Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
We're getting close to enough interest to move forward on this....
1) Obviously everyones commitment depends on price and quality, but you guys know "cheap aint good and good aint cheap"...
2) I'm only trying to help move it along, I'm not in charge of it, not making a dime from it.

Jeff-

Reactions: V_Wagon

·
Registered
18 Posts
Will your product, once made, be a direct swap of the 3rd brake panel or will this be just the wing to mount to the existing panel?

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Will your product, once made, be a direct swap of the 3rd brake panel or will this be just the wing to mount to the existing panel?
Mount to the existing panel is the current plan. My current version attaches with fasteners (stainless bolts) through the factory piece. I will ask the company making them if they think stick on is an option...but I can tell you from experience that the wing gets some wind pressure at speed. I would NOT want a stick-on version myself.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you mounted up your prototype, did you remove the panel for fastening? Or some sort of drill through/self tapping fasteners? I'm going to go back through this thread but thought it would be a good talking point. As I'm sure most of us may want to buy a replacement 3rd brake panel since the wagons are rare.

Cool side note: if you have black diamond tricoat, Gloss Black Metallic 3M 1080 vinyl is about a 95% match. I used it for my chrome delete.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
When you mounted up your prototype, did you remove the panel for fastening? Or some sort of drill through/self tapping fasteners? I'm going to go back through this thread but thought it would be a good talking point. As I'm sure most of us may want to buy a replacement 3rd brake panel since the wagons are rare.

Cool side note: if you have black diamond tricoat, Gloss Black Metallic 3M 1080 vinyl is about a 95% match. I used it for my chrome delete.
I did remove the factory panel for attaching the wing.
My design uses threaded inserts in the wing and button head bolts with over sized washers that go through the factory panel and into the wing.

Someone could definitely design a really small "lip" wing that might stay on with sticky tape...but that was never my plan.

I bought a spare used factory panel already the right color in factory paint off ebay for about $125...if anybody has any hesitation about drilling holes into your factory panel, this is an easy option.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I found 2 used ones in a different paint than my wagon for around $200. The GM parts direct price is $198 I believe. This is a great option for those who may want to go back to stock, if ever ;)

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Any updates, Jeff? I scored a used 3rd brake light panel for $120, so 1 step closer.
I've got to get them my wing for starters. It needs a few blemishes body worked and a good heavy clear coat added before I send it. I hope to do that this week/weekend.
I wanted to see if this was really going to happen before I took mine off the car...and there really does seem to be some strong interest!

Gabe is my contact at CFGroupbuy.com. Email last week says they are about 60 days on a new project....specifically they would need about a month to perfect a mold and another month to have finished product. He also said they are neck deep in a supercar project...BUT, he felt like he could get us worked in. Gabe did ask me what price point I thought these would be at and I do not know. I know you cunts can be cheapasses and completely unrealistic at times... I want a high quality piece, that is first and price is second.

Over the last year or so, I contacted several carbon fiber companies about this project. I either got zero response or a very vague generic reply. This company (Common Fibers) was quick to respond, and seems genuinely interested in making it happen. They have a regular post presence on social media and the parts look very top notch. If anybody has an opinion or experience about the company, you are welcome to speak up. I have not dealt with them before, am not making any profit, am not getting a free wing, etc.

Jeff-

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Current status is, you guys are waiting on me... along with work and several other projects, I'm trying to get my wing refinished to a point where the carbon fiber folks might be able to use it as a pattern/mold. I say might because they haven't seen it yet and I know squat about what can be molded...its all still up in the air until they see it.
Speaking of up in the air....

Second coat of epoxy prime. Next a little polyester prime, alot of block sanding, and a coat of paint...then we box and ship.

Jeff-

Reactions: random84 and flntv

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Latest update. I am boxed and ready to ship. I reached out to Gabe late in the week to assess their current situation.... I do not want to send this out until I'm sure 1) It will get delivered, 2) They are open and processing parts. Once he responds to my email and confirms they are not all carbon covered zombies, away it goes....

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Latest news.....
Exchanged emails with Gabe today. They are still working, but new guidelines are coming out every day and they may be forced to shut down. He suggested waiting a couple weeks to see how things shake out and I was already thinking same.
Sorry everyone....next update will be April.

Jeff-

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Checking in on this
They are for the most part shut down until businesses are allowed to reopen. They are still maintaining a social media presence so the company is still there, just no staff working.
I am monitoring, and in contact with them, as soon as I can confirm they are receiving new work I will ship to them.

Jeff-

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Some of you may have noticed my wagon for sale on BaT. Sad but true.

Dont despair though! I still intend to see the rear spoiler project through. I'm hoping to hear back from Gabe this week on being able to finally ship it to them.

Jeff-

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Shipped out today! Will keep everyone updated!

Reactions: random84

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Gabe has the spoiler and we are discussing how to get it to production.
There are design elements to consider and final cost. We are trying to sort through what makes the most sense.

One aspect we both agree on, it has to be mechanically fastened to the factory piece. Any sticky-tape solution would be short lived.

Updates and pricing hopefully soon!

61 - 80 of 102 Posts