Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at picking up 2016 F150 V8 5.0 Lariat w/platinum bits or 2015/16 GM V8 6.2 Denali. I am reviewing supercharging options for each and am curious on the durability with the power adders. I am leaning towards the F150 based on outward looks and interior but I am definitely more familiar and comfortable with the GM LS engine mods and like the larger displacement. Thoughts?

·
Registered
686 Posts
The 5.0’s that come in the trucks are internally the same as the mustangs aside from camshaft IIRC, that being said, expect 650-700hp to hold up reliably like an oem motor. Make sure to upgrade the oil pump gears and let her eat lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
784 Posts
As a big Ford guy, know a few who have a 5.0 with a Whipple and very happy. I'm on my 6th Ford truck (4 super duty's, two F150's), hard to argue the quality and capability. If I get to the point where I can step down to a half ton truck, this is exactly the way I would go.

11 second truck FTW!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I can't speak to the new Ford stuff but I had an older Ford 3v/5.4 Whipple combo (75K) that never had any issues @11psi on 91, tuned by JDM. The 4WD launches were very addicting.

The responsiveness compared to my Duramax is not even comparable with a twin screw.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For a daily driver, I'm wondering if a roots style would be better than a centrifugal.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now just to go on some test drives. If the 5.0 feels underpowered in any way, then a blower will be mandatory. I'm wondering how the LT1 feels in a truck. If enough then I would consider leaving it. But I have a low threshold for mods. The disease is progressive.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's what I am afraid of. It seems that the power under the curve is improved significantly. But always hoping for more...

·
Vendor
12,965 Posts
For a daily driver, I'm wondering if a roots style would be better than a centrifugal.
An Eaton based blower will be more reliable with a longer service life then any other blower on the market. If it can meet your goals power wise its a no brainer for a DD. My daily is a 15 Sierra with a TVS blower on it.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Matt, did you pulley it down or do anything else to it?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
A well designed engine doesn't care about boost. Witness my long-ago stock 1985 SVO Mustang that ran 18 Pounds on what was basically Ford's cast-iron 2.3L Pinto motor.

And I put a Vortech blower on my 02Z06 and the engine is still running great at about 120K miles (100K with the blower), but at only 6 Pounds (but still good for about +150HP) compared to the Mustang's 18.

Prevailing wisdom says that if the motor isn't known for high rates of failure and you don't go nuts on boost (without doing internals) you should be good to go.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
503 Posts
Being a shop that does plenty of work on all of the above 5.0 Coyote G.M. LS and Ecoboost is our wheelhouse you can't go wrong with any of these platforms.

A Whipple on a 5.0 or LS creates ton's of horsepower and torque reliably and safe to tow. As mentioned by Det_Riot on a 5.0 upgraded oil pump gears and a crank gear for the timing chains are mandatory. When you start making power these will not hold up and they will fail.

The 3.5 and 2.7 Ecoboost are great trucks they have great towing capability and with a tune they are night and day.

Hope this helps good luck with your new tow vehicle purchase and keep us in mind.
-

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks LM. I want the V8 sound and manners when not in boost so I would be hard pressed to entertain a V6.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts