Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I've tried most of the ones suggested. I ended up going back to old faithful, the ET streets. The r888's and the new Nittos were pretty good, but I only got three thousand miles out of both of them.
If it weren't for the regular Florida afternoon rain storms....I'd give those ET Streets a go.

Reactions: suprahero

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Taking a survey on tires. Which street tires would you guys say are the best as far as traction for an everyday driver?
Everyday Driving. Key phrase. Since this includes rain then the logical answer would be PS4S. Caveat is they are summer tires. Fortunately I live in Florida and use them year around, and I have had many sets.

Reactions: SimplyDreamin

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've driven my PS4S in at or near freezing temps and I just make sure to drive like a sane person. I think there is an issue with the rubber to get below freezing then driving on them. My car is garage kept, so the tires probably don't ever see below freezing. Luckily mine isn't a daily driver, so I don't have to worry about snow/ice.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Toyo NT05R is the best grip for the price period.
That said it is a summer tire and would not be super fun in the rain.
I run a rain front and NT05Rs year around in northern Cali and with driven with care the rain is not a death trap.
My car makes 800 Wheel and for a street tire you do get spin however. The spin is very predictable and constant. I have run them on stock wheels at a 305/35/19 and did at the track was able to cut a 10.4 at 135MPH on my older set up.

The R888s are the internets favorite tire that honestly heat cycles fast and dies. They are not a good choice for a regular track car.
The biggest question here is grip or cost your driving factor for your next set of tires?

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
The Toyo NT05R is the best grip for the price period.
That said it is a summer tire and would not be super fun in the rain.
I run a rain front and NT05Rs year around in northern Cali and with driven with care the rain is not a death trap.
My car makes 800 Wheel and for a street tire you do get spin however. The spin is very predictable and constant. I have run them on stock wheels at a 305/35/19 and did at the track was able to cut a 10.4 at 135MPH on my older set up.

The R888s are the internets favorite tire that honestly heat cycles fast and dies. They are not a good choice for a regular track car.
The biggest question here is grip or cost your driving factor for your next set of tires?
As well as what are your driving conditions? For example, here in Florida we get afternoon showers, so rain is a factor in choosing the best tire. Not just dry grip. Cost may or may not enter your thought process.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I’m doing research on all suggestion. I live in Virginia and the weather is unpredictable

·
Registered
139 Posts
Getting back to OP, what is the best DD if you don't live in FL or CA? I live in Utah, have run PSS for the last few years and they are awesome for about 4K miles, after that any Subaru can beat me from a stoplight. While burnouts are fun and expensive, they just make me look silly while making a lot of noise and not actually accelerating. As many have stated, summer tires do not work much at all below 50-60 degrees. The car got loose/dangerous on an on ramp when I hit the gas at 75MPH on a dry but cold road and I literally got stuck in a Maverick gas station parking lot with 1/2" of snow, lol. The car is very lightly modded 2011 coupe, CAI, exhaust, pulley, running 305/3519 rear, 265/40/19 front. The car is usually garaged from October-April but weather here changes quickly and can't always resist a nice sunny day in the off months. Obviously these tire sizes limit options, I am leaning towards the Nitto 555s based on reviews and what I have read on this site. If I wre to go for anymore power I don't see any other option but a DR.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have Re71r's. I can do a full hit in first and it wont spin after warming up. I'm at 530 wheel. I haven't had any problems in the rain but I tend drive on the cautious side while its wet out.

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
28 Posts
305 nitto nt05, they aren’t terrible in the rain, heat up quick, but my car doesn’t see winter roads. Good traction once warmed up on a 630 whp sedan.

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Registered
139 Posts
305 nitto nt05, they aren’t terrible in the rain, heat up quick, but my car doesn’t see winter roads. Good traction once warmed up on a 630 whp sedan.
Hey guys, thanks for the input, I can only learn from all of your experience and try to make the best choices. I'm pretty sure all of us with high horsepower RWD cars are trying to figure out this balance whether it is a V, Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
Hey guys, thanks for the input, I can only learn from all of your experience and try to make the best choices. I'm pretty sure all of us with high horsepower RWD cars are trying to figure out this balance whether it is a V, Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.
Mustangs don't get traction with any tire, lol.

·
Registered
268 Posts
For a DD I've never found a better balance of all things (traction, longevity, ride quality, road noise, handling capability, and consistency of all these parameters from brand new to 2/32nd) than the Michelin PS4S. Yes they are expensive but if you can stomach it they're worth it.

Reactions: Blades1_99

·
Registered
955 Posts
I went from Bridgestone RE11 to RE71R. The RE71R is out of production though. The replacement is the RE71RS. You can still get them in workable sizes for our cars. Great dry traction and still good in the rain. Tire rack actually just did their 200 TW tire test and the RS was the best of the group in the wet. The 11 and the R were good in the wet too. Had an auto X on the 11s in the rain and a track session on the Rs in the rain. That said, I think my next tires are going to be the Falken RT660s but we'll see what the landscape looks like when I'm ready to buy in the spring.
Not sure if you drive the car in the wet, Cup tires are BAD in the wet. Outstanding dry traction, but they're going to wear like a drag radial.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts