Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on getting a custom licence plate for your CTS-Vs, or any car for that matter?
I've been told is a douche-bag move, but nothing positive about owing one. I see many clever ones on occasion which gets me to thinking about one for myself.
What do you all think? And, if you have one or seen a clever one, what were they?
I might "borrow" it if it's available in Michigan. I have no imagination to think of one on my own.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I'm wondering what the general consensus is on getting a custom licence plate for your CTS-Vs, or any car for that matter?
I've been told is a douche-bag move, but nothing positive about owing one. I see many clever ones on occasion which gets me to thinking about one for myself.
What do you all think? And, if you have one or seen a clever one, what were they?
I might "borrow" it if it's available in Michigan. I have no imagination to think of one on my own.
I have one...lots of us do. Anyone that tells you its a douche move has never owned something worth putting one on IMHO...If you want one for your car, get it!

My car is one of maybe 5 Vs in my city of 350k+ residents. I like that its always the only V in the lot. I like that its unique, so she is named accordingly, via the plate. I also enjoy reading peoples lips as they read it aloud at stoplights :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I don't think its a douche move.. Ive been on the fence about getting a tag and here are my pro's and cons..
Florida has a USMC tag for Vets..badass - Pro. Con- it's and extra $100+ when you renew your tag (yearly). Pro- I call my car the Mistress (because if my wifey knew what I spent on her she would shit and if she said her or the car.. Car wins.!) Con- I hurt some feelings (in mexico) everyone will know the car because of the tag or even LEO may remember me being in a little bit of a "hurry" and get me the next time he sees the tag.. It's an inner battle I've had for a bit.. Hope this just muddied the water for your decision.. LOL good luck

·
Registered
301 Posts
I think it's a regional thing too. In Maine, where I vacation, it seems like EVERY car has personalized plates. Here in Kentucky, it's far less popular.

I am looking for a good one, too. Had "FT-LBS" but technically that's wrong, so when I was renewing my plates I decided to go to a different type of plate and picked "530HP" (limited to 5 chars).
I wish we had 7 chars available here, I would do "KIDSRL8" (I have a wagon).

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Very good contribution Florida-Vee

I too have thought about the fact that when I pass 4 cars in a short passing zone and piss them off that they will be able to identify me 10/10 times.

In NC, I pay an extra $30 a year so the cost isn't too bad.

Also funny as hell about the mistress bit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have a USMC plate here too. I had one that looked like it said BLUNTS (BLNT5). Luck of the draw, i guess. I'm surprised I wasn't pulled over when I had that one.
I'll probably end up getting a custom plate. I just have to think of something clever, which is the hard part for me.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love my support our troops license plate here in Minnesota, Nothing like a Bald eagle on the plate. Also "DirtyV" sounds like a good one! ;)

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have one as well.... Mine is IBADV (the no 1 was taken so its roman numerals 1) lol ..... about to change it though

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I think its a douche bag move if the plate says something douchey. There is a parent that picks his kid up from the same school as my kids and he has an old Escalade like an 09 that says HotBoy on the plate. That to me is douchey. Or when you put your name on the plate (that's mostly a chik thing Ive noticed) that's douche

I considered it when I bought mine but everything cool had already been taken. Plus I like the idea of others not remembering me from my plate

·
Registered
917 Posts
I just ordered this. I think it matches well with the couple's angular rear and Black Diamond paint. Can't wait to slap it on when I get it. Opinions??

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
I don't think its a douche move.. Ive been on the fence about getting a tag and here are my pro's and cons..
Florida has a USMC tag for Vets..badass - Pro. Con- it's and extra $100+ when you renew your tag (yearly). Pro- I call my car the Mistress (because if my wifey knew what I spent on her she would shit and if she said her or the car.. Car wins.!) Con- I hurt some feelings (in mexico) everyone will know the car because of the tag or even LEO may remember me being in a little bit of a "hurry" and get me the next time he sees the tag.. It's an inner battle I've had for a bit.. Hope this just muddied the water for your decision.. LOL good luck
That USMC or any arm of service tag should be free of charge to Vets IMHO.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I generally agree with 07xln... I think it's only douchey if you make it that way. I have put custom plates on most of my cars because it's just another extension of personalizing them to me. But I also understand the security concern. I guess my thought there is, don't piss too many people off and you'll be fine. :) But I'm guilty of that too.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I don't like the attention the plates can cause and most of the younger crowd have something that says "look at me may no hands" can be douchey like 07 said. TEHO.

My last custom plate was 348SS when I had my F car as non F people don't know the model numbers and it was available so I ordered it. Overall I like to read them especially on the subaru's that are carting around lesbo's.

One of my favorites was a Maserati that a guy took to a track day that I was at. The plate said "DOES 186" and he proceeded to wad the car at the event. Oh well.

Overall I like them, just not for me.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I don't like the attention the plates can cause and most of the younger crowd have something that says "look at me may no hands" can be douchey like 07 said. TEHO.

My last custom plate was 348SS when I had my F car as non F people don't know the model numbers and it was available so I ordered it. Overall I like to read them especially on the subaru's that are carting around lesbo's.

One of my favorites was a Maserati that a guy took to a track day that I was at. The plate said "DOES 186" and he proceeded to wad the car at the event. Oh well.

Overall I like them, just not for me.
SOB thinks he can beat Joe Walsh hunh? Got what was coming to him.

And yes if your plate says hot boy you are a raging tool, lol.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think a personalized plates says a lot about a persons personality and they can also be funny and witty. I had EVIL V for a year and just changed it a month ago to WIDOMKR do to the increase in power its about to have. Wife doesn't care for it. Ha!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I do not find anything wrong with it either. As CarCrazyRDM said, it is another extension of how you choose to express yourself. Just be prepared that your expression of yourself may have different reactions and consequences based on what you care to express. I have had plenty throughout the years and, I don't know if it is just a factor of age, but I tend not to want one now and would prefer to just blend into the crowd. I have seen some good ones though for the V's, I think there is already a Thread on that topic somewhere? May want to check the search feature and see if you can find any you may want to "borrow" :)

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Ones that make you look like a douche are definitely wrong. I have 27WK which was my Grandfather's plate 100 years ago. When he got his first car he went to the license bureau and asked for a plate with his initials. That is what they gave him. My Dad had it until he passed away last year and now I have it. It is still nebulous enough that no one will think twice about it, but it sure has meaning. My son can't wait until I die!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
My personalized plate works with my plate frame and service on subs and being a diver on a FSU tag.

I totally get the them remembering a tag like "BLUBYU"

·
Premium Member
7,089 Posts
I think its a douche bag move if the plate says something douchey. There is a parent that picks his kid up from the same school as my kids and he has an old Escalade like an 09 that says HotBoy on the plate. That to me is douchey. Or when you put your name on the plate (that's mostly a chik thing Ive noticed) that's douche

I considered it when I bought mine but everything cool had already been taken. Plus I like the idea of others not remembering me from my plate
LOL at HotBoy. This is getting strange, we have agreed on like 3 things in the past week. My car gets no attention other than the crowd that creeps by at a traffic light staring at it like they smelled the nastiest fart in the history of the universe.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
That USMC or any arm of service tag should be free of charge to Vets IMHO.
Agreed!!! Every vehicle I own would have it..!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts