Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow - didn't quite see this coming. No word on the root cause, but since VW owns Audi and Porsche, and I know we have a lot of Audi and Porsche owners and fans on here, thought it was relevant.

Seems to be some rumors that VW's cost structures weren't very good and I guess they are wanting a leaner, meaner company. Guess the emissions cheating scandal didn't help either.

Curious what everyone's take is, and does this bode well for brands like GM, Ford, etc? Or are they on totally different playing fields? Then you gotta mix in that Trump seems to have some focus on leveling the playing field with regards to import taxes and tariffs - in China and particularly with Germany.

Hope this doesn't bode poorly for the good old horsepower wars...

EDIT - I guess this news has been out for a few days now, but I'm just seeing it?

·
Jaguar
851 Posts
Lol, Ive had coworkers ask me lately about the potential emissions worries since I put test pipes on the car. I gesture like im typing and say tune around it, a couple have replied your as bad as VW in a joking manner. They're just jelly...

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
Every OEM has its skeletons.

Netflix dirty money Season 1 Episode 1 “Hard Nox” is a must watch.

If you watch it and only believe 50% you would never buy a VW again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts

I watched it and can’t believe that the whole leadership team didn’t go to jail. I would never buy a VW

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
I watched it and can’t believe that the whole leadership team didn’t go to jail. I would never buy a VW

When you buy off politicians you get a pass. See the twat waffle Elizabeth Holmes from Theranos, she scammed what 700 million? Had all the right people on her board and advisory council.
VW is no different.

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
If only we held the politicians accountable.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Random,

Never going to happen, I would like to think so but they are only there to enrich themselves, family and friends. When the torches and pitchforks come out, I'lll grab the popcorn. it will be fun to watch.

·
2X 9 second club
11,148 Posts

I bought a new 2001 Jetta WB edition, and it was the biggest heaping pile of shit ever. we kept it not even 2 years and I was so furious about some repair that had to be done at 25K miles that was out of warranty, I walked into the showroom (which was a Honda dealer too) and said sell me the cheapest civic you have on the lot.

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
did you see the extent of that emissions cheating? it was really amazing
Yeah - it really was, wasn't it? That really make me think twice about buying any of their cars, just on principle

Lol, Ive had coworkers ask me lately about the potential emissions worries since I put test pipes on the car. I gesture like im typing and say tune around it, a couple have replied your as bad as VW in a joking manner. They're just jelly...
I swing both ways on emissions. While I modded my car and clearly that doesn't help, I at least did cats and run E85, which helps. I don't think anyone has to go totally "tree hugger", but we also probably shouldn't piss into the wind with regard to pollution either. It's a contentious subject and I didn't want to stir the pot too much as I know we have people on both sides, and I myself have mixed feelings. Scientifically I know the issue well, but realistically and practically, I think we have to find a good middle ground.

Yeah - the more I learn, the more I am thinking same as you...never again.

Fundamentally, I strongly believe that this right here is exactly why companies don't take shit seriously. If the CEO and CXO group though jail time was a very real outcome, they'd be keeping the company in line 100%. But as long as someone with a ton of money thinks that money can buy influence, then shit ain't gonna change.

When you buy off politicians you get a pass. See the twat waffle Elizabeth Holmes from Theranos, she scammed what 700 million? Had all the right people on her board and advisory council.
VW is no different.
I know - $700 million is a fuckload of cash. She's pretty and sorta smart, and a smooth talker. And yes - she had the right people on the take with her - maybe not directly on the take in some cases, but CLEARLY benefiting from the association/relationship. I find it unconscionable that she didn't spend at least a few years in jail.

·
Super Moderator
16,535 Posts
I really don’t think everyday joes understand the magnitude to what cheating emissions means.

I am far from a tree hugger and personally cheat my emissions on my car. But VW effectively killed many.

VW’s desire to do human testing to falsify how clean their emissions were borderline nazi/hitler shit.

They opted to kill monkeys instead. Simply disgusting.

VW’s roots are Hitler.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
We sold our TDI Touareg back...got almost ALL the money back after 5 years and 50k miles...(paid $52k, got $46k selling it back) although I LOVE my Audi, so I might be a hypocrite....who knew...

·
Premium Member
17,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We sold our TDI Touareg back...got almost ALL the money back after 5 years and 50k miles...(paid $52k, got $46k selling it back) although I LOVE my Audi, so I might be a hypocrite....who knew...
We love our Audi too. I don't think its like fur where you gotta just throw it away. We won't sell our Audi - we bought it before I was really tuned in to all this.

But it will really make me think twice about my next car. If you think about it - a car is a huge transfer of wealth. Its expensive and is a rapidly depreciating asset and isn't permanent the way a parcel of land is. A tract of land will last forever effectively. But a car can literally rust away to oblivion.

What I draw from that is that when you give $40, $50, $100k or more to a car company - that represents a large transfer of money into the hands of another group of people and probably another country that may not share your values and principles.

For example - I know robf300 and I don't see eye to eye on Tesla. But I've seen how he acts in regards to animals and humans enough to know he's a great guy. I'd much rather spend my hard earned money to support him and his family and the stand-up guy that he is as opppsed to sending my money to an organization with a lower set of ethical and moral values.

I could say the same about many of you. And in the end, that does and should carry a higher weight than I've really given in the past. I've always bought cars based on price and features and my personal wants and desires. I'm thinking I should change that...

·
Premium Member
12,402 Posts
the hits just keep on coming for VW

Volkswagen is in a bit of trouble again, this time for selling pre-production cars that weren’t approved to be on public roads, German newspaper Handelsblatt reports.

The news site confirmed via a VW spokesperson that the Wolfsburg-based company sold roughly 6,700 “test cars” in both the U.S. and Europe between 2006 and 2018, with the majority of those having been sold in Germany.

The cars, Handelsblatt says, were built before official series production began, and were meant to be used for testing or as display vehicles. They were not certified to be on the roads, the site writes. The story continues:

https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-in-hot-water-for-selling-unauthorized-pre-1831012179

·
Premium Member
14,392 Posts
Although they may have actually purposefully skirted the law and are thus due the consequences, I always hold a deep suspicion for any group that owns all the locks, makes all the keys and enforces all the rules: Governments.

For all of VW's purported atrocities, they pale in comparison to those of our elected Governments.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts