Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting ready to install headers this week and have been debating if I should wrap them for some extra heat reduction in the engine compartment.... I have read mixed things, how they help performance as well. But then have also read that wrapping traps heat inside the headers causing the headers to weaken.
I'd love to get everybody's opinion on this, wrap em or not wrap em?

·
Registered
127 Posts
ive gone the ceramic coating to contain heat and better look wont rust over time, if ur stainless then u could wrap it but if they are mild steel then i wouldnt wrap them prob ceramic coat them to also protect over time

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Coatings help keep the exhaust gasses hot. The flow slows down when the gas cools off. And the gas gets denser, which makes it harder to push the rest of the way out the exhaust system.

Coatings really help with Turbos. Their output is a function of exhaust gas heat, not pressure like most people think. But for normally aspirated or blown, I'd expect any gains to be minimal.

Does reduce heat radiation, though. And the less heat in the engine compartment, the better. That shit soaks in to everything.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I wrapped the kooks headers on my c5 quite some time ago, the problem with wrap is after a while it looks like shit. So I ended up pulling them and taking the wrap off, and the stainless looked horrible from I'm assuming the moisture the wrap traps. I polished them for hours and they still looked terrible, then I got them coated and put them back in lol. This might be less of an issue on the v since the headers are buried a little better so you can't see them.

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
Swaintech.

I have it - it is amazing.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
443 Posts
If anything, Coat it...dont wrap them. Otherwise id just leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
Did you leave it white, or paint over it?
My headers are white only. That sounds racist as fuck, but it be what it do.

Easy enough to paint with high-temp stuff, they're just not really all that visible in our engine bay so I didn't waste the time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
i went next level and have thermal barrier coated piston top, heads chamber, valves, in/exh ports which should help minimize any heat transfer into the intake temps and less exhaust temps soaking into the heads, keep all the heat in the chamber to make power hope it al works havnt been able to run it yet

·
Registered
912 Posts
Jet hot coat is the way to go.

Do not wrap!

·
Premium Member
16,088 Posts
Jet hot coat is the way to go.

Do not wrap!

Disagree. Jet hot is preferable to wrapping for sure, but its just another ceramic coating and not really comparable to Swaintech - as I've had both.

Swaintech is superior in every way except "ooh, pretty colors!"

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Wraps are very hard to do (properly). Wraps work well but look bad (IMO). They catch dirt and can trap moisture too.
For a race car or beater, I guess wraps are fine. For my cars, I only do coatings.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Disagree. Jet hot is preferable to wrapping for sure, but its just another ceramic coating and not really comparable to Swaintech - as I've had both.

Swaintech is superior in every way except "ooh, pretty colors!"

Concur. Had Airborne on my first set of headers, good when NA, went FI and they delaminated. Airborne warrantied the coating, stated the coating is not intended for FI applications, would not warrantee again. Swaintech on next set, no issues.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts