Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with a thermal blanket for under the Supercharger? I see complete street performance sells one.

Thank you,

John

·
Premium Member
16,069 Posts
Meh.

Gimmick IMHO.

The truth is, under WOT the supercharger makes more heat than is radiated from the engine (ie it gets to 200+* F in a hurry).

I tested phenolic spacers with a blanket and found that any benefit (a delay of heat soak on cold starts) disappeared as soon as you heat the SC up with boost. Once heat soaked it makes zero difference.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Meh.

Gimmick IMHO.

The truth is, under WOT the supercharger makes more heat than is radiated from the engine (ie it gets to 200+* F in a hurry).

I tested phenolic spacers with a blanket and found that any benefit (a delay of heat soak on cold starts) disappeared as soon as you heat the SC up with boost. Once heat soaked it makes zero difference.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
Makes sense. The space would likely need to be substantial to really see much benefit.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
If you have a vented hood, it might actually make more of a difference. Yeah, the blower generates a lot of heat when it compresses the air, but how quickly it dissipates that heat will be a function of how much heat there is from other sources. The engine block is a big source of heat. The blower can only dissipate through the top (and the intercooler, of course). All the heat radiating out of the top of the block has to pass through the blower. That adds to the heat the blower is generating for itself. The top of the blower's ability to radiate the heat doesn't change. More heat going in plus the heat it's generating on its own, the charge air has to be hotter. If you insulate the blower from the block with good air circulation around the blower so it's not just sitting in an easy bake oven, the situation changes. The only heat the top of the blower has to radiate away is the heat it generates. It doesn't also have to conduct and radiate all the heat from the block. So if it's not surrounded by hot air so there's some place for the heat to go, insulating the blower from the block should result in the charge air temp running cooler. Because: thermodynamics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts