Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been running the TRZ Motorsports rear control arms for the last 10 events.

During my post event inspection from Buttonwillow in October I discovered that the driver side arm was about to break where it attachs to the rear upright.

I pulled it out and here it is.

These only have 10 Time Trial events on them, and I was laps away from a catastrophic failure.

The other side had cracks forming in the same places as well.

I contacted them about this, and the response was "the are designed for drag racing only". No offer of refund or replacement. I did speak to them on the phone when I purchased them and I wasn't dissuaded from purchasing them for my purpose.

If any of you are running these arms on a street car with big horsepower, I would seriously think about pulling them out. They just aren't strong enough for any use in my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,220 Posts
That's bullshit on so many levels

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
395 Posts
That's brutal

·
Vendor
13,521 Posts
While it sucks that happened I would agree that parts TRZ makes are designed and tested for drag use and not meant for a road course. Kinda like putting drag brakes on a car that is set up for auto x or running Weld Alumastars on the street. There are compromises in design that effect uses other then intended.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So you'd rip 1000 hp through these at 160+mph and think this is acceptable wear and tear?

I don't think you should ever compromise on design when it comes to suspension components.

Am I disappointed that these didn't work, sure.

Am I grateful I prevented myself from having a completed disaster, absolutely.

I just wanted to make sure that anyone running them on the street was aware of their inherent limitations.

Reactions: Karch and loweredd

·
Vendor
13,521 Posts
So you'd rip 1000 hp through these at 160+mph and think this is acceptable wear and tear?

I don't think you should ever compromise on design when it comes to suspension components.

Am I disappointed that these didn't work, sure.

Am I grateful I prevented myself from having a completed disaster, absolutely.

I just wanted to make sure that anyone running them on the street was aware of their inherent limitations.

I didn’t say any of that. I said they probably had no testing beyond a drag strip. I have no skin in the game here.

Had a customer buy and install a Chromoly K member a couple years back meant for strip use only and crack it with street use. The type of loads and shock seen on a road course or street is not the same as what is seen on a perfect drag strip. The lines between street and race are a bit more burred these days.

·
Registered
2011 Black Wagon
412 Posts
Looks to me that this could be addressed with a design change. Have you had a civil conversation with their manager? Obviously they are dedicated to designing and producing products for a niche market, so maybe reach out to them and ask if they would work with you on a design revision. At first glance that just looks like a typical laser cut-press brake formed mild steel part. Maybe they could look into using Chromoly or hardened steel with like a bronze bushing installed. Who knows, depending on how you handle it you might even get some free stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
Looks to me that this could be addressed with a design change. Have you had a civil conversation with their manager? Obviously they are dedicated to designing and producing products for a niche market, so maybe reach out to them and ask if they would work with you on a design revision. At first glance that just looks like a typical laser cut-press brake formed mild steel part. Maybe they could look into using Chromoly or hardened steel with like a bronze bushing installed. Who knows, depending on how you handle it you might even get some free stuff?

Knowing the OP, he’s not into getting free stuff, he wants good stuff.

·
Registered
2011 Black Wagon
412 Posts
That’s cool. I guess he should sharpen his pencil and come up with a better design? They are halfway there with the drag race stuff. See if they are willing to go the extra mile with a redesign for the track guys.

·
Administrator
22,258 Posts
That’s cool. I guess he should sharpen his pencil and come up with a better design? They are halfway there with the drag race stuff. See if they are willing to go the extra mile with a redesign for the track guys.

I think the company’s response would all I need to know…stay away and hope they go out of business with that sort of attitude.

·
Premium Member
2011 CTS-V Coupe with a blue wrap. Cam, smaller pulley, larger injectors, methanol injection.
618 Posts
Are the stock suspension components bad to break or tear up? I only ask because my 2011 sometimes feels like it's unstable. It could be the r888's on it. I'm not sure because I've only owned it for 9 months and I had those tires put on immediately. It's like it drifts from side to side sometimes. This is at normal highway cruising around 80.

·
Registered
2011 Black Wagon
412 Posts
I had the same thing but when dealer was replacing diff, noticed upper sway bar nut loose. Feels great now-hooks straight. You could start there…

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So I've been running the TRZ Motorsports rear control arms for the last 10 events.

During my post event inspection from Buttonwillow in October I discovered that the driver side arm was about to break where it attachs to the rear upright.

I pulled it out and here it is.

These only have 10 Time Trial events on them, and I was laps away from a catastrophic failure.

The other side had cracks forming in the same places as well.

I contacted them about this, and the response was "the are designed for drag racing only". No offer of refund or replacement. I did speak to them on the phone when I purchased them and I wasn't dissuaded from purchasing them for my purpose.

If any of you are running these arms on a street car with big horsepower, I would seriously think about pulling them out. They just aren't strong enough for any use in my opinion.

What was the original convo like? You stated that your a road course guy and weren't talked out of them at the time of purchase? as they sell parts for drag racing ? Either way the response is a shitty one and I'm surprised that they would not want to at least talk to you about your application and the use of your product.

Plenty of people just happy to sell and go and I'm glad you didn't end up in a wall at speed.

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What was the original convo like? You stated that your a road course guy and weren't talked out of them at the time of purchase? as they sell parts for drag racing ? Either way the response is a shitty one and I'm surprised that they would not want to at least talk to you about your application and the use of your product.

Plenty of people just happy to sell and go and I'm glad you didn't end up in a wall at speed.
I did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.