Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2019 CTSV Pedestal Edition, cold air intake, alp laser system, clear bra
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Michigan and last had the car out on Thanksgiving (temps 35-40F), I have 17,000 miles on car and when cleaning up for the winter found the fronts had cracked on the inner side of both front tires.

Looking at wear I wonder if alignment was a factor, car had not been touched until I had it aligned a year/3,000 miles ago at the dealer after a a pot hole, then because it didn't feel right had the alignment redone.

I am having trouble finding similar examples of similar damage, wondering if it's the cold or alignment. Any thoughts, seen this before? Car is away for winter. What I don't like now that I see the two alignments is it seemed to revert to the original alignment issues after a month. I attached the alignment sheet, the original problem fixed in October was back in one month and realigned. I'll go back in the spring and talk to management, see if I can get some help if this is alignment related. Appreciate any input, I knew these tires cracked but not sure on this one. They may say you own it because an alignment can be taken out by a driver instantly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, that looks like way too much camber and toe. Is the car "stanced" (please say "no" :) )?

Temp could have been a factor if you started flogging the car hard while the tires were still really cold. But I doubt it since summer rubber doesn't do very well at all in the cold, you wouldn't have been able to flog it much without the nannies cutting in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The first alignment addressed an issue, a month later it showed the same issue and was again corrected. I watched him cinch down the alignment points what looked pretty hard, no idea.

no mods to the car other than cold air, no suspension mods.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
While the camber shows green as in spec it does seem a bit much.

Maybe standing on that Pedestal takes more front end effort 😜

Reactions: Kevin.gts

·
Premium Member
2009 Sedan
1,357 Posts
Television Output device Computer monitor Gadget Line
Output device Font Gadget Rectangle Display device

These specs were posted in another topic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the feedback, thanks. I found a picture similar to my damage, thank you for the feedback. The picture confirms exactly what's been said re: tow and camber. This isn't the V but this is my wear pattern, I'll have to find a place to drive to and have an alignment put on it before I put the new fronts.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I understand the concern on the tires. However, I think the fact the alignment changed so much in just three weeks is a bigger issue. If I was the OP I would do a search for posts containing "Nordlock" It might be worth the expense to keep the V in alignment.

·
Premium Member
13,751 Posts
he stated he hasnt been driving it all winter, that he last drove it around Thanksgiving and it was 35-40

and even so that wouldnt explain the wear on the inner sidewall, OP needs to find a really good alignment shop in his area, maybe someone who deals alot of high end wheels and cars.

·
Registered
79 Posts
35-40 degree should not be a problem. That is NOT what the "cold weather cracking". It would look more like dry rot. My understanding is the V comes with a lot of negative camber for aggressive corning and that does cause high wear on the inside edges where yours is shown. I had my dealer to reduce that negative camber for a more street alignment and that took care of the wear issue. Still it should not cause damage like that. I would suggest you call Michelin and set up a warranty claim. They may help you out on a new set of tires. In which case get the newer version.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
I'd expect Michelin to say that they're not going to warranty anything. The sidewall is clearly worn through to the tire's inner carcass. The tread separation doesn't matter because it's due to severe wear/damage done to the tire by improper alignment.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I live in Michigan and last had the car out on Thanksgiving (temps 35-40F), I have 17,000 miles on car and when cleaning up for the winter found the fronts had cracked on the inner side of both front tires.

Looking at wear I wonder if alignment was a factor, car had not been touched until I had it aligned a year/3,000 miles ago at the dealer after a a pot hole, then because it didn't feel right had the alignme

Looking at wear I wonder if alignment was a factor, car had not been touched until I had it aligned a year/3,000 miles ago at the dealer after a a pot hole, then because it didn't feel right had the alignment redone.

I am having trouble finding similar examples of similar damage, wondering if it's the cold or alignment. Any thoughts, seen this before? Car is away for winter. What I don't like now that I see the two alignments is it seemed to revert to the original alignment issues after a month. I attached the alignment sheet, the original problem fixed in October was back in one month and realigned. I'll go back in the spring and talk to management, see if I can get some help if this is alignment related. Appreciate any input, I knew these tires cracked but not sure on this one. They may say you own it because an alignment can be taken out by a driver instantly.
looks like cold weather cracking to me, nitto dr come with cold weather warning

1 - 20 of 25 Posts