Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
8s are the new 9s
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
87AFF500-B618-48F0-986D-8BE01C5ABE34.jpg
That’s my IAT2 at the finish line with a ZL1 lid, trunk ice tank with 20# of ice (two 10# bags), EMP pump and Jokerz ported blower with 10/2.45 pulley combo. All -12AN lines to and from the tank. The trunk tank was one of the best mods I’ve done for the dragstrip.
A single EMP pump in the trunk is all that is needed. Mine is routed tank>lid>HX>tank.
I have a 10” lid from a boat supply for the tank that makes loading ice easy.

·
8s are the new 9s
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
8s are the new 9s
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am using a single 10gph nozzle in the intake at this point.

·
Premium Member
14,368 Posts
I think Tesla TriTexan made a comment about the thermal energy of phase changing (ie ice melting) - this shows it's benefit.

Since I don't use ice on my daily driver, we have completely opposite results for totally different reasons. :D

Drag race? Get a big ass tank and a cooler full of ice!

Daily driver with little to no icing? Don't bother.

Thanks for posting- that's a great IAT2. I'm tempted to try an interchiller for the DD...

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
341 Posts
What was the ambient temperature?

·
Registered
381 Posts
From A.hobbs-
Feb in TX 1000DA with a Interchiller 105* IAT2 at the end of a [email protected] pass hot-lapped, they made him hotlap on the last run 2min break. NO ICE, NO methanol, Trunk tank, ZL1 Lid, staged @ 55* IAT2. There was a Demon that did 10.2 best.

·
Registered
125 Posts
The consensus seems to be that a trunk tank packed with ice works very well for the strip.

Besides not pulling timing at 140*, are there any other advantages to getting IAT2's that low? Does the cooler intake charge significantly boost HP and torque? If so, how much?

·
Premium Member
6,934 Posts
The consensus seems to be that a trunk tank packed with ice works very well for the strip.

Besides not pulling timing at 140*, are there any other advantages to getting IAT2's that low? Does the cooler intake charge significantly boost HP and torque? If so, how much?
A lot of folks will run a bit more timing if temps stay under 100*. Cooler is always better in this aspect.

·
8s are the new 9s
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cooler intake air is more dense therefore more oxygen and therefore more power.

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Cooler intake air is more dense therefore more oxygen and therefore more power.
Well, generally this is true, there are some aspects here that needs to be considered.

You are cooling the charge post rotors, so the air you are cooling is relatively self contained.

Think of it as an instantaneous fixed volume, and you are lowering the temp, therefore the pressure, but the number of air molecules remain constant.

Lowering temps does help, though, as it allows for more timing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
381 Posts
Well, generally this is true, there are some aspects here that needs to be considered.

You are cooling the charge post rotors, so the air you are cooling is relatively self contained.

Think of it as an instantaneous fixed volume, and you are lowering the temp, therefore the pressure, but the number of air molecules remain constant.

Lowering temps does help, though, as it allows for more timing.
You lost me at instantaneous fixed volume LOL. Seriously I agree, what about a Chiller with Xternal pre TB W2A intercooler does that volume thing still apply?

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
If you can drop the temps entering the intake, it should help.

·
Premium Member
14,368 Posts
You lost me at instantaneous fixed volume LOL. Seriously I agree, what about a Chiller with Xternal pre TB W2A intercooler does that volume thing still apply?
No, it would not.

The air density "pre-rotor" would be most advantageous to cool - as that would condense the air (and increase potential air mass charge) as the rotor pack would have more "stuff" to push into the cylinder head per unit of time - such as a combustion event.

Once the rotors have pushed the air through (ie post-rotor), you're effectively limited to the air present inside the runners and head - so having a great intercooler lowers the IAT2 but cannot add more oxygen because its essentially a closed system at that point.

That is why we notice such a huge difference driving in fall temperatures but NOT when artificially creating low IAT2. Other than detonation resistance as Karch mentioned.

So in a way, the interchiller is a renewable octane booster.

Or just go E85.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,536 Posts
Reducing airflow isn’t a good thing. Ultimately comes down to most air molecules in the engine, then get the most out of them.

·
8s are the new 9s
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Y’all are cracking me up.
The colder the air coming out of the intercooler brick the denser it is: PV=nRT.
While the cooler intake charge can allow for more timing at the very beginning of the run, as rpm increases colder air coming out of the intercooler brick allows more oxygen to enter the chamber with each combustion cycle. If you can carry power higher into the rpm range, your shift extensions carry farther and you’ll go faster.
Ethanol is the fuel of the gods for boosted applications, blower or turbo.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts