Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed over the last few days that the car seems to be lacking a considerable amount of power, it almost feels as though it gained 1000 lbs. I decided to take a peek under the hood last night and noticed that the heat exchanger fluid reservoir (T with cap) was nearly empty. So I thought, sure enough, there is my problem. A lack of fluid will surely cause high IAT's and pull excessive timing. This morning while the system was cold I popped the cap and filled with water while the car ran, apparently this system was extremely low as I used almost an entire 12 oz bottle of water.

Upon getting to work I checked the fluid level again and it was still low. I have not seen any visible leaks on the ground and cannot smell any antifreeze smells from the engine bay nor can I tell if the exhaust has any new smell to it. Is there a good way to diagnose whether my brick is leaking internally other than pulling the SC cover? If it continues to leak the I will be forced to check the internals. Was not sure if you guys have seen anything like this before.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Checking the brick is not that hard and you know if you have an issue there or not.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good. I'll have to pick up a in-lb torque wrench first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha. True. I'm going to pull the lid this evening and see what I find.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I am kind of curious how much oil I will find in a fairly new SC (~2k miles)
Oil has nothing to do with the SC, other than how fast it would get dirty...if that is what you mean.

Totally agree about Catch Can.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I got one on that is simlar to the Moroso only cheaper and when I pulled my lid to reinforce the brick there was hardly anything there. So it works fine. Good insurance to help keep things cleaner.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Haha, that's almost identical to the cheap one I have as well. The only difference was mine has the ability to add a filter to the top, which I have capped obviously.

Mine wasn't too oily when I took the lid off, so I'm curious to see yours after a 100% clean supercharger as an indicator of how well the catch can is doing.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I also added some stainless steel pot scrubber material to help with filtering and got an additional second filter to have filter in and out. It's double baffled so there is a small space to insert the scrubber between the filters. You can barely see the first filter in the pic below. But seems to work well. I'll see when I pull the lid for the upper pulley install.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Share the pics when you get them.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It was really hard to tell from a quick examination. It almost looks as though the nipple protruding from the brick has experienced some leakage. I was just about to pull the brick and check the orings but realized I don't have a catch pan for the coolant.

What do you guys think? The system was ~12oz short on fluid when I noticed it. This was lost over a 5 month period.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I am guessing you don't have HP Tuners? If you did you could turn on the pump without starting the car. That way you could see if leaking where you think it could be.

·
Premium Member
15,097 Posts
The o ring could be leaking or the brick itself.

Best way to find out is apply 12volts to the pump and see what happens!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No I have yet to get Hptuners.

Doesn't the aeroforce gauge have the ability to turn on the pump? I was looking to source one of these soon. Until then I'll just power the pump like Random said and see if that connection is leaking.

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Reactions: Rumdig
1 - 20 of 21 Posts