Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and looking at buying a CTS V. It's a street car that I'll drive to work on nice days but it needs to be fast. I've only owned SC cars so I'm wondering if I went with a twin turbo car what if anything would I miss from the SC car? I'll probably put 3 to 5k miles on it a year since our weather here has sucked for the last few summers. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,741 Posts
None of the turbo/6L90 cars are as impressive as I'd like them to be, and I had one. I vote bad ass heads/cam/ported factory combo on flex fuel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Define "fast"...
Low 9's high 8's kind of fast. 800 to 1100 rwhp.
Most of the fastest guys pull the blower, raise compression and run a 500 shot. Are you familiar with Naws?
Ran it for 2 decades on numerous other cars but I got tired of dealing with filling bottles and finding places to get them filled so I prefer boost now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dirty South Hustla Direct port plate kit. Twin bottles with progressive controller and an Anabolic window switch.

There. All the horsepowahz

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you're realistically looking for 1000+whp, then I would feel that turbo would be the cheaper way to go. I haven't driven a Turbo V yet, but i'd imagine I'd fall in love

Reactions: Therealmccoy

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Turbos and Blowers work in very different ways, as I'm sure you know.

A supercharger makes boost as a function of RPM, a turbo makes boost as a function of engine load (because a turbo speed is a function of exhaust gas temperature and flow rate). Then there's the parasitic losses. A supercharger has to be driven off the crank, a turbo uses "waste heat" that's going out the tailpipe anyway. Superchargers can absorb a lot of engine HP. But turbos have lag and they don't make effective boost below some RPM. The low RPM boost is also a characteristic of a centrifugal blower (like the Vortech on my 02Z06). Roots/Whipple types are constant displacement pumps so they make the same boost irrespective of RPM. Turbo pressure is modulated by a wastegate in the exhaust. Supercharger pressure is modulated by a blow-off valve in the intake. So turbo installations tend to be a lot more complicated than superchargers. And turbos run *really* hot (on the turbo cars I've owned the the past, seeing the turbo glowing a little red hot after some spirited driving was not unusual).

I would argue that turbos are superior to driven superchargers like ours in terms of power output and the shape of the power curve. But they're more work to install and they can cause heat-related issues. For simplicity, nothing beats a supercharger. The Vortech I put on my Z06 pretty much just bolted on to the front of the motor. The entire install only took a day. I've put 100K miles on the motor since and other than a clutch and the belt tensioner, it's been a bullet proof installation.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Here is what I miss about the blower setup: The exhaust sound

Reactions: MeanMike

·
Vendor
12,966 Posts
If you want the ET as well as the 1000+ hp with turbo you will need to change the trans and converter setup as well as building the long block to support it. Guys have gotten into the 8's with the right setup and the PD blower though.

·
Premium Member
17,592 Posts
Low 9's high 8's kind of fast. 800 to 1100 rwhp.
So by fast, you actually mean quick. You can get there, but wheel, tire, and suspension are a big part of the mix, among other things.

If you want fast, then standing mile races are where its at and turbos are better for that.

Like Junkie said - good heads, cam, flex fuel will get you done.

·
Registered
257 Posts
What will you miss? Money in your bank account. People "prefer" the supercharger because it's already on the car and thus cheaper/easier to meet most goals. ~1000rwhp is beyond the limit of basically everything on the car so that's a big build. have fun.

·
Premium Member
17,592 Posts
I think you should be the first to try this:

Small, quick spooling turbo on Bank 1. This will solve "some" of the issues of losing the instant boost the suoercharfer provides.

Large, high volume turbo on Bank 2. This will provide more air to feed the engine at the top end.

Yep - that should do it.

The compound boost idea isnt all that bad. I'd do really big turbos that only make a little boost but need little to no intercooling. They would provide the supercharger with a constant supply of slightly pressurized air.

Then the blower is there to give you the instant throttle response. By feeding low boost air into the little 1.9L, you can get away with pushing more cfm thru a blower that might normally be on the small side because the blower works on pressure RATIO. Start out with a little pressure and you effectively increase the charge mass on the outlet side.

Duck I am sure will confirm everything I have said here. ;)

·
Registered
306 Posts
What will you miss? Money in your bank account. People "prefer" the supercharger because it's already on the car and thus cheaper/easier to meet most goals. ~1000rwhp is beyond the limit of basically everything on the car so that's a big build. have fun.
An 800rwhp blower build appears to be more expensive than going the turbo route that can get you much more if required.

For the blower you need heads/cam/ported blower/ headers/intake/upgraded heat exchanger, expensive e85 fuel system, injectors etc etc.

You can probably get to 800 on turbo kit alone (with minor supporting mods like fuel and injectors).

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So by fast, you actually mean quick. You can get there, but wheel, tire, and suspension are a big part of the mix, among other things.

If you want fast, then standing mile races are where its at and turbos are better for that.

Like Junkie said - good heads, cam, flex fuel will get you done.
I'm actually looking at several cars that are already done, some are SC and 2 others are twin turbo so a lot of the work is already done. I've never ridden in a twin turbo V so I'm not sure how it feels compared to a modded SC car. Both turbo cars are a few states away so it's not easy to go for a test ride to help me decide. I've had a SC car for a long time so I know how they hit from a dig or roll which is sometimes to much and blows the tires off. I know the 2 turbo cars don't have huge turbos on them and both have them mounted under the car next to the trans. So the cost to build ether isn't a deciding factor at this point.

·
Premium Member
17,592 Posts
I'm actually looking at several cars that are already done, some are SC and 2 others are twin turbo so a lot of the work is already done. I've never ridden in a twin turbo V so I'm not sure how it feels compared to a modded SC car. Both turbo cars are a few states away so it's not easy to go for a test ride to help me decide. I've had a SC car for a long time so I know how they hit from a dig or roll which is sometimes to much and blows the tires off. I know the 2 turbo cars don't have huge turbos on them and both have them mounted under the car next to the trans. So the cost to build ether isn't a deciding factor at this point.
A well setup car is going to be a handful no matter what. This honestly sounds more like a tire and traction issue.

SC cars will have a harder hit at lower rpms and turbo cars will have more top end. Bit for quarter mile racing, both are valid weapons.

You'll have to look around to see who has gone 8s on stock blower/cubes. Youre talking a small club here.

Running high 8s is about FAR more than the motor or type of FI used. I'm mainly saying you may be focused too much on that aspect.

Now unavowed has a TT G8 that might be a good indicator of what can be done. His setup is pretty solid. Its not a "blank check" build but he's done his homework on traction and launching and so on.

He can blow off the tires in 4th - so you gotta decide:

1) Blow off tires on the initial hit or
2) Blow them off when the turbos spool....

·
Registered
28 Posts
low 9's high 8's 800hp to 1000hp. Do you want a dyno sheet or a time slip? whats you budget? I feel like you question is to vague and not enough info. Go to the drag page and look at them times the cars run with what mods and there HP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts