Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 hr driver education course due to "traveling too fast for conditions" about 115 in a 70

Anyway, basically listening to the instructor and clicking the mouse when and where he says to.

The instructor discussed how so many cars today are extremely powerful and even his Honda Accord easily goes past 100 mph. He goes on the explain that most drivers will never go 100 mph in their lifetime and it's irresponsible for automakers to keep making cars faster and faster. He then asks how many people here have ever actually driven 100 mph? I'm thinking....Over 100 mph today? Um, yea, about 105 passing a Toyota on the highway this morning....... Thinking, because I know when to keep my mouth shut

·
Premium Member
‘13 WDT A6 sedan, headers, intake, two booster seats in the back.
3,050 Posts
Nice. Is it irresponsible? Maybe. But, yeah, daily. Especially on work days. 5:00 am in country roads, absolutely.
And, maybe I haven’t read the laws lately, but if someone is doing 35 in a 50 you can exceed the speed limit to pass as long as you come back down to the speed limit. How long dies it take to go from 35 to 100? Not much.

I would like to take a driving class (not per government suggestion), more like with Michael in my passenger seat pushing me to go faster, brakes sooner, when to turn in, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts
2 hr driver education course due to "traveling too fast for conditions" about 115 in a 70

Anyway, basically listening to the instructor and clicking the mouse when and where he says to.

The instructor discussed how so many cars today are extremely powerful and even his Honda Accord easily goes past 100 mph. He goes on the explain that most drivers will never go 100 mph in their lifetime and it's irresponsible for automakers to keep making cars faster and faster. He then asks how many people here have ever actually driven 100 mph? I'm thinking....Over 100 mph today? Um, yea, about 105 passing a Toyota on the highway this morning....... Thinking, because I know when to keep my mouth shut
"Instructor" probably hates firearms, and the idea of personal responsibility. Was he wearing his pussy-hat, too?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would like to take a driving class (not per government suggestion), more like with Michael in my passenger seat pushing me to go faster, brakes sooner, when to turn in, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Google HPDE organizations in your area. It's great fun, can get expensive once the bug gets you though :)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Back in the mid-80s, when I first realized I had a performance driving addiction, I took a 3-day Skip Barber "advanced driving" class at Lime Rock (they offered the same driving school to a number of east-coast police departments). I didn't really learn anything I didn't already know, since I'm an engineer and vehicle dynamics are something I understand. But it gave me 3 days of practice in someone else's car. Back then, it was less than $1000 (not including hotel/food) and worth every penny. Now these schools are quite a bit more expensive. But I still strongly encourage performance-car newbies that I know to take a class. You'll learn how to get more enjoyment from the car while also improving your safety.

Cars and Coffee Mustang crashes are a classic example of why performance driving schools are important. In every video I've watched, you can hear the engine banging off the rev limiter even as the car departs the roadway for a ditch (or crowd). The drivers ends up with the car doing something unexpected and since they're completely lacking in any training whatsoever, their brains vapor lock and their foot stays on the gas well past the point of any hope of recovery...

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Car that is designed to go to high 100s,like ours, feels better at 100 than his Accord.

I wager we can go from 70 to 110 and back down to 70 before he gets to 100.

·
Registered
2018 CTS-V Black Raven Carbon Package, 2017 Escalade ESV
56 Posts
"didn't we lock you in a dumpster one time?"

"I got out...."

"so what are you, like campus security?"

"I'm your instructor...."

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac CTS-V
617 Posts