Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I haven't been on here in ages! I still have the V Wagon, but the LSA Sky I built is no longer. I'm selling the powertrain from it, I figured there's a chance somebody on here might be interested. I'll copy/paste what I put in the craigslist ad...

I'm selling pretty much everything needed to build or swap an LSA/manual 6 speed trans into something. This LSA/TR6060 was bought brand new from GM about 4 years ago. It has LESS THAN 20k miles on it. It has NO internal modifications, the engine and trans are literally in perfect condition. It has a mild overdriven pulley on it, professionally ported blower, Injector Dynamics injectors and too many other aftermarket upgrades and custom built parts to list. It has a professionally tuned ECM that can run on premium pump gas or full E85, as smoothly as a new totally stock CTS-V. Dyno power was almost 700whp/700wtq on premium pump gas, it was probably at least 750/750 to the wheels on full E85.

The trans is a matching TR6060 with a MGW shifter already on it. It's has a stock CTS-V Dual Disc clutch that can handle the LSA power with no problems. I even have a carbon fiber driveshaft for it that can be modified to possibly fit your project.

The extras are... A custom built fuel cell good for at least 900hp and ethanol safe. There is over $3500 in this fuel cell alone. ALL stainless lines, dual pumps, gate valve and internal tank to make sure the pickup always has plenty of fuel, digital pump controller, filter, pressure regulator, ETHANOL SENSOR, etc. Basically you can bolt this fuel system into your project and you're done!

I also have an entire heat exchanger system, radiator, exhaust, air cleaner assembly and many other parts. You can see what this drivetrain was in and the level of quality that went into it by searching on "John's Sky Makeover" on YouTube. This entire drivetrain is ready for it's next project and would be an amazing setup.

The engine and trans alone would cost over $17k to buy right now on crate engine depot or gm performance. That doesn't even get you an ECM, clutch, shifter or all the accessory drive parts like PS pump/AC compressor/alternator. This has ALL of that stuff and it's already built and proven to be dependable. This even comes with the wiring harnesses from the ECM to the engine/trans/accessories/etc. To duplicate this setup would cost well over TWICE what I'm asking for, which is $13,700. There are a ton of other things I could list that this setup has, feel free to email me if you want more info.

BTW, the engine/trans is located in California (SF Bay Area). I travel around the country and could possibly deliver all of it most anywhere if the situation worked for both parties.

THANKS!
John

(If you'll notice, I did include that delivery IS available, obviously depending on distance and details.)

I'm not sure if my video of the car this came out of is still in my signature on here, if not, search YouTube for "John's Sky Makeover".

Here's the craigslist link... craigslist ad for LSA/TR6060...

·
Super Moderator
17,084 Posts
Welcome back John, what’s new?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
Great to see you back on the board - if even for a brief moment!

That was a sweet ride you had and John was meticulous in his build. I'm pretty sure there is a build thread here somewhere... amazing stuff.

GLWS!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
What did you do with the Sky? I was on the Kappa forum as well when you were building it and was more than impressed with your skills. I learned a lot from your posts and had a blast in that little car.

Good luck with the sale!

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
hopefully nothing bad happened to the sky, otherwise I think if you had submitted it to BAT it might have done pretty good

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! Yeah, I recognize all of your screen names.

Of all the forums I've been on and been kicked off of (lol), this forum has ALWAYS been my favorite. It always seemed interesting to me that the demographics on here ended up being some of the smartest, funniest, most laid back and respectful, unruly and degenerate people around! Not too many other cars have attracted the kind of people that the V's have. You guys were all a pretty good bunch, that's for sure! My son, who spent time on the GTO forum when he owned one, was wondering if this V forum has gotten to the "FPFQ" point yet?! He's looking for a new toy and he noticed the price of Gen 2 V sedans are really low now. Has that been bringing a new crowd on the forum here?

We still have the V Wagon and I also still have my '17 Chevy SS M6. The LSA Sky is no longer a part of this world, but I loved EVERY minute of my time with it. From the day I bought it to the day it left, it was ALL a positive experience. But it's an era that I'm through with. I have ZERO regrets, it was all good. My son even sold the Sky Redline he had, bought a C7 Z51, sold that, bought a '17 Chevy Colorado, sold that, bought a new Chevy Bolt and is now either going to buy a C6 ZR1 or the C8 he's on a list for.

One of these days I'll make another video like that Sky build one, but about my latest project. We bought a brand new 2018 28' Thor Vegas motorhome, drove it home and then I basically took the entire thing apart inside and out and rebuilt it. haha. I even tuned and put long tubes on the Ford V10 in it. We absolutely love it now, it does everything I've ever wanted an RV to do for us. It's barely 2 years old and it's got 25k miles on it already!

Thanks again guys, nice to see the gang is still here.
John

·
Super Moderator
17,084 Posts
FPFQ has occurred but with the core that still exists it’s still pretty good here. The forum owner somewhat sucks and is currently all about the $$$ and traffic. But for a 10 year old mature platform its decent.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks guys! Yeah, I recognize all of your screen names.

Of all the forums I've been on and been kicked off of (lol), this forum has ALWAYS been my favorite. It always seemed interesting to me that the demographics on here ended up being some of the smartest, funniest, most laid back and respectful, unruly and degenerate people around! Not too many other cars have attracted the kind of people that the V's have. You guys were all a pretty good bunch, that's for sure! My son, who spent time on the GTO forum when he owned one, was wondering if this V forum has gotten to the "FPFQ" point yet?! He's looking for a new toy and he noticed the price of Gen 2 V sedans are really low now. Has that been bringing a new crowd on the forum here?

We still have the V Wagon and I also still have my '17 Chevy SS M6. The LSA Sky is no longer a part of this world, but I loved EVERY minute of my time with it. From the day I bought it to the day it left, it was ALL a positive experience. But it's an era that I'm through with. I have ZERO regrets, it was all good. My son even sold the Sky Redline he had, bought a C7 Z51, sold that, bought a '17 Chevy Colorado, sold that, bought a new Chevy Bolt and is now either going to buy a C6 ZR1 or the C8 he's on a list for.

One of these days I'll make another video like that Sky build one, but about my latest project. We bought a brand new 2018 28' Thor Vegas motorhome, drove it home and then I basically took the entire thing apart inside and out and rebuilt it. haha. I even tuned and put long tubes on the Ford V10 in it. We absolutely love it now, it does everything I've ever wanted an RV to do for us. It's barely 2 years old and it's got 25k miles on it already!

Thanks again guys, nice to see the gang is still here.
John
That is cool you have new passion projects.
Does this mean the Sky was crashed? That was a super cool car for sure and this drivetrain is a screaming deal!
If you weren't so far (im in ATL) I might have to buy this just to find something to put it in.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is cool you have new passion projects.
Does this mean the Sky was crashed? That was a super cool car for sure and this drivetrain is a screaming deal!
If you weren't so far (im in ATL) I might have to buy this just to find something to put it in.
This is a story that I've never told online anywhere... I trust you guys and I believe you'll all understand and deserve to know.

I had a little self-inflicted booboo in the Sky, it was totally fixable but a few feet one way or another and it easily could have killed me. Instead I walked away without a scratch (in every way). The minute the car stopped afterwards, the message was loud and clear and from my dad actually, who died 10 years ago. The message was that I had my fun, but if I continued to drive that car like I had been, something very bad was going to happen. I've had enough dead people "talk" to me that I truly believe in messages like that and I had no problem appreciating and heeding the warning.

I took every single piece of that car back apart, sold most of it and destroyed the rest. The money I made from selling the parts and what the insurance company gave me was pretty much the same as it took to do the entire LSA build! (Let's just say I paid cash for the brand new '17 SS I bought afterwards. lol.) I really wanted to do something with the LSA drivetrain, but none of the ideas really make sense for me right now. One of them was to drop it into the SS, but that doesn't really make sense either. So I've decided to sell the last piece of the LSA Sky, the drivetrain.

Like I said above, every single moment of that Sky experience was a positive. Building the ~500hp LNF in it opened the doors to tuning for professional race teams. I met hundreds of people and ended up knowing more about LNF's and Kappa's than most anyone in the country. Even after pushing that little 4 banger to it's limit and bending all the rods, I rebuilt that engine, got a ton of money for it and it ran in a Pirelli World Challenge car at the Long Beach Gran Prix.

Then there was all the LSA experiences and more people to meet. Building that car was in many ways the culmination of all of my learning, experiences and talents. It was an amazing experience and I will never regret it. I still get comments and new subscribers all the time on that Sky Makeover video. That car was wicked fast. After getting used to driving the Sky, driving the V wagon was slow and boring. lol. I never dyno'd it on full E85, but I would think it easily would have been over 750whp/750wtq. Everyone always commented saying it probably doesn't have any traction at all. The opposite was always the truth. That thing hooked up! I had professional race car drivers tell me it was the fastest car they'd ever driven or been in. It also handled like a slot car and stopped on a dime. The car was truly amazing in that it did EVERYTHING well. It was so smooth and quiet to drive that I could put anyone behind the wheel and they had no problem driving it safely. And it wasn't just fast, it had all those electronics- the onboard computer, cameras, giant amps and speakers, keyless ignition and entry, etc. Like I said, it was everything I learned how to do with a car.

But yes, it's gone. lol. Like my brother so perfectly said about it... "The car is gone, but you'll never lose the experniences it gave you". And anyway, IT WAS JUST A CAR! I'm alive, my family is alive, and I didn't end up killing somebody by simply taking them for a drive in it. (The Paul Walker crash/death was still fresh in my mind when it happened.) It's all good, life is too short to worry about the small stuff. And no matter how amazing ANY car is, it's still just a car. Life itself is far more amazing.

Thanks for asking about what happened to it, I appreciate the interest. You guys can feel honored, very few have actually heard this story. It's not that it's a huge secret, it's just that most people wouldn't understand the whole picture.

·
Super Moderator
17,084 Posts
Damn, I respect your journey.

Reactions: NTX-V

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Amen to that brother!

·
Premium Member
4,303 Posts
Hey John,
Glad to see you here in one piece. I'm interested in the package, but I'm about as far on the other side of the country as you can get. I dropped you a pm.

·
Premium Member
15,215 Posts
Hey John,
Glad to see you here in one piece. I'm interested in the package, but I'm about as far on the other side of the country as you can get. I dropped you a pm.
If he crates it, Fastenal can ship store to store for like $250. They have forklifts at each store to load and unload.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Your YouTube video was the highlight of my day! Thanks for putting it together, for sharing the experience, and for the most awesome video clips at the end.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
If he crates it, Fastenal can ship store to store for like $250. They have forklifts at each store to load and unload.

i got a jeep tailgate from Arizona last year shipped by fasenal for dirt cheap.......it went to the wrong fastenal store but still was very reasonable. You just cant really be in a rush for it but I dont think thats a problem in this case

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do you have the link for the Sky build?
I was mentioning this drivetrain to a friend and he said his buddy has a Sky

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh, it does. It certainly does.
Hahahaha. I would expect nothing less from you guys! Believe me, I've been tempted. I did a cam in the SS and it's been running pretty strong on E85 for a couple years so I really shouldn't try to make it into something it isn't. My tentative plan is to keep the SS and the V as they are for a few more years and then sell them to buy a new all electric Caddy. If they do them right, it will be an amazing car(s) that should also be plenty fast.

You guys are all awesome as usual! Thanks for the replies. As far as shipping, our daughter, her husband and our grandson (yikes) live in New York. We drive our new motorhome out there once or twice a year. The last trip to see her I made $1700 by putting a sailboat on the roof of the RV and delivering it to Cape Cod! I have a rack on the back that I haul my dirtbikes on, I built it to carry 800-1,000lbs. I could easily carry that engine, trans and all the other parts anywhere in the country if the situation made sense.

I'm not in a huge hurry to sell this stuff, I realize it might take awhile to find the right person for something like this. But the right person will be thrilled at what they get when they do finally come along. If somebody wanted to build a restomod, street rod or some kind of kit car, they'd have literally 90% of what they'd need in an entire powertrain. My son's idea for it is when my wife is done driving the V wagon, we gut it, cage it, put that engine and trans in it and make a 4 seated drift wagon! Two seats in front and two seats facing backwards in back! But does it make sense to gut a perfectly good wagon? Probably not. lol. But then again, did buying a 556hp station wagon for my wife's commute car make sense when we bought it? lol.

This is my Yamahauler btw...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have the link for the Sky build?
I was mentioning this drivetrain to a friend and he said his buddy has a Sky

Here it is...

Sky V8 swap video...

Obviously all these parts would be amazing for somebody that wants to also do a V8 swap in a Sky or Solstice, but I try to stay away from that crowd! Most of them just want to have hood murals done of Marilyn Monroe, Elvis or the 3 Stooges. (I'm not kidding) I do have most everything from a custom radiator to an entire exhaust system for a Kappa V8 swap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts