painted off the car. What I did was to purchase a used second factory panel off ebay already in my factory color and used it to drill holes into. I paid $100 for it and can easily swap them back and forth.

Thanks!
Jeff-

Reactions: subaru335i

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Guys and Gals, I welcome any comments about this....
I understand that each person might have designed the spoiler a little different. I tried several different designs, some less, some more. Got opinions from my local car buddies. This final version really matched the lines the best without being too much GIANT WING/DIVING PLATFORM... I initially tried designs that moved the 3rd brake light and/or replaced the factory panel, if you've ever looked at the design of the factory 3rd brakelight, it is very oddly shaped....these were waaayy too complicated and would have never made it to production.

I think the pricing is very good considering this is a one-off for a very small market. I have bought carbon fiber for my Duc and for another vehicle I have, compared to those, I can promise you this is a very fair price for a US made product, but I welcome comments about that also...

Please share the GB in your social media groups and other forums you visit! We need those commitments to start production.

Jeff-

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think we need to see a final version, or 1 of xx version. The GB shows the original concept which is fine but also leaves some thought to how it will look as a one piece design. Any chance they can make yours as the prototype "001" for us to see instead of the cad design?

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I think we need to see a final version, or 1 of xx version. The GB shows the original concept which is fine but also leaves some thought to how it will look as a one piece design. Any chance they can make yours as the prototype "001" for us to see instead of the cad design?
I had a feeling that would be an issue for some.
To make the jump from CAD to reality is $2100 in mold costs (two separate molds, a top and a bottom that get bonded together). The 10 commitments (deposits) covers that part and makes sure CFGB doesn't get stuck with an expensive mold no one wants parts from. Gabe asked me if I wanted to foot the total bill (around $2500 total to realize the first finished spoiler) and get paid back down the road...I've done quite a bit on my own dime and effort to get us to this point, but I am not willing to invest that much. Especially after seeing very little response thus far.

Reactions: V_Wagon

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Allrighty then....it looks like this is going to be a bust...??
I've asked Gabe to take my improved prototype that they used to make the CAD scan for the new spoilers and do a carbon fiber overlay. So in theory it will look exactly like the group buy spoiler...just a lot heavier. Once they get it cleared and polished, he'll ship it back to me and I'll put it back on the wagon and get lots of pictures....
Maybe pictures will spark some interest...?

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Ok compadres, last ditch effort here to jump start some interest. I got my prototype back with a fresh carbon job and took a bunch more pics.
PLEASE note, this is my prototype just cleaned up a little...the actual spoilers will be all carbon fiber and flawless...

Reactions: RobF300

·
Registered
21 Posts
I also always wanted some rear wing/spoiler on my wagon. I have long thought of the Saturn Skye rear wing, from that little 2-seater they did a few years ago. It has a very similar angular style, and it is small enough to fit on the wagon's rear door, on the upper painted piece that houses the third brake light. They are under $200 on eBay. Anyone ever try that, or something like it?

·
Premium Member
15,260 Posts
Ok compadres, last ditch effort here to jump start some interest. I got my prototype back with a fresh carbon job and took a bunch more pics.
PLEASE note, this is my prototype just cleaned up a little...the actual spoilers will be all carbon fiber and flawless...

This looks better than I was expecting. Can you link to higher resolution photos?

·
Registered
21 Posts
PLMK when and if you get enough orders. I want one as soon as you can get them done. Looks great!!!!! Just the way it should

·
Registered
60 Posts
PLMK when and if you get enough orders. I want one as soon as you can get them done. Looks great!!!!! Just the way it should
Sign me up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
This looks better than I was expecting. Can you link to higher resolution photos?
I think thats the best I can do...the hosting site limits the res/file size?

It's good to see some renewed interest!
Anyone who wants to get in on the GroupBuy can see it here...

Jeff-

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think thats the best I can do...the hosting site limits the res/file size?

It's good to see some renewed interest!
Anyone who wants to get in on the GroupBuy can see it here...

Jeff-
Done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Awesome! Please help spread the word!
I've done a little social media cross-posting and tagging, even included the link to the GB on my IG sig. PLease do the same!

If anyone is at all concerned about the company doing the carbon work (Commonfibers), go to their Instagram page and look at some of the projects they are associated with (SSC Tuatara, Sixtwelveautoworx Charger...). They even offer tips/videos on IG for others trying to do carbon work.

Jeff-

81 - 100 of 102 Posts