Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out if my trunk struts are working as they should or only half ways...

I tested both of them by compressing them with my hand.. both took a good amount of effort to collapse and both expanded instantly....

they hold the trunk open no problem.. But when closing lid if it slips out of our hands it will fall like a rock and slam shut with its full weight ..

So my question is are the struts intended as a "hold open only" or are they supposed to help in catching lid on the way down for a soft close as well

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Mine are 10yo now. They need an assist to initially open, but when near the closing stage, I can let it drop the last 3" and it will shut on its own. They still hold the trunk open without issue, so not caring to replace them.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine are 10yo now. They need an assist to initially open, but when near the closing stage, I can let it drop the last 3" and it will shut on its own. They still hold the trunk open without issue, so not caring to replace them.
Yeah mine are 10 years old also.. they still assist in the opening and holding open phase.. just closing is scary with a who knows how many lb's lid slamming shut..

·
Premium Member
14,561 Posts
We're all getting older...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
We're all getting older...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Speak for yourself....my heart still maintains the pressure. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
They may be designed to internally valve off the pressure at near full compression, so you don’t have to lean on it to close the lid, or the linkage goes over center at the end stroke, also for the same reason...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts