Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the owners manual to see if there's any special procedures to follow prior to removing vehicle battery. I didn't see anything but jumping vehicle battery procedures that's it. I was curious which vehicle systems that would be effect with the total power removal, not concerned about pre-set radio stations. My V is a 16 and my volt meter readings on DIC was jumping from 12.2 - 13.0 volts while vehicle was being driven. I purchased a new battery, very expensive!!!! Just looking for any insight from fellow members who have swap-out vehicle battery for tips.

v/r

Mike

·
Registered
130 Posts
I looked through the owners manual to see if there's any special procedures to follow prior to removing vehicle battery. I didn't see anything but jumping vehicle battery procedures that's it. I was curious which vehicle systems that would be effect with the total power removal, not concerned about pre-set radio stations. My V is a 16 and my volt meter readings on DIC was jumping from 12.2 - 13.0 volts while vehicle was being driven. I purchased a new battery, very expensive!!!! Just looking for any insight from fellow members who have swap-out vehicle battery for tips.

v/r

Mike
Cadillac tax, even for batteries

That's why I never put in my vehicle when I get tires because I feel like they want to charge you more for what kinda vehicle I own. They probably aren't but that's just how I feel

lt4mike will probably chime in on the process

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
You will have to relearn the tire pressure monitoring system. You can get the tool on Amazon for like $20. I can show you how to put the car in learn mode when you’re ready. Easy process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

Basically, Ignition on, scroll to the tire pressure display on the instrument cluster, press and hold the select button until you hear two honks.

Starting at the driver front tire and working clockwise, LF+RF+RR+LR, place the tip of the tool on the sidewall of the tire closest to the valve stem and press the button. One honk will mean the sensor was learned.

When you finish at the driver rear tire, you will hear one honk then two honks and you are done.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
So a question for you V3 guys.

When I had my V2 battery changed, the battery shop, not a box store like Advanced Auto, plugged a battery into the OBD port and then swapped out. They unhooked from the OBD when done.

Can you do that?

Reactions: Lt4Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LTmike
Thanks for your replies, I was able to remove the drivers side truck side wall which allowed access to the battery, I was taken back with that positive cable box that is part of some type of relay/protection which attaches to the battery. It took me a few minutes to figure out to remove it then extract the battery. Those plastic side wall panel fasteners took some careful manipulation to remove. all said and done I completed the battery R/R without any car system issues. Radio presets, drivers set memory didn't change and no TPMS issues.

Thanks again for your inputs!! This is what makes this forum so helpful!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
So a question for you V3 guys.

When I had my V2 battery changed, the battery shop, not a box store like Advanced Auto, plugged a battery into the OBD port and then swapped out. They unhooked from the OBD when done.

Can you do that?
I’m sure you could.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Probably the best advice I could give someone when replacing a battery on a V3 is do not disconnect all of the small wires from the positive cable terminal block. Remove it from the battery in one unit along with the positive cable. I have seen where people disconnect all of the small wires and end up creating problems.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Is the battery on the V3 in the trunk like it is on the V2?
For my car, I connected a portable jump pack (a battery charger will work too) to the leads under the hood while I swapped out the battery. That way I didn't lose my settings and have to go through the relearn process for the windows (which really isn't a big deal).

·
Registered
118 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have to remove the trunk floor cover that covers the emergency air compressor, and then remove the plastic piece inside of the trunk above the rear bumper. I then used a cheap bungee cord to hold the truck panel over so I had access to the battery. There may be a few bolts, clips and retainers I am forgetting about. Really not hard at all.
I used an ACDelco AGM replacement battery (same type that was installed when new), as I did not want to worry about having to top the battery with water or worry about acid spills.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I replaced mine not long ago. The main issue is to make sure you do not have the ignition on. (Not that you would intentionally do that) but In the factory service manual there is a warning that disconnecting battery cables with ign on can cause the backup battery in the optional backup alarm system (if you have advanced security package option) to completely drain requring module replacement. For some reason when I was disconnecting my battery this extra alarm system sounded becuause I think I still had the doors locked with trunk open. Regardless, I had no issues and no tire pressure relearn was necessary for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Probably the best advice I could give someone when replacing a battery on a V3 is do not disconnect all of the small wires from the positive cable terminal block. Remove it from the battery in one unit along with the positive cable. I have seen where people disconnect all of the small wires and end up creating problems.
That's what I did, This box that all these wires along with positive cable needed to be removed intact to be transferred onto the new vehicle battery. This is the first I seen one of these multi connection boxes on battery. I checked my 19 Escalade it has the same box its battery also. Just disconnect the Neg cable first then Pos cable then unsnap the connectors on both sides of the box allows these wires to remain secure for the transfer to new battery.
I removed my truck floor liner to allow the removal of the drivers side truck liner to gain access to battery compartment. When I remove truck floor liner I notice that myb16 V was signed by two workers on the assembly line along with the date they signed. Pretty cool,check your V's guys to see who asseblied your V and the date.

Mike
If I remember correctly, you have to remove the trunk floor cover that covers the emergency air compressor, and then remove the plastic piece inside of the trunk above the rear bumper. I then used a cheap bungee cord to hold the truck panel over so I had access to the battery. There may be a few bolts, clips and retainers I am forgetting about. Really not hard at all.
I used an ACDelco AGM replacement battery (same type that was installed when new), as I did not want to worry about having to top the battery with water or worry about acid spills.
I accomplished the same steps and procedures to did, hardest part was removing the plastic connectors holding the truck side wall liner. Did you notice if your V was signed by the assembly works at the plants, forward of the air compressor stowage compartment??

good write for others to follow!

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts