Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 CTSV Coupe M BLK LSX376-B15
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone experienced excessive wear of their 'Thrust Bearing' (2011 CTSV) with manual clutch applications, excessive end play movement, crank noise with clutch pedal depressed? Any info is appreciated. Also, will a stiffer aftermarket clutch potentially cause additional thrust bearing wear vs OEM clutch? Thanks

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have not heard of it. The stock endplay values iirc were like 2-9 thousandths. How did you determine this is coming from the thrust bearing? Is the engine out? If it were at the point it was noticeably sloppy without a dial indicator on the crank you will need new main bearings as again the acceptable tolerance is tight. If you have noise with the clutch depressed it is far more likely to be the throw out bearing on the clutch cylinder

Reactions: Rubber Duck

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I have not heard of it. The stock endplay values iirc were like 2-9 thousandths. How did you determine this is coming from the thrust bearing? Is the engine out? If it were at the point it was noticeably sloppy without a dial indicator on the crank you will need new main bearings as again the acceptable tolerance is tight.
If you have noise with the clutch depressed it is far more likely to be the throw out bearing on the clutch cylinder
Especially if the oil does not show any bearing material in the oil filter. ..

Reactions: Karch and specialp

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should clarify, I'm currently not experiencing any thrust bearing issues. Your right, the throw-out bearing can cause what might initially seem to be similar issue with noise and pedal travel. I am curious to learn from others with Gen4 engines, how well they hold-up with regular high performance use, service, tear down inspection info? My oil reports are not concerning at this point, just what I expect to find during initial break-in with trace ppm bearing metal, typical, performance comes at a high price! I really want to know is if the stiffer line of current clutches available these days might cause the thrust bearing to wear noticeably sooner, particularly with the manuals?

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
I should clarify, I'm currently not experiencing any thrust bearing issues. Your right, the throw-out bearing can cause what might initially seem to be similar issue with noise and pedal travel. I am curious to learn from others with Gen4 engines, how well they hold-up with regular high performance use, service, tear down inspection info? My oil reports are not concerning at this point, just what I expect to find during initial break-in with trace ppm bearing metal, typical, performance comes at a high price! I really want to know is if the stiffer line of current clutches available these days might cause the thrust bearing to wear noticeably sooner, particularly with the manuals?
And if a pig had wings, could it fly?

Reactions: jcs003 and Karch

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And if a pig had wings, could it fly?
I know there are a million "what if" questions, I believe that this forum might be a good place to ask about the newer and stiffer clutches in use these days and any issues that might be associated. It was a thought of mine, I am just trying to get some constructive feedback, guess some humor goes with the territory.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know there are a million "what if" questions, I believe that this forum might be a good place to ask about the newer and stiffer clutches in use these days and any issues that might be associated. It was a thought of mine, I am just trying to get some constructive feedback, guess some humor goes with the territory. Also, any suggestions for replacement disks and pads, nothing outlandishly expensive however, my pig flew away a while ago after I emptied it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts