Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know it's been discussed but I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for recommendations for some tires that will give better tread life but still give some half way decent grip and performance. It's a daily drive and not a track car. maybe willing to give up the summer tire even and go all season. But would prefer a summer tire with just a little better life. My OEM tires are even showing bad signs of weather cracking on the remaining treads before hitting the wear markers. To me, it's not acceptable for a Michelin top tier $$ tire to show "dry rot cracking" in 2-3 years in moderate SC climate. Hell just replaced the original OEM rear tires on a 2000 corvette and they looked better than these 2 year old tires and I don't mean the wear.
tire.jpg

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm tempted to try the G-Max RS from General Tires. 45 day free trial, 360 tread wear rating vs. 300 and supper affordable. Sure it's not going to match the pilot sport 4s performance but $820/set vs. $1326 before taxes. It's almost half the price. So far I have not been able to find any bad reviews on it.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Then buy them and report back later, with either glowing reviews or tales of woe.

For my 325s I will be staying with PS4

·
Banned
72 Posts
I'm tempted to try the G-Max RS from General Tires. 45 day free trial, 360 tread wear rating and supper affordable. Sure it's not going to match the pilot sport 4s performance but $820/set vs. $1326 before taxes. It's almost half the price. So far I have not been able to find any bad reviews on it.

Never saw those, but I ran General grabbers on my Ram for a year or so. Hooked pretty good for a street truck, did well in the rain and light snow. It only made a bit over 400 to the tires though, lol.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I'll state the obvious: the characteristics that make tires "grip" is precisely why they don't last long. Conversely, tires that last a long time, don't grip.
Tires are how all of the performance characteristics of your car get translated (handling, braking, acceleration, road feel, and even "ride"). I never understood putting an all season, or a high-miler tire on a performance car.
To each their own, but I would take a hard look at the Michelin Pilot Sport 4's and not much else.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Life is a compromise, and you get what you pay for. I didn't cheap out purchasing my V Wagon or my ATS-V, I'm definitely getting the best rubber I can. My ATS-V is my DD and I've lost count how many tires I've bought for that car. Every one the PS4S.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Tread wear ratings for different brands don't match up. There is no standard so a 260 rating from one brand may last longer than a 400 from another.

·
Premium Member
V Coupe Pedal car
1,118 Posts
Tread wear ratings for different brands don't match up. There is no standard so a 260 rating from one brand may last longer than a 400 from another.
Wait..... I thought “Uniform Tire Grading System” meant that there was a standard by definition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Yes, this rating is required by the government, but assigned by the manufacturer, and not certified by any third party. Personally, I do not use this as a criteria for buying tires, per se. However, if I was buying tires for my CTS-V and I saw a treadwear rating of 600 (or even 400), I would know that this tire is not for me and my driving style.

It is also worth noting that cracking, dry, rot, and UV damage can happen to any tire with a hard or soft rubber compound. These conditions are closely related to inflation, how the vehicle is stored, UV exposure, tire age (before and after the purchase), and how the tire is used. Buying a long life or high treadwear tire does not promise the tires wont show cracking as pictured above.

I prefer the PS4's, but the stock PSS's are good tires in my eyes. The PSS's are not tires that crack prematurely. If the OP has a 2016 with the original tires, that is old for a performance tire. If the tires are newer than 2016, then depending upon UV exposure, storage, inflation, etc., the cracking may be warranted, but not necessarily normal under "optimal" conditions.

I would look at new PS4's. For the most part, you do get what you pay for in the tire market. I bought Sumitomo's HTR's once (for a car I was soon to trade in), and had to re-buy proper Michelins to throw out the Sumi's after a week of driving. Those cheap tires were an expensive mistake.

·
Registered
16 Posts
anyone running the goodyear supercar 3 (not R)? I know they are better track tires than PS4S, but how are they at street temps in 60F days? They are OEM tires for Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This was the second set of tires front and back. Fronts are about 3 years old and rear are about 2. I agree with the tire is the limiting factor in performance. My thought is, if I need maximum grip and performance i need the maximum performance tire. However, this car is my wife's daily commuter car and she has never given it full throttle. When I drive it, I do occasionally but 95% of the time I don't need maximum tire performance. I think what is important to us is a tire the gives comfort and quiet ride and a little better thread life at the expense of a little performance. If the G-max can give that with 80% - 90% performance of the PS4 then it may be a better trade off for us. At half the price I think it's a better choice for our use. I may be wrong but I think I'll give them a try. If we don't like them in the first 45 days, I'll get a refund and go PS4's.

I'll report back later.
Thanks.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I've had great results with the Continental ExtremeContact Sports. 4 years, 20k miles and while the rears are ready to replace, the fronts still have lots of life left in em.

Quiet ride which is important to me and good traction. Granted 1st and 2nd will spin (and 3rd spins when they get worn) but it all depends on how you drive it.

I have new wheels comin and had Jon a BWD mount Continentals on them because I like em that much and I'm just a few horse power short of a million.... 😁

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Well, I don’t agree, and I still have never been able to change anyone’s mind via the internet... lol
Honestly, I’m sure you will be happy with your choice, I just use every bit of my tires and would welcome even more traction.
I respect that your wife doesn’t drive that way. That is great for you two, because on her car, my ole lady is burning through $450 Michelins like we own a rubber tree plantation! :oops:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I like your ole lady!

Reactions: 1sloV2

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I don’t agree, and I still have never been able to change anyone’s mind via the internet... lol
Honestly, I’m sure you will be happy with your choice, I just use every bit of my tires and would welcome even more traction.
I respect that your wife doesn’t drive that way. That is great for you two, because on her car, my ole lady is burning through $450 Michelins like we own a rubber tree plantation! :oops:

Ha, ha. awesome!

I 've made some some wrong choices before. This may be one. But at least it shouldn't be a very expensive one and could be a good one.

Reactions: nsaness

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went from the factory spec Michelin Pilot Super Sports to the Pilot Sport 4S tires and they are not even in the same league as the PSS’s. The 4S’s totally rock! They car rides so much smoother, quieter, and sticks much better. No more breaking loose at 50mph! You’re driving a $100,000 car don’t skimp on tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 111 Posts