Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I took the leap and lowered my 2010 V on D3 Comp Springs and sway bars. All seemed fine until about 2 months ago when pulling out of the garage at work my lower control arms slipped and blew my alignment. I towed the car to my alignment shop and had it re-aligned. Since then I have been to the dealer twice and back to the alignment shop once complaining about the front of the car tending to wonder/tramline. On my most recent trip I had the driver’s side rear spring adjusted (it was not seated in the lower control arm) and was hopeful that I had put the issue to bed once and for all. Well, unfortunately that is not the case. The front of the car still seems loose when traveling over uneven pavement – almost like the front passenger side wheel is moving completely independent of the rest of the car. The movement is subtle but it is definitely there and driving me nuts. In addition to the alignment and spring issue I had the alignment shop run through all the front and rear connections to make sure there was nothing loose/broken. I’m down to the wear bars on my PS2s (front and rear) but have a hard time believing the issue is related to the tires. Has anyone else experienced something similar? Could it be the tires?

Car is basically a stock Manual 2010 V with 21k
D3 Springs & Swaybars
Airaid
Diff replaced at 18k
New SC (via recall) at 20k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What does that mean when you say your control arms slipped?
Didn't see it first hand but was told that one of bolts used to set the alignment was not tightened to spec and caused the control arm to slip - throwing the alignment.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Yeah. I've owned my 02 Z06 since new. Round about the 3rd year of ownership I upgraded the stock rubber and wheels to run 315/30-18s and 283/30-18s. About a year later I noticed the car was tramlining. The more I noticed, the worse it seemed to get. I figured a lot had to do with the much wider rubber I had on the car. But it was really starting to piss me off, and I figured I needed to do suspension bushings, and that I'd do that before I bought new tires. So I ran the tires a lot longer than I would usually have done while I dithered over what kind of bushing to do. I ran them well into the 15K mile range, when I usually burn a set off in 10K or so. But I never got around to doing the bushings. Eventually I had to get the car inspected (MA) and bought new tires since the ones on the car were nearly bald at this point. The tramlining went away. I drive the car a lot less than I used to now a-days, but once again I was fooled. Took the car out this spring on tires that should have been replaced last summer, tramlining was awful (and I'd only been driving the V for the last 6 months so I was used to much better behavior and it really stood out like "wow, if I let go of the steering wheel I'm going to be in the next lane in a heartbeat"). The car has 110K of pretty hard driving on it, so it's due for shocks and bushings and ball joints probably, so I was thinking I should either finally just do those things or sell the car. But instead I put new tires on it. Viola, no more tramlining. I should just learn my lesson and replace the tires when the wandering starts to bother me...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I'm still on original PS2 rubber and I am hoping it is something as simple as tires. The thing that keeps me up at night is that all of this seems to have started when my alignment shifted and it is getting progressively more noticeable - to the point where this morning I had a death grip on the steering wheel in anticipation of a front wheel coming off in traffic. I must say that is much more noticeable at low speeds (under 60) and w/in the city where uneven payment, steel plates and man-hole covers are in abundance.

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
What does that mean when you say your control arms slipped?
I had the same thing happen to me after an alignment: basically the bolt in the lower front control arm will "slip" in the notch, throwing off one front wheel - in my case the steering wheel was ~30* off from center driving down the interstate due to the change in geometry.

They just have to tighten the bolt more. It seems a lot of places tighten them by hand to reduce the risk of shearing them off, contributing to this. The Tire Discounters I went to knew of several V's having the same issues (front lower control arms and rear camber adjustment bolts coming loose).

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep. Exactly what happened to me a few months ago. When I took it back it was told they tightened everything back up. I sure hope it hasn't loosened back up again.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
Very common for the lower front control arms to loosen after alignment. Most tech just do not tighten them tight enough. It will be very noticeable when they loosen up.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts
Get some new tires. Experienced this on another car and tires fixed all.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. Tires on the way. On the subject of slipping the control arm after alignment - seems to be a common issue. Does anyone make a lockout or something like that to keep this from happening?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
While I wait on tire swap... Was playing with the mag ride control on the way home and noticed that when in sport mode I experience less wandering. Does this make sense if root cause is in fact tires?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Four new shoes installed last weekend; PSS's all around. Issue is less noticeable but it still doesn't feel right. Perhaps it is all in my head but the ass of the car feels loose from time to time - most noticeable during hard right turns.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Exactly my thought. Have a couple of local guys here - including Ben - that I can reach out to.

·
Premium Member
14,883 Posts
Is 5.5 years a new record?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts