Cadillac CTS-V Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most you've spent at one time on a round of maintanence, upgrades, fixes etc on your car?

What car?
What was the money for?

Extra points for stories that start small and then escalated into a bunch of while you were there stuff.

I'll start. My 996 Turbo needs a clutch. I plan on upgrading to a better one along with a gt2 slave conversion. The proper way to do it is drop engine and transmission. So while it's out im doing a bunch of preventative maintanence and fixing all the weak points I can for a 20 year old car with 20 year old hoses, waterpump, etc This job will be right around $10k. I've spent more over time with cars but not all at once.

Sent from a misfiring cylinder

·
Premium Member
2,627 Posts
Thought you were asking how much Random84 has spent of blow and hookers....its a lot. I think he has sunk some cash into his car too...but probably because theres a hooker in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
"Speed costs. How fast do you wanna go?"

Dick or wallet measuring to achieve the above, is pointless because there is always someone with bigger one of the aforementioned.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Figured on this forum guys wouldn't want to reveal lol. Full builds get costly

Sent from a misfiring cylinder

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
I went cheap:

Not counting the first 5 years of mods (multiple blowers, heads, cam, bushings, dyno tuning, headers, two clutches, lids, cooling mods, etc)...

$13 for the longblock
$2 for the longblock refresh
$4.5 for the blower, porting, pulley, etc
$2.5 for the coated headers
$2 for the coilovers
$7 for the Surprise! Differential, axles and driveshaft
$2 for fuel system
$.5 for tuning
$6 for the replacement blower :)D)
$1 for ancillary costs?
$.5 for the wheel refinishing

And I probably recouped $13 from selling the take-off parts. So under $30. For this round.

I didnt count the hookers, blow or disposal costs.

It is cheaper to go Twins, really.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,815 Posts
One winter I decided to do a stereo in my Chevelle. In the mean time I thought it needed an LSA and a T56 magnum (already sold my V, so was missing the LSA bad). After all was said and done, $20,000, and I still don’t have a better sound system in it! Haha Probably recouped ~$8,000 selling the 509 and M22.

I also went a cheaper way than Jesse.

new SBE- $4500
Gm ls3 cnc heads- $1500
Lt1z cam and shit- $2,000
T56 magnum kit- $5,000 friends cost
Clutch- $1500
Fuel tank pumps- $2000
Built my own headers- $1,000
Install kit- $500 shitty, modified
Harness + miscellaneous- $2000

I’m also not counting the ported blower, heat exchanger, hx pump, NorCal tank, plug wires, etc... The little shit is a killer also. I already had all that shit from the V so I reused it all.

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts
Who tells their wife? I had the motor in my garage for almost a year before she noticed - and she parks right next to it. :D

This is all "maintenance." 80k miles adds up, honey.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Back in the spring of 2014 I had been poking around the interwebz looking at new V Wagons, mostly just dreaming and drooling. I was only searching for stick shift examples and I'd pointed out a couple of possibles to my wife...she'd glance over and say how nice it was, trying to hide her indifference. As my 50th birthday approached, she asked if I wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch the next Saturday. We live in Lexington, KY and at the time, that meant going to Louisville or Cincinnati for lunch. We'd been to Louisville only a week or two before, so we decided on Cincinnati. We went and had a nice lunch and just as we finished up, I mentioned that the sinister black V Wagon we'd looked at online a couple of days before was not far away. She actually seemed a little bit interested, so we set off for the dealership. When we pulled up, the V Wagon was right out front all cleaned up with some people standing around admiring it. The driver's door was open, like someone was getting ready to get in and drive it away. My spirits sank thinking I'd missed my chance and it was going home with someone else! We got out and my heart was all aflutter as we walked over towards that dark, beautiful beast...I'd only ever seen pictures up till now! I assumed the guy in the shirt and tie was the sales manager and he was bidding the new owner farewell. Just as we approached and much to my surprise, the sales manager turns to me, holds out the key (fob) and says "Happy Birthday!". I look at my wife, who was crying, and she exclaims "Happy Birthday baby!". All the paperwork was already done, so all we had to do was get in and drive away. She'd even arranged for someone from the dealership to drive her car back to Lexington a couple of days later. Best wife ever! One of the best days ever!

So our $70 lunch got upgraded to a brand new $70,000+ CTS-V Wagon, which is still in the garage with about 24K joyous miles. Whenever someone stops me to ask about it, which is often, I'm sure to mention that my wife bought it for me when I turned 50. Most just smile and say they wish they had a wife like mine! Last fall, I returned the favor by buying her a new Supra, which I'm pretty sure was the first one in this area. Sadly, it was not a surprise like my V had been, but she still loves it and still loves me too!

Sorry if my post isn't in the true spirit of this thread, but I love telling the story so I tried to make it fit with the theme...?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Back in the spring of 2014 I had been poking around the interwebz looking at new V Wagons, mostly just dreaming and drooling. I was only searching for stick shift examples and I'd pointed out a couple of possibles to my wife...she'd glance over and say how nice it was, trying to hide her indifference. As my 50th birthday approached, she asked if I wanted to go to the Cheesecake Factory for lunch the next Saturday. We live in Lexington, KY and at the time, that meant going to Louisville or Cincinnati for lunch. We'd been to Louisville only a week or two before, so we decided on Cincinnati. We went and had a nice lunch and just as we finished up, I mentioned that the sinister black V Wagon we'd looked at online a couple of days before was not far away. She actually seemed a little bit interested, so we set off for the dealership. When we pulled up, the V Wagon was right out front all cleaned up with some people standing around admiring it. The driver's door was open, like someone was getting ready to get in and drive it away. My spirits sank thinking I'd missed my chance and it was going home with someone else! We got out and my heart was all aflutter as we walked over towards that dark, beautiful beast...I'd only ever seen pictures up till now! I assumed the guy in the shirt and tie was the sales manager and he was bidding the new owner farewell. Just as we approached and much to my surprise, the sales manager turns to me, holds out the key (fob) and says "Happy Birthday!". I look at my wife, who was crying, and she exclaims "Happy Birthday baby!". All the paperwork was already done, so all we had to do was get in and drive away. She'd even arranged for someone from the dealership to drive her car back to Lexington a couple of days later. Best wife ever! One of the best days ever!

So our $70 lunch got upgraded to a brand new $70,000+ CTS-V Wagon, which is still in the garage with about 24K joyous miles. Whenever someone stops me to ask about it, which is often, I'm sure to mention that my wife bought it for me when I turned 50. Most just smile and say they wish they had a wife like mine! Last fall, I returned the favor by buying her a new Supra, which I'm pretty sure was the first one in this area. Sadly, it was not a surprise like my V had been, but she still loves it and still loves me too!

Sorry if my post isn't in the true spirit of this thread, but I love telling the story so I tried to make it fit with the theme...?
Great story

·
Premium Member
12,704 Posts
i was going to bust on you for driving out of your way for Cheesecake Factory lunch lol
out of curiosity what was her plan if you didnt suggest the lunch ?

·
Premium Member
14,898 Posts

Sorry if my post isn't in the true spirit of this thread, but I love telling the story so I tried to make it fit with the theme...
Holy shit. That is fucking AWESOME!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,066 Posts
Who tells their wife? I had the motor in my garage for almost a year before she noticed - and she parks right next to it. :D

This is all "maintenance." 80k miles adds up, honey.
As I stated right before you haha. When my last motor developed a tick, it needed new heads, lifters, ported blower and larger injectors for E as maintenance.

Good read, got me a little!

·
Registered
175 Posts
i was going to bust on you for driving out of your way for Cheesecake Factory lunch lol
out of curiosity what was her plan if you didnt suggest the lunch ?
Not sure if she had a back-up plan. I subscribe to the “Happy wife, happy life.” theory so I just kind of go along with whatever she wants. She said Cinci, so Cinci it was. I’m guessing that if I hadn’t mentioned the V Wagon during lunch she would have brought it up somehow...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts