Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the advantage of two piece rotors? My Gen6 Camaro has 1LE two piece rotors measuring 14.6" diameter. My V2 Coupe has one piece rotors measuring 15.1" diameter. The obvious advantage being the larger diameters to provide more braking torque.

So what does a two piece design bring to the table? Stronger? Less weight? Cheaper to make? Better serviceability?

·
Administrator
22,264 Posts
More weight, looks cool.

Larger rotors don’t add more brake torque if the calipers aren’t moved outward. They also weigh more, assuming same thickness and the rest.

Are you sure on the 15.1”? 14.6” sounds correct.

Brembo makes a 16” kit for our cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
The way the rotor blank bolts to the hat is usually a sliding connection. That allows the hat and rotor to expand individually and not constrain each other. So less deformation when they heat up.

Serviceability is usually an advantage, but nobody makes rotor blanks for the brembo 2 piece v2 rotors.
Automotive tire Tire Automotive design Rim Wheel

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice, I was thinking it had something to do with thermal expansion. Pretty much the same as floating rotors on a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
2014 CTS-V Sedan A6
1,395 Posts
IMO, single piece rotors on the V makes it look no better than an ecoboost mustang.

Reactions: m13s

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO, single piece rotors on the V makes it look no better than an ecoboost mustang.
Yah that and silver calipers.

What are those two piece rotors from? Are they for the CTS-V's or from another model? Are they 14.6". My Camaro has the Brembo 2 piece rotors, I bet they're identical.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.