Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced my battery last week, the car had been cranking progressively slower over the last few months. New battery , Now im seeing 14.9 on the volts...seems too high to me...voltage regulator issues?

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2013 CTS-V Coupe 6MT Silver/Black
115 Posts
If I sit (engine off/accessories on) in a parking lot for like 15-20 min with the radio on low and using my Aeroforce to run my fans and HX pump. Mine sits around 14.9ish volts for a bit when I start it back up. Clearly the regulator trying to top her back off. But it slowly tapers back down once it's good again.
I would say it's either yours has some kinda parasitic drain. Or your battery is different from stock in a way that the regulator constantly thinks it needs to top it off. Or you're having an issue with the regulator or the sensor cuff that should be on your negative battery lead right near the battery where it's not realizing your battery is good charge-wise. Or it's none of the above and I just wasted my time typing because I must have no idea what I'm talking about LMAO

· Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I sit (engine off/accessories on) in a parking lot for like 15-20 min with the radio on low and using my Aeroforce to run my fans and HX pump. Mine sits around 14.9ish volts for a bit when I start it back up. Clearly the regulator trying to top her back off. But it slowly tapers back down once it's good again.
I would say it's either yours has some kinda parasitic drain. Or your battery is different from stock in a way that the regulator constantly thinks it needs to top it off. Or you're having an issue with the regulator or the sensor cuff that should be on your negative battery lead right near the battery where it's not realizing your battery is good charge-wise. Or it's none of the above and I just wasted my time typing because I must have no idea what I'm talking about LMAO
I put in a diehard agm battery , not sure if that makes a difference

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,816 Posts
To charge a Lead Acid battery (in any reasonable amount of time) you need to hit it with a higher voltage than 12V. Usually something like 2.3V/cell is used but it can go higher without a problem. 2.5V/cell wouldn't be unusual. A 12V battery has 6 cells, so normal charging voltage would be north of 13.8V. Car electrical systems generally run north of 14.5V. You should never see 12V being reported while the engine is turning. Once the battery is charged I'd expect the voltage to drop to something closer to 13V but not below that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.