Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who's owned a V2 and moved up to a V3.

I currently own a V2 Wagon and when the wife found out I wanted to spend money on it for sound deadening and a new hood she said why not by the newer V3 because it should be better. Umm ok dear...

My main objection to my V2 is even with new Michelins the road noise for my taste is higher than I'd like. I know the V3 interior is a big step up from the V2 but is the car quieter at higher freeway speeds? To test drive one is at least 50 miles away and getting on the freeway during the test can be an issue.

Reactions: MYV

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
I added sound deadener and it is really quiet inside. The only real noise is the tires above 65 mph.

I lined the floor, door panels, and inner fenders.

I didn’t do the roof due to the fact that I think pulling the headliner is a pita. Had I done that, I think i would have had it done in black alcantara.

I think a wagon would have seen even more dramatic results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I just learned today the the V3 apparently has Active Noise Cancellation in the cabin (like your Bose ANC headphones) so that alone will likely help.
I have never been inside a V3 though but my assumption is that the interior is more refined in general so I would assume it has less road noise on top of the ANC.

Go test drive one.

Reactions: Docked Wages

·
Registered
84 Posts
The V 3is somewhat quieter in the cabin and not just do the noise cancellation but because of more sound deading and chassis differences.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
V3 way quieter than a Wagon for sure, way better quality of ride + parts and no huge empty space in the back

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Funny, I never thought of the V as that loud

Reactions: Omgctsv

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
V3 way quieter than a Wagon for sure, way better quality of ride + parts and no huge empty space in the back

Ditto. We have a '12 V wagon and our son has a '19 CTS-V. The wagon is silly loud to be called a Cadillac. The V3 is way quieter than the wagon but my '17 SS with added sound deadening is quieter than the V3. (I'm not talking about exhaust, that's somewhat changeable on both cars.)

I never bothered with adding soundproofing to the wagon because it's mostly my wife's in-town commute car but I also don't think you could get a V2 wagon to be as quiet as a stock V3. If we're driving somewhere on the freeway for awhile, we take the SS. If we're driving on the freeway for more than 2 hours, we take our motorhome which is quieter, more comfortable and it has a bathroom. lol.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so it's not just me that thinks the car is loud.

A friend wants me to disassemble the interior and bring it to him for a coat of Lizard Skin to tone down the road noise. However, I lack any kind of free time to be able to do the tear down and reassemble.

While I love the car and the Air Raid howl, getting rid of the road noise is a priority since my daily commute is going to grow from 12 miles to 90 in the 4th quarter of this year. Not being able to take calls for 2 hrs a day will cost me more than the price difference to get into a V3.

·
Super Moderator
21,497 Posts
I can confirm my phone call quality went up a lot after I did the sound damping. I forgot to mention I also did the package tray.

I used a combination of butyl backed foil (about 50% coverage) and closed cell foam (tried for 100% coverage).

You could hire someone to do it. Perhaps worth the investment?

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I added sound deadener and it is really quiet inside. The only real noise is the tires above 65 mph.

inner fenders.

Did you do a spray on For the plastic fender liners?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts

A friend wants me to disassemble the interior and bring it to him for a coat of Lizard Skin to tone down the road noise. However, I lack any kind of free time to be able to do the tear down and reassemble.

While I love the car and the Air Raid howl, getting rid of the road noise is a priority since my daily commute is going to grow from 12 miles to 90 in the 4th quarter of this year. Not being able to take calls for 2 hrs a day will cost me more than the price difference to get into a V3.
90 miles each way? or round trip? Either way that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks.

I would find a new job rather than have to do that every day at this point.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
501 Posts
I talk on the phone for work in a V3 ALL the time with docs, hosp admins/C-suite, work admins/C-suite, and colleagues with no issues. And that's WITH a cat-back SW, DSI s/c lid, and worst of all, Toyo R888R tires. Shitty phone reception is a bigger issue, and I say this being in the Metro NY/NJ area, not bumfuck West Virginia. No idea why you'd need extra sound deadening in a V3.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts

Your wife was right, the V3 is way better all around. The only thing your wagon is better at is being a wagon, which is also why it's so noisy. If you just dampened the rear hatch area I think you'd see a huge difference.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I just picked up a V3 and even with the Corsa Extreme on it, it sounds quiet inside the car. Definitely night and day difference over my V2 Sedan.

But in all honesty, if you decide to get rid of the V Wagon, you'd probably get close to a V3 price.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
I just picked up a V3 and even with the Corsa Extreme on it, it sounds quiet inside the car. Definitely night and day difference over my V2 Sedan.

But in all honesty, if you decide to get rid of the V Wagon, you'd probably get close to a V3 price.
Congrats on coming back to the V world.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
501 Posts

only if it's stick.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts