Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2011 Black Wagon
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for input on durability of titanium retainers. I have run these in my air cooled VW engine that sees regular 9000 rpm pulls, but have noticed some wear (.030”) after maybe 100 hours that required replacement. In engines we would build for longevity, we would always use chromoly retainers as the weight was negligible to titanium. The weight difference of both is considerably lighter when compared the stock stamped steel retainers.

Knowing my V will never see this type of engine speed, and knowing the advantage of titanium retainers when attempting to spool an engine that high, I don’t really see the point of running titanium retainers since high rpm is not the goal.

My question then is has anyone here used chromoly steel or seen failures from titanium?

I’m considering titanium or hollow intake valves, silicone bronze guides and chromoly steel retainers. I figure the lighter weight of the valve would offset the weight of the steel retainers, but steel could offer more durability. Am I way off base?

· Registered
46 Posts
Looking for input on durability of titanium retainers. I have run these in my air cooled VW engine that sees regular 9000 rpm pulls, but have noticed some wear (.030”) after maybe 100 hours that required replacement. In engines we would build for longevity, we would always use chromoly retainers as the weight was negligible to titanium. The weight difference of both is considerably lighter when compared the stock stamped steel retainers.

Knowing my V will never see this type of engine speed, and knowing the advantage of titanium retainers when attempting to spool an engine that high, I don’t really see the point of running titanium retainers since high rpm is not the goal.

My question then is has anyone here used chromoly steel or seen failures from titanium?

I’m considering titanium or hollow intake valves, silicone bronze guides and chromoly steel retainers. I figure the lighter weight of the valve would offset the weight of the steel retainers, but steel could offer more durability. Am I way off base?
Anytime you can lighten the valve train, it's a win. I ran titanium retainers on a street engine 40k and never had an issue. Pulled the heads for some work around 30k and there was no noticeable wear.. they went right back on.
That engine sees 6700rpm at times.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.