Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive tried the toyo R888r and i fucking love the tires, but they are noisy af. Im trying to chase down a rear noise, and need to go with a quieter tire for peace of mind :eek: . has anyone tried both tires and can say one is better/worse/same? Ive pretty much heard that the MT ET street SS is awesome, but $350 a tire makes me want to double check :cool: TIA yall

·
Registered
686 Posts
Complains about cost of $350 a tire but runs r888r haah I kid I kid, both are expensive options. You might find that the SS is quieter but it is an entirely different tire that is heavily geared toward straight line performance versus the r888r

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha i have a wholesale tire account, but they dont sell mickeys so i have to pay retail (i know first world problems). Thanks for the input, its what i was looking to hear

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I run MT on my drag setup and R888R on my road/ Texas Mike setup. I love them both but MT hooks better at the strip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I'd love to try the R888's, because the NT05R's SUCK! I miss my Mickey SS's.

Reactions: CTPV11

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Apples to Oranges on comparison. Yes the R888R's are noisy other than that great all purpose tire for autox/street/track. If you can live with the noise great otherwise I would go to a PSS or pole position for similar performance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Apples to Oranges on comparison. Yes the R888R's are noisy other than that great all purpose tire for autox/street/track. If you can live with the noise great otherwise I would go to a PSS or pole position for similar performance.
A PSS is nowhere near the performance a R888 has. Sport Cup 2's maybe, but absolutely not a PSS. I don't know how people think they're even a decent tire at anything more than stock power levels.

·
Registered
337 Posts
What about the Trofeo R? I read a discussion on the rennlist forum about the R888 and individual complaining about the noise too. You might want to research the Pirelli. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I run Toyo R888R's for my road course setup. Great tire! 335/30/18r, 305/30/18f on Deity 18x12.5r, 18x11f. I would definitely stick with M/T's for 1/4 mile work. Also, I used SimpleTire for the Toyos. If you watch for sales you can catch them for 15% off with coupon code. I paid $1,107 delivered for my setup above.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I run Toyo R888R's for my road course setup. Great tire! 335/30/18r, 305/30/18f on Deity 18x12.5r, 18x11f. I would definitely stick with M/T's for 1/4 mile work. Also, I used SimpleTire for the Toyos. If you watch for sales you can catch them for 15% off with coupon code. I paid $1,107 delivered for my setup above.
I've had good luck with TireBuyer, just looked at SimpleTire, currently have 10% off Toyo. I'll have to watch this. Have ET Streets, but looking at the R888R for road course

·
Registered
827 Posts
okay good. Haha didn’t mean to jump on yah, I just get so heated when people say the PSS is equivalent to anything quality. Proceeed =]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah unfortunately, Michelin has such strong brand-recognition that 95% of people say PSS is the best, even if they haven't tried a different tire or they don't use them at their limit so they wouldn't know anyway. My friend also gets super angry when people throw PSS into the mix when talking capable track tires. I'm on Conti Extreme Sports right now and will be moving to R888R once I burn these up.

Reactions: MYV and Det_Riot

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Yeah unfortunately, Michelin has such strong brand-recognition that 95% of people say PSS is the best, even if they haven't tried a different tire or they don't use them at their limit so they wouldn't know anyway. My friend also gets super angry when people throw PSS into the mix when talking capable track tires. I'm on Conti Extreme Sports right now and will be moving to R888R once I burn these up.
For the record I run Michelin Pilot SS for daily driving. Car came with MPSS ZP run flats. Great tire but barely lasted 8K miles. Switched to MPSS non-runflats and I have 11K on them with at least 50% tread life left. The R888R's enable me to drive on my track wheels to VIR and back not change over.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Just put on my second set of Cup 2's and still love them. To be sure - they are NOT as sticky in a straight line as the M/T's or other dedicated DR's - but the ride is comfy, corner is superb, noise is low, and my last set lasted somewhere between 20 and 25k miles - unreal for a DOT legal track tire.

I just put another set of Super Sports on my wife's Audi, but only because they are 285/35/21's and there just aren't a lot of options. On her car with AWD, the Super Sports do really well and they last 30-35k miles being a tougher compound and a square setup so we can rotate them.

The MPSS isn't bad - it's the stock tire on the V3 and by all accounts that car has world-class handling. It will only improve with stickier rubber, but folks should acknowledge that a big 4 door sedan with nearly 1G cornering capability isn't that way because the MPSS is a rubbish tire. That said - a modded RWD only car is going to roast them for sure.

·
Jaguar
869 Posts
Just put on my second set of Cup 2's and still love them. To be sure - they are NOT as sticky in a straight line as the M/T's or other dedicated DR's - but the ride is comfy, corner is superb, noise is low, and my last set lasted somewhere between 20 and 25k miles - unreal for a DOT legal track tire.

I just put another set of Super Sports on my wife's Audi, but only because they are 285/35/21's and there just aren't a lot of options. On her car with AWD, the Super Sports do really well and they last 30-35k miles being a tougher compound and a square setup so we can rotate them.

The MPSS isn't bad - it's the stock tire on the V3 and by all accounts that car has world-class handling. It will only improve with stickier rubber, but folks should acknowledge that a big 4 door sedan with nearly 1G cornering capability isn't that way because the MPSS is a rubbish tire. That said - a modded RWD only car is going to roast them for sure.
Agreed, MPSS is definitely a good cornering tire and with ride quality too, they are not for straight line hook unless you have v3 traction control.

Did you really get that many miles out of the cup2s? Thats awesome and will have me consider them as I got 20 out my last set of mpss.

Eye candy of v3 road holding with MPSS @ COTA V-lab:

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts
Agreed, MPSS is definitely a good cornering tire and with ride quality too, they are not for straight line hook unless you have v3 traction control.

Did you really get that many miles out of the cup2s? Thats awesome and will have me consider them as I got 20 out my last set of mpss.

I'll confirm - Discount has the mileage last set was put on so should be easy to verify with some accuracy.

Honestly I wasn't sure what to expect but I got a hella lot more than I thought I would.

By comparison - when we got extended freezing weather here I out my OE wheels and tires on. The PS/2's are almost at the wear bars after one winter in Houston!! So the Cup 2's easily outlast the stock V2 tires.

I would totally say run them on your V3. Like I said - not drag radials but far better than the MPSS for straight line accel. And unlike a DR that will last 5k miles, the Cuo 2's should get you anywhere from 12-20k miles.

My car has 46k miles. I have run some MPSS's on there and the stock PS/2 - but most of the miles were on the Cup 2's. Totally happy with them. Pricey, but good.

·
Premium Member
17,731 Posts

And thats damn good for a 30 degree steering angle!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts