Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up everyone!

With the V2 platform becoming more and more affordable, and higher millage cars popping up left and right. Maybe it's time for someone to open a diff up and go through correct bearings and seals and such for a rebuild.

From my understanding the actual ring and pinion is a non serviceable item. Therefor those who are finding "chunks" in their diff fluid this unfortunately might not be for you.

A few things that need to be considered.

- Who's diff is going under the knife?
- Which shop would everyone like to use?
- What outcome would everyone like to see?

I'm fully willing to fund the R&D for the service, shipping might suck so finding a unsable diff in an area that has a good reputable shop might be key here. (Any vendors feel free to chime in, ill pay for parts and you can sell the rebuild kit as well.)

Any other input? I'm open to all suggestions, for those who regularly race their cars. $100-200 or so every season for new bearings and seals and clutch packs might be the key to an affordable season.

·
Registered
830 Posts
A GM tech already found the correct bearings and serviced the diff himself. It's probably the most common source of whining, so replacing the entire diff is not necessary when that's the case.
SKF 32010 - V2 differential side bearing

Reactions: 1quickcoupe

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
What about pinion bearing and seals?

Reactions: 1quickcoupe

·
Registered
830 Posts
Someone else will have to hop on that one, although I'm pretty sure people have already found replacement seals.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Karch, my searchfu doesn't work very well apparently. I remember seeing the thread with the bearing sizes etc but I went to look for it a few weeks ago and could not find it. It really should be a sticky.

Hopefully the aftermarket/replacements are better. I got my diff replaced a week ago and it's already making noise again. I have been babying it too so I have no idea what is up. No trips over 25 miles either as I've just been driving it to work and back home.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Our local tranny shop wanted to fix my differential but said they couldn't guarantee that they'd be able to find the correct bearings and that there were no known rebuild kits. I see, from reading above, that someone already determined the correct bearing. The cost that I was quoted IF they could do a rebuild was $2.3k whereas a new replacement at a Cadillac dealer is $3.3k. So, I have one on order at the dealership. They don't even try to rebuild the differentials and I told them I wanted my old one back. I'm going to take it to my local tranny shop and give it to them to play with. If they are able to rebuild it, I'll post results and their contact information in case someone wants to buy it after rebuild. I live near St. Louis.

·
Registered
155 Posts
3.3k for a diff? I am assuming they are quoting some outrageous amount of hours to replace it because the diffs are about $1700.

·
Registered
302 Posts
3.3k for a diff? I am assuming they are quoting some outrageous amount of hours to replace it because the diffs are about $1700.

$2300 retail (from the dealership) is what I was quoted plus 7.5 hours labor. The $1700 rear diffs are internet unicorns, they can not be found. I got one for $1950 delivered and it was the best deal I could find. It arrived damaged, but what the hell. LOL

·
Registered
191 Posts
How hard is this bearing to replace ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
How hard is this bearing to replace ?
About the same as any other pressed on bearing... either press it off or cut the cage off with a wiz wheel and cut through the center section and pry it off... I am about to send my bad diff to my brother to rebuild at Outlaws Rod & Custom in Norfolk, VA...

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
About the same as any other pressed on bearing... either press it off or cut the cage off with a wiz wheel and cut through the center section and pry it off... I am about to send my bad diff to my brother to rebuild at Outlaws Rod & Custom in Norfolk, VA...
I'd be curious if they can actually rebuild it. I have 2 broken ones that need a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
12,906 Posts
gmpartsdirect shows it as $1760 or am I not looking up the right thing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went down to visit him a few weeks ago and forgot the bad diff in the garage!!!! I will be going back down soon to have him respray my calipers, so I will take it then...
Did you ever get your diff rebuilt there? I live in Hampton and would take my spare tothere in a heartbeat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts