21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Reactions: MYV and MaxxSound

·
Registered
16 Posts
I absolutely hate the back up camera on the v's. I feel like closing your eyes and gunning it in reverse would be better than trying to reverse using the camera. The resolution is awful. I'm sure Columbus had a better back up camera on the Mayflower when he came over to America. My wife has a 2015 Mercedes C400 and for some reason the camera is never dirty, or wet and it is in 4K high definition. It only angers me to drive her car then use my car and see that horrible camera. And i have driven a 2016 xts and cts as a loner and those arent much better either. Maybe Cadillac should contact somebody else other than Atari and figure out how to make a better back up camera. Okay I think I'm done ranting. Although in the end it really is the only thing I don't like about the car.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
What's a back-up camera?

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also am very annoyed by the cameras in GM vehicles. It really pissed me off to spend $51K on a loaded up Sierra and see the back up camera quality/resolution for the first time. At least that one has the lines but the actual video quality doesn't seem any better than what was on the V's 6 years prior!?! WTF how is it possible that virtually every cell phone made at this point has a camera 10X better than the crap they're putting on $50k-$100K vehicles? My '08 G35x and my later Infiniti G37xS has amazing backup cameras compared to the trash on these cars and trucks. Get your shit together GM, how does an infiniti that is 8 years older and costs less have a camera that's night and day better!? It's an embarrassment...I would upgrade if someone has successfully done this.

·
Registered
5,646 Posts
I also am very annoyed by the cameras in GM vehicles. It really pissed me off to spend $51K on a loaded up Sierra and see the back up camera quality/resolution for the first time. At least that one has the lines but the actual video quality doesn't seem any better than what was on the V's 6 years prior!?! WTF how is it possible that virtually every cell phone made at this point has a camera 10X better than the crap they're putting on $50k-$100K vehicles? My '08 G35x and my later Infiniti G37xS has amazing backup cameras compared to the trash on these cars and trucks. Get your shit together GM, how does an infiniti that is 8 years older and costs less have a camera that's night and day better!? It's an embarrassment...I would upgrade if someone has successfully done this.
yeah but V8

I agree though, I honestly just accept GM doesnt care about anything other then the engine. That being said I am quite ok with that but a better resolution screen/camera seems like an easy upgrade they just didnt care about.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That's for sure lol. And don't get me wrong, love my new Sierra, it's a beautiful truck but there are a few little things that are just so obnoxious and the camera is one of them. I'm getting so used to it now that I don't think about it much anymore but I remember the first time I saw it. It's something that never even crossed my mind and I would have just assumed was on par with others. But the first time I went from being used to the Infiniti and then picked up the truck...I put it in reverse and said 'wtf' and just sat there looking at it for a min lol. That and the cheap ass feeling rheostat wheel for adjusting the interior light brightness. They must have some shitty dials left from 1965 their still trying to use up. But man did they do the cooled seats right in that truck, they get down right cold!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I am retrofitting a back up camera as soon as it gets here. Instead of using the junk oem one I rolled the dice on the finest oriental one money can buy. It was $20 shipped and it's integrated into the license plate light. Just swap covers and run a few wires. I will report back with how crappy it looks once I am done.

2010 Cts-v

·
Super Moderator
21,178 Posts
Is it the camera, the screen, or both that have poor resolution?

For CNC ported blowers and more, visit:
Dynamicflowconcepts.net

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Is it the camera, the screen, or both that have poor resolution?

Dynamicflowconcepts.net
I would imagine both. When playing a dvd the resolution appears acceptable to me. When looking at the backup camera it's horrible. *in the wife's SRX. I would imagine ours is the same shit resolution off the camera.

If the damned part would ever get here I will certainly post a few pictures of what the *********** camera looks like through our screens.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I have mine rigged up so that when I stick it in reverse, my sunroof opens and my drone automatically springs out, flies around and looks behind me. It sends the video feed back to my Nav. Once I stick it in drive, the drone chases me down and comes back in the sunroof and lands in the back seat. I need some slicks so that I can try to outrun it. It's a crafty little bastard.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have mine rigged up so that when I stick it in reverse, my sunroof opens and my drone automatically springs out, flies around and looks behind me. It sends the video feed back to my Nav. Once I stick it in drive, the drone chases me down and comes back in the sunroof and lands in the back seat. I need some slicks so that I can try to outrun it. It's a crafty little bastard.
YES! Excellant!

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Well the item arrived today. I will get it installed in the next few days and post up the results. You guys can judge whether or not the resolution is any better.

Reactions: miatcc

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I ordered the exact same set up, so I'm eager to see how the resolution will look with the 1/2 lines. How are you connecting it all? With the whites automotive back (WAMS) or are you using lock pick or something else?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Oh, and if it is t asking too much, can you do fairly detailed step by step instructions too? Specifically what you splice in the fuse box, where you run the wires (under the seat? Up the pillars?, etc) and where it all finally comes out and attaches in the rear of the stereo.

Or I guess after reading what I wrote, just do all of it, lol. I'll be following your lead.

·
Super Moderator
21,178 Posts
How are you guys connecting to the back of the radio?

Dynamicflowconcepts.net

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I ordered the exact same set up, so I'm eager to see how the resolution will look with the 1/2 lines. How are you connecting it all? With the whites automotive back (WAMS) or are you using lock pick or something else?
It looks great. I can only compare it to my wife's 12' SRX which looks like absolute shit.
It took me a while to find the correct one for the 2010. The 2011 lights went to a rectangle shape instead of the trapezoid shape mine was.

Oh, and if it is t asking too much, can you do fairly detailed step by step instructions too? Specifically what you splice in the fuse box, where you run the wires (under the seat? Up the pillars?, etc) and where it all finally comes out and attaches in the rear of the stereo.

Or I guess after reading what I wrote, just do all of it, lol. I'll be following your lead.
The rear of the stereo you only have to connect two wires. Connector X4 and you need pins 5 and 15.
Sorry no great detailed walk through. I simply ran the singe RCA wire from the stereo, above the glove box, underneath kick panels and underneath back seat. Then I just followed the factory routing for the wiring. For the grommet where it exits the trunk under the chrome trim I simply cut a slit in the grommet, added the extra wire and goop / taped it back up. You'll see when you get there.

The ground is self explanatory and simple. For the hot wire I need to pick up an appropriate fuse tap thing I have none for these teeny fuses our cars use. Once I pick some up tomorrow I will detail where I tied it in. I will be tying this in to a constant 12+ anytime the car is on. NO reason that I can think of not to.

Don't forget, you MUST load the proper software in your nav unit or it won't do a damned thing. I have access to pass thru pro tool and was able to subscribe to GM Tis2Web for 2 days ~$60 bucks. I coded the nav as well as updated any module on my car that wasn't with the latest software.

How are you guys connecting to the back of the radio?

Dynamicflowconcepts.net
You can find the pins, there's a part number list on a thread that I will link below.

For now I did down and dirty. I just took a twisted pair out of a cat-5. I stripped a bit, folded in half, inserted in back of the plug and taped the wire to the harness so it can't move. It contacts the pins fine. Ultimately I'm going to get some gimgrack *lockpick* or whatever because I will be adding a front camera. Once I buy said device I will cut into that harness which will eliminate my need for the pins to the radio. If I weren't adding a front camera I would definitely order the correct pins and be done with it. This is temporary.

EDIT: Here's the pins as well as enough directions to get it done.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...en-2-cts-navscreen-rear-view.html#post2871624

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...0532-ideas-about-rear-view-camera-2008-a.html

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Here's a video of it in action!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I didn't understand half the shit you said replying to me, lol. Why pin anything if it only required the RCA jack plugged it? At least that's what my instructions state. And what's the protool? Is that the tech tool that gm has? And what do you mean update the software? How? If we do t have that took you have.

@Karch - I thought you were all good to go since you did the WAMS "conversion". That's why I was doing it, because you did it and I thought it worked.

·
Super Moderator
21,178 Posts
I did the WAMS NAV unlock and once I wired it all up, it worked.

I grabbed power off the reverse light, so when I move the shifter to reverse, the lights come on, my NAV screen switches to camera, and comes up if it isn't already.

When I move out of reverse, at first my screen would go black, then lower. Now it stays on camera until it lowers, but I had to add a power on delay for that to occur.

As to the RCA cable and terminals for the radio, my local GM dealer didn't have them, so I ordered them from an electrical house (big one, but name is eluding me right now).

I ordered extras, and sell the adapter, but I don't know if I have any made up at the moment.

Again, mine is a 2010, not sure if it works just this easily on 2009.

Fwiw, my 2010 is an early build, I think it's an August 2009 build off the top of my head.

Dynamicflowconcepts.net

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
Night shot. With parking lights, with brake lights, with back up lights and with no lights.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts