Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a very simple task to complete, but has anyone done a "How-To" on thermostat installation?
I've searched here on in the how to section but have yet to find anything

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Not very difficult at all. You could undo the lower rad hose and let it drain into a large tub before removing the 2 bolts on the passenger side housing the stat. Once you pull that away, there will be more coolant coming out, so be prepared for that. Clean both mating surfaces before putting a thin layer of black RTV silicone, install the new stat, and bolt it back together. Reattach lower rad hose and refill coolant via the overflow tank by the driver's side firewall. Squeeze the large hoses to help burp the system while refilling all of the recovered coolant. Run the engine up to temp and check for leaks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick rundown. As soon as the weather clears up a bit I'm going to pull the car in the garage for a couple weeks and start riding the bike

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Not very difficult at all. You could undo the lower rad hose and let it drain into a large tub before removing the 2 bolts on the passenger side housing the stat. Once you pull that away, there will be more coolant coming out, so be prepared for that. Clean both mating surfaces before putting a thin layer of black RTV silicone, install the new stat, and bolt it back together. Reattach lower rad hose and refill coolant via the overflow tank by the driver's side firewall. Squeeze the large hoses to help burp the system while refilling all of the recovered coolant. Run the engine up to temp and check for leaks.
Appreciate those instructions.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,489 Posts
Appreciate those instructions.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
No problem, when I buttoned up everything after the cam install, my stat was leaking a bit from that point. Did some research and had to add the RTV which fixed the leak.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If I remember right, the thermostat housing has a small notch in it and the the gasket has a small tab on it that has to fit in the notch or it will have a small slow drip. I didn't notice it when I put mine back on but noticed it when I pulled it back a part to fix the leak.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
ive never had to use silicone as long as the t stat is new and the housing is clean. as mentioned line up the tab , throw some o ring lube on it if anything .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I might have to tackle this too. I've had my new Stat in the box since the end of 2018. Thanks for the instructions.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts