Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been extremely pleased with these wheels - they are extremely light (22lbs) and strong and they look damn good. I went with a square setup so I can do a true 4 tire rotation which doubles your tread warranty compared to a staggered setup.

Lightweight wheels are one of the best performance upgrades for any car as they improve every metric while extending brake and suspension component life as well. Just got 18.3mpgs on a 1200 mile trip averaging 84mph, FWIW. That actually is better than our old V70R which was well into boost at that speed and would get about 16.5 with that sort of average.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you put 255's on the rear?
Yep, square setup doubles the mileage warranty because you can do a full rotation.

The compound on modern Pilot Sports (and most other UHP summers) is more than enough to make up for the slightly reduced tire size.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I also run a square setup, so I get where you're coming from....but going down a full inch in width on a 4200 lbs car has me scratching my head. 19x8.5 would be a good winter setup, but with 255 square, your grip is going to suffer, even with a good tire. If all you do is cruise around, I suppose it's not a huge deal.

·
Premium Member
12,355 Posts
using words like tire life and warranty you might as well be speaking Chinese to me lol
everyone wants the meatiest tires they can fit under there for traction

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also run a square setup, so I get where you're coming from....but going down a full inch in width on a 4200 lbs car has me scratching my head. 19x8.5 would be a good winter setup, but with 255 square, your grip is going to suffer, even with a good tire. If all you do is cruise around, I suppose it's not a huge deal.
Our Exige is my track/autocross car. A lot of people want to get as wide as possible on the Exige rear as well, but lots of track miles have shown that too much tire is actually detrimental because they're tough to get hot enough to perform properly. I get that the Exige is about 40% the weight of the V wagon so that lesson doesn't necessarily translate, but the lesson that "more =/= better" will translate to some degree. This car will get some track/autocross time, but I can already tell you that the Exige is more fun on either course.

The Pilot Sport 4s in a 255 has a tread width of 8.9 or 9 inches, depending on the site. A 285 in that same tire has 10 inches of tread width. Most competitors 285 are between 9.8 and 10.1 inches in tread width. Bottom line is that I gave up an inch of rear tread width which I think is trivial given the improvement in tires over the day the car was engineered with a specific level of tire traction in mind, and today. Would I have more traction with a wider rear? No question. Is it enough to matter? I doubt it. Stated another way, I am confident that the car has the same or more grip than what it was designed for and I think that is enough in a car that is going to be outclassed on a track by a newer V, or other high spec muscle car.

In any case, going with the 255s allowed me to buy the Ultraleggaras which are absurdly light. Light wheels are something else that Lotus owners are fanatical about because they improve every performance metric of the car from day 1 and also reduce wear on the suspension and brake components. There simply weren't many light wheels that would fit a 285.

·
Registered
760 Posts
(shrug). With 275 Conti Extreme Sports on all four corners, my car still doesn't have nearly enough grip and I will hopefully be stuffing a lot more under there next year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
using words like tire life and warranty you might as well be speaking Chinese to me lol
everyone wants the meatiest tires they can fit under there for traction
Good tires are expensive. I'd rather have the tread wear warranty and great tires, then replace good tires twice as often.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Long tread life means less traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While you're generally correct, tire manufacturers cut the tread life warranty in half when tires are staggered sizes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts