Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

I got a full day in a third-gen CTS-V over Angeles Crest, and the car was so ridiculously hooked up and flipping fast that I came away astonished...but also cold. The V3 was an improvement in almost every imaginable way vs. my manual V2 wagon -- the V wagon still gets the gold medal for trunk space! -- but I no longer felt like the V3's capabilities matched my own on a mountain road. Essentially, the V3 has so much grip and power that its limits are well beyond my risk taking tolerances. I feel like I'd have to take the V3 to the track to really find its edges.

(I did a full writeup with photos of my day, too.)

Anyone else holding out on an "upgrade" to a V3 CTS-V or CT5-V Blackwing because the new cars are too damn fast for your favorite roads? As much as I want the CT5-V Blackwing, I feel like the V3 is already too fast for the road, so the Blackwing would be even more so! But maybe the Blackwing's manual transmission would give back some of that slow speed enjoyment that I cherish from the V2?

·
Premium Member
16,341 Posts
Was your Wagon modded at all or stock?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I've had two 2nd gen CTS-Vs (including a wagon) and I agree, the V3 is so much better car all around. They made so many improvements to the car and performance is just one aspect.

Awesome writeup!

Reactions: 556bhp

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was your Wagon modded at all or stock?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Stock. It doesn't feel like the fastest car in the world, but it's plenty to make the end of the straights exciting!

Angeles Crest is a blast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes! Especially during the week when the CHP isn't out!

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
I went from a V2 manual wagon to the V3, wouldn't go back. Drove my friends Z06 through the mountains last weekend, wouldn't trade for that car either.

·
Premium Member
851 Posts
Wait, I want to know more! Is it the chassis tightness, the power, or something else that has you loving the V3?
Just all around better car, it's smoother, quieter on the inside, louder on the outside, looks better, feels better, alcantara everywhere, carbon fiber everywhere, more power, more capability, more refinement, more everything except for a manual trans. I don't think there is one thing about the V2 that I wish the V3 had. I will say though that if I wasn't able to fix the sway issue I had which the V3 is known for, I would've sold it. Not sure if you experienced that or not, but once I fixed it it feels every bit as planted as the V2 did when going WOT.

What z06?? C6 C7?? Also z06 < zr1 by plenty.
C7 Z06, not a fan. It may be the same motor, but the mapping sucks, didn't apply the power smoothly at all. Ride absolutely sucked, even with the DSC suspension controller. I would equate touring mode on the Z06 to track mode on the V3. It would probably be more fun and faster on the track since it really felt more like a go cart, but on normal roads not for me. Interior was ok, not better than a V3 though. I'm sure the ZR1 is better, but that's a hefty price tag and I would for sure get lured by other things at that price point.

Reactions: 556bhp and jcs003

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi guys and gals,

I got a full day in a third-gen CTS-V over Angeles Crest, and the car was so ridiculously hooked up and flipping fast that I came away astonished...but also cold. The V3 was an improvement in almost every imaginable way vs. my manual V2 wagon -- the V wagon still gets the gold medal for trunk space! -- but I no longer felt like the V3's capabilities matched my own on a mountain road. Essentially, the V3 has so much grip and power that its limits are well beyond my risk taking tolerances. I feel like I'd have to take the V3 to the track to really find its edges.

(I did a full writeup with photos of my day, too.)

Anyone else holding out on an "upgrade" to a V3 CTS-V or CT5-V Blackwing because the new cars are too damn fast for your favorite roads? As much as I want the CT5-V Blackwing, I feel like the V3 is already too fast for the road, so the Blackwing would be even more so! But maybe the Blackwing's manual transmission would give back some of that slow speed enjoyment that I cherish from the V2?

I don't get it. Too damn fast?????????? Last I checked if I just kept my foot out of it and let the car do the work the only difference is in the potential power. My V2 was a very nice road car and a joy to drive. It reads like you are afraid to punch a 3. I get it to some degree. My Z07 goes too damn fast. I am not out to push the limits on any of these cars unless it is a straight line with no traffic. My V2 is already beyond my limits. You are flat missing the purpose of HP. It is a serious testosterone generating medical instrument. Enjoy it for what it is. Puff out your chest when you get out of it. Know that there are tons of poor slobs drooling over it and will never have a chance to own one. Beats the hell out of pills and pumps. Plus there is always some stupid slob on the freeway that thinks he can outrun you and you just ignore them because you already know you can stomp them.

Come on man.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To me.... The 2009 to 2014 Sedans were the only cars that appealed to me. It was the Bad Assed "Chiseled Look" that attracted me. Then the Rare Exterior/Interior combination couple with the Power.... I was SOLD! I had to find one VERY quickly. They are getting hard to find in Diamond Blue Tri-Coat with White Titanium guts. The interiors changed in the 3rd Gen.... not quite as nice, in my humble opinion. . Stay well!

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love driving my 2014 M6 V-wagon, but I was able to take a V3 on the track at Daytona. It was truly better in every way performance wise, but I was not inspired by the V3, and I missed the manual, and even though the CT5 Blackwing has one, its looks are soooo boring I can't make the leap. In 2019-2020 I rented several C7 Z06's from Hertz while they had some, including one I used for a track day. I hate Vettes for everyday and would rather have the V3 if I wanted an auto. The Vettes were uncomfortable and even my wife liked our 2014 V2 manual wagon better. The only problem is that it is 1 of 2 in purple with sunroof (as well as Recaros, etc.) so its worth too much to drive, especially if I have to park it somewhere, so I rarely use it. I have a 2005 GTO manual which is almost as much fun to drive as the CTS, so even though I have a 2007 TBSS for my daily, last year I put over 20,000 miles on the GTO (Only 2k on the CTS wagon). I did finally find a car I liked better though. I had one of the Hertz Hendrick Calloway ZL1 Camaros and it was so much faster than the V3, I couldn't believe it. I remember talking to Andy Pilgrim in 2013 and back then we thought anything over 500hp on the street was a waste with street tires, but the 750hp Calloway was a pure beast and it used all the ponies. The Calloway ZL1 almost scared me it was so fast, and I can order one with a manual, which even I know is slower, is so much more fun. And it was very comfortable compared to the Vette, almost like the CTS I have. I am hoping the latest news that the newer 668hp LT4 is also going in the 2023/2024 ZL1 for its final year or two. Can't wait to see what Calloway does with that. I see my 3rd toy car coming soon. Order form please........

1 - 20 of 22 Posts