Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
So what did you do Steve? Or did I miss it?
Mine is a whole new radio system with aftermarket backup & front video cameras. The cameras are integrated right into the new Kenwood radios screen ...

Reactions: MYV

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am curious about this as well, it's been a while since this was posted. Has anybody upgraded the stock camera to a better one by now? And if yes, which one and how hard was it to swap? Thanks.
I also would like to know. The backup camera on this car is one of the worst I've seen. I know there were safety requirements for backup cameras around then, so it looks to me like they slapped the bare minimum passing requirement in there. It was also 2012, so I guess I can't expect camera tech to be all that great back then either.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just upgraded the camera in my '12 Wagon. From what I understand the camera PN is different for sedans and wagons, but here's what I did:

Since I searched for this information and couldn’t find it. I wanted to post this along to anyone tired of the crappy OEM camera. So these three pictures below consist of 3 different part numbers. The first picture is the original part that came with the car. The image quality is crap. The 2nd image is from a 2016 CTS and has much better detail and the colors are quite a bit more clear and crisp... the problem is that it doesn’t fit the housing... the third picture is of the new part I got from GM. Fits the original wagon housing and has even better color, clarity, and crispness than either of the other two cameras.

As you can see the color, clarity and crispness of the new PN for my '12 Wagon was a HUGE improvement over the original OEM camera.

Reactions: ThunderOne

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just upgraded the camera in my '12 Wagon. From what I understand the camera PN is different for sedans and wagons, but here's what I did:

Since I searched for this information and couldn’t find it. I wanted to post this along to anyone tired of the crappy OEM camera. So these three pictures below consist of 3 different part numbers. The first picture is the original part that came with the car. The image quality is crap. The 2nd image is from a 2016 CTS and has much better detail and the colors are quite a bit more clear and crisp... the problem is that it doesn’t fit the housing... the third picture is of the new part I got from GM. Fits the original wagon housing and has even better color, clarity, and crispness than either of the other two cameras.
View attachment 149464

View attachment 149465

View attachment 149467

As you can see the color, clarity and crispness of the new PN for my '12 Wagon was a HUGE improvement over the original OEM camera.
Oh you have a first gen taco too? Are you on TW? I'm same screen name over there.
Me thinks I may need to upgrade my camera to the 2016 CTS one. Was it plug and play?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Oh you have a first gen taco too? Are you on TW? I'm same screen name over there.
Me thinks I may need to upgrade my camera to the 2016 CTS one. Was it plug and play?
Yes, The chassis and drivetrain are Stock 97 Tacoma, The rear diff is from a 98 (Electric locker), front axle is a 77 F100/F150 Dana 44 shortened. This has the Original Tacoma Marlin Crawler (MC09 Serial number 001) I body swapped it for a 2004 double cab (I had kids). and now it sits in the garage most of the time. I take it out and enjoy it from time to time. I'm not on any of the forums anymore for Taco's, I was a pretty heavy contributor to Tacomaterritory back in the day (same screenname). I was the first in the country to body swap an extra cab to a double cab, but too many trolls and people being assholes to each other chased me away).

All 3 cameras physically plugged into the stock wagon harness. Mounting the cameras was a different story. I had heard that some people plugged in the V3 camera and it worked great. it would NOT fit the wagon housing. I still have the '16 camera if you want to give it a go.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yes, The chassis and drivetrain are Stock 97 Tacoma, The rear diff is from a 98 (Electric locker), front axle is a 77 F100/F150 Dana 44 shortened. This has the Original Tacoma Marlin Crawler (MC09 Serial number 001) I body swapped it for a 2004 double cab (I had kids). and now it sits in the garage most of the time. I take it out and enjoy it from time to time. I'm not on any of the forums anymore for Taco's, I was a pretty heavy contributor to Tacomaterritory back in the day (same screenname). I was the first in the country to body swap an extra cab to a double cab, but too many trolls and people being assholes to each other chased me away).

All 3 cameras physically plugged into the stock wagon harness. Mounting the cameras was a different story. I had heard that some people plugged in the V3 camera and it worked great. it would NOT fit the wagon housing. I still have the '16 camera if you want to give it a go.
I was on TTORA for a while too, not sure what happened but the forum took a nosedive sometime in 2014 or so.. then it was a ghost town. You've done a lot of work to that truck! I'm still in the process of building mine.. next mod will be putting a crawl box in. Been sitting on the shelf for a while now lol.

Hmm I might give it a try, I don't know if the camera housing would be any different than mine though. (sedan) so the 22922659 is some sort of updated camera for our generation?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I was on TTORA for a while too, not sure what happened but the forum took a nosedive sometime in 2014 or so.. then it was a ghost town. You've done a lot of work to that truck! I'm still in the process of building mine.. next mod will be putting a crawl box in. Been sitting on the shelf for a while now lol.

Hmm I might give it a try, I don't know if the camera housing would be any different than mine though. (sedan) so the 22922659 is some sort of updated camera for our generation?

View attachment 149468
It looks like there have been 2 part # supercessions and this part number also fits the sedan. For $111 it looks like a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
76 Posts

Dumb question but I'm assuming you need to remove the camera from the inside of the trunk? I haven't taken a look yet

·
Registered
85 Posts
Dumb question but I'm assuming you need to remove the camera from the inside of the trunk? I haven't taken a look yet
I did (wagon so I had to remove the interior from the hatch) I removed the chrome trim (4 bolts on the back, and two screws under the license plate lights). Removing the old camera was a bitch. And even with a pic, I was getting pissed because there is not a lot of space.

Reactions: ThunderOne
61 - 71 of 71 Posts